Jack Redington

Default boat batteries

RCE wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

I just put in two car batteries 12v in my boat and nothing happens. I
put the wires on the wrong terminals for an instant and then corrected
my mistake. Nothing happens. I checked all my fuses and nothing
blown. I was told to use interstate # SRM27XHD batteries. I couldn't
find them so I used sears. What did I do wrong.
Mark

When you say "nothing happens" .... can you be a little more specific?

One of the most common "forgets" with an outboard (assuming you are talking
outboard here) is forgetting to install the safety clip on the kill switch.
I do it all the time. Forget that and nothing will happen.

RCE

On a io the engine will crank, it just will not fire with the safety
clip disengaged. But cranking is somthing just not running..

Capt Jack R..

Jack Redington

mark wrote:

i/o motor 250 hp my master switch is on both or either and still
nothing at all. no ratio or lights or anything

After verifying that the batteries have a charge, I would check the
ground and bypass the switch. You should be seeing power somewhere
unless there is major corrosion a broken cable I would think. Even if it
does not start.

Capt Jack R..

mark

Hi, Tilt and trim works. nothing else. I can't reach the starter
solenoid because the red wire goes under the engine on the other side.
can't see where it goes. I tryed connecting the red wire to the
circuit breaker switch with no luck. I either have the wrong batteries
Sears 12v car batteries or I blew something when I connected to the
wrong terminals. thats my opinion. I even tryed to connect the red
lead to the alternator again no luck getting a reading. There are 3
fuses that are on top of the engine with red wires going to it. My guy
thought those fuses were blown. of course their not. this is getting
very frustrating. kill switch is on. all black leads are hooked up
the the battery. The only fuse that did blow is the bildge pump fuse
that runs directly off the battery. The radio timer fuse that also
runs directly off the battery was not blown. I replaced the fuse. I'm
going to buy a gun. first use it on my boat then on me.
Mark

RCE

"Jack Redington" wrote in message
nk.net...

On a io the engine will crank, it just will not fire with the safety clip
disengaged. But cranking is somthing just not running..

Capt Jack R..

Now that I think about it, it's the same with an outboard too. It'll crank,
but not start.
It's been awhile since I used my outboard.

Thanks for the correction. I feel for the OP. Hoping he didn't fry
something when he hooked the batteries up backwards. My son did that to his
first car - an '87 Merc. Messed it up pretty bad.

RCE

RCE

mark

boat is quite new. all wires are clean with no corrosion. It worked
with the old batteries right up until it died. when i replaced new
batteries nothing works. I either blew something or i have the wrong
batteries. power tilt is the only think that works.
Mark

RCE

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
boat is quite new. all wires are clean with no corrosion. It worked
with the old batteries right up until it died. when i replaced new
batteries nothing works. I either blew something or i have the wrong
batteries. power tilt is the only think that works.
Mark

It's not your batteries. Keep plugging away. You're going to find the
problem and feel pretty good about your new found knowledge of how your boat
works.

RCE

Jack Redington

RCE wrote:

"Jack Redington" wrote in message
nk.net...

On a io the engine will crank, it just will not fire with the safety clip
disengaged. But cranking is somthing just not running..

Capt Jack R..

Now that I think about it, it's the same with an outboard too. It'll crank,
but not start.
It's been awhile since I used my outboard.

Thanks for the correction. I feel for the OP. Hoping he didn't fry
something when he hooked the batteries up backwards. My son did that to his
first car - an '87 Merc. Messed it up pretty bad.

RCE

RCE

I hear ya, I would think one of the service guys would know what to
check since it was hooked up incorrectly.

From one of his other post it sound like the power trim works, so he is
getting power in the system. I would think he should be able to get
power to the lights and other things. But so far from what I can tell
that is not the case.

Cheers:

Capt Jack R..

Jack Redington

mark wrote:

boat is quite new. all wires are clean with no corrosion. It worked
with the old batteries right up until it died. when i replaced new
batteries nothing works. I either blew something or i have the wrong
batteries. power tilt is the only think that works.
Mark

Mark - you got me.
I have a hard time believing it is the wrong batteries. since the power
trim works that would seem to imply that the ground is good. I just
can't imagine why the lights would be dead also.

Capt Jack R..

JIMinFL

Typically , trim and tilt is hooked directly to the batteries. Check that
the ground from the battery is connected to a stud on the back of a head.
Check that the red hot side of the battery connects to the battery selector
switch. Check that a red lead is connected from the selector switch to a
post on the starter solenoid. That post on the starter solenoid usually
supplies power to everything else. You need to verify that you have power on
the starter solenoid.
Jim

mark wrote:

boat is quite new. all wires are clean with no corrosion. It worked
with the old batteries right up until it died. when i replaced new
batteries nothing works. I either blew something or i have the wrong
batteries. power tilt is the only think that works.
Mark

Mark - you got me.
I have a hard time believing it is the wrong batteries. since the power
trim works that would seem to imply that the ground is good. I just can't
imagine why the lights would be dead also.

Capt Jack R..

Mark, do you have a multimeter? If not, go to the Home Depot, Lowes or
Radio Shack and get yourself a 20 dollar meter. If you are uncomfortable
with a meter or don't know how to use one, go to a automotive store and get
a 12 volt test probe. It looks like a pointy screwdriver with a light in it
and has a ground wire coming out of the top of the handle. With a meter or
a test probe, people here can walk you through the checks. I suspect you
have an in-line fuse somewhere that you haven't found yet that supplies
power to your ignition switch and to your 12 volt accessories.

RCE