mark

Default boat batteries

I just put in two car batteries 12v in my boat and nothing happens. I
put the wires on the wrong terminals for an instant and then corrected
my mistake. Nothing happens. I checked all my fuses and nothing
blown. I was told to use interstate # SRM27XHD batteries. I couldn't
find them so I used sears. What did I do wrong.
Mark

RCE

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just put in two car batteries 12v in my boat and nothing happens. I
put the wires on the wrong terminals for an instant and then corrected
my mistake. Nothing happens. I checked all my fuses and nothing
blown. I was told to use interstate # SRM27XHD batteries. I couldn't
find them so I used sears. What did I do wrong.
Mark

When you say "nothing happens" .... can you be a little more specific?

One of the most common "forgets" with an outboard (assuming you are talking
outboard here) is forgetting to install the safety clip on the kill switch.
I do it all the time. Forget that and nothing will happen.

RCE

mark

i/o motor 250 hp my master switch is on both or either and still
nothing at all. no ratio or lights or anything

mark

master is on it is an inboard motor 250hp. no radio or lights nothing.
Batteries are 100% charged.

RCE

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
i/o motor 250 hp my master switch is on both or either and still
nothing at all. no ratio or lights or anything

Disconnect the batteries until you find the problem.

Now I assume you have a Mercruiser or one of the clones thereof. Somewhere
on the rear top of the engine there should be a big red circuit breaker -
looks like a big red button if I recall. Push it in, hook your batteries
back up and see what happens.

RCE

mark

I did that with the batteries hooked up. I will diconnect the
batteries and push the red breaker then connect the batteries back up.
I'll let you know. Thanks

Wayne.B

On 20 Feb 2006 15:06:07 -0800, "mark"
wrote:

master is on it is an inboard motor 250hp. no radio or lights nothing.
Batteries are 100% charged.

Get yourself a voltmeter or test light and start tracing down the
power, starting at the battery and working forward.

Billgran

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just put in two car batteries 12v in my boat and nothing happens. I
put the wires on the wrong terminals for an instant and then corrected
my mistake. Nothing happens. I checked all my fuses and nothing
blown. I was told to use interstate # SRM27XHD batteries. I couldn't
find them so I used sears. What did I do wrong.
Mark

A common problem is forgetting to hook up the motor's black ground cable.
Usually just the cable between the negative terminals is installed. One
battery should have twin heavy battery cables on the negative, one for the
motor and one for the 2nd battery.

Bill Grannis
service manager

JIMinFL

In an instant, you can fry the diodes in the alternator with reversed
battery leads. Hopefully the ground going to the back of the engine slipped
down in the bilge out of site. Was anything working before you changed
batteries?
"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just put in two car batteries 12v in my boat and nothing happens. I
put the wires on the wrong terminals for an instant and then corrected
my mistake. Nothing happens. I checked all my fuses and nothing
blown. I was told to use interstate # SRM27XHD batteries. I couldn't
find them so I used sears. What did I do wrong.
Mark

mark

if the diodes are fryed how hard is it to replace them or do I need a
new alternator. Can I test the power going in and out of the
alternator to know for sure it is fryed?