Reggie Smithers

Default IN NATIONAL INTEREST

JimH wrote:
"JohnH" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:12:34 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Calif Bill wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Calif Bill wrote:

I do not think people should smoke. Nasty, ill habit. But that
does not stop me from investing in a stock. I look after the
bottom line, not just "Social Investing".
Your support of any activity that helps tobacco companies impacts
your bottom line in a negative way, even if you think your
investments in those companies somehow serve you well.

It is a legal enterprise. Freedom of choice and the dividend is
very good.

Yes, well, you apparently don't get it, and I'm not referring to
"social investing." Your support of cigarette companies helps
maintain a FINANCIAL burden against all of society, public and
private, one that costs ALL Americans, directly and indirectly tens
of billions of dollars each year in medical insurance premiums,
uninsured costs that must be recovered somehow, lost work and
productivity because of illness, and so forth and so on, ad infinitum.

The taxes on tobacco take in a lot more than is ever spent on health
care for the smokers. Tobacco as well as other "Sin taxes" have
become a cash cow for governments.

Good lord. I joke from time to time about the rationalizations of the
righties, and here you are, providing an example.

One idea might be for the US govt to double taxes on alcohol, tobacco,
firearms/ammunition and gasoline.
The windfall might go a long way to balancing the books. It's
irresponsible to keep spending more than you bring in year after year.

That's already been done about four times for cigarettes.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John, take it to your private political forum please.

JimH,
Why are you snipping at JohnH's heels after everyone of his posts? If
you don't like his request to discuss politics in a political forum,
ignore him. You are spending way to much time playing netcop.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.