JimH

Default JA Henckels Knives

As a surprise gift for my wife I am considering upgrading our kitchen knives
to heirloom quality knives and cannot find anything to match the quality of
the JA Henckels knives, specifically the 'Pro S' series. They are
definitely not cheap but come with a lifetime warranty and I have yet to
read anything negative about them.

Has anyone had any experience with these knives?

JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news
JimH wrote:
As a surprise gift for my wife I am considering upgrading our kitchen
knives to heirloom quality knives and cannot find anything to match the
quality of the JA Henckels knives, specifically the 'Pro S' series. They
are definitely not cheap but come with a lifetime warranty and I have yet
to read anything negative about them.

Has anyone had any experience with these knives?

I bought a full set of Henckels "Five Star" line. I liked the feel of the
handles better. I also bought a "Five Star" dropped blade bread knife, and
eight "Five Star" steak knives.

These are terrific knives. You do not want to run them through the
dishwasher. You wash them in the sink with a dish brush and dish soap.

Get yourself a good sharpener. The sharpening steel tool they include
really is useless. You want a good ceramic sharpener, I use this one:

http://www.agrussell.com/accessories...sharpener.html

Spyderco makes a similar unit. Do not use any sort of grinder.

Be very careful with the steak knives if you order them. They are as sharp
as razor blades. The other knives are damned sharp, too.

The ham-turkey carver is really nice.

Oh...get yourself a good in the drawer wood "keeper" instead of the block.
Saves counter space.

We have several ceramic sharpeners already.........thanks for the tip. I
have always used them on my filet and kitchen knives.

Why didn't you like the Henckels 9" sharpening steel?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg...._1882_52475724

JohnH

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:05:11 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

Oh hell. That's two things we agree on. I don't have the steak knives, but
I love the 5 Stars.

I disagree with your choice of sharpeners. I've used mine for many years
now, and it's great:

http://www.kitchen-universe.com/detail.aspx?ID=2698
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JimH

wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

Ouch. I would not use that on a set of fine knives.

JimH

JimH wrote:
[...]

BTW: Consumer Reports recently did a review on kitchen knives and rated the
Pro S series higher than the 5 Star series.

Is the 5 Star series forged or stamped? What type of handles do they come
with?

Reggie Smithers

wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

I had one of those. I threw it out.

They are two different products. A steel (and I think the product Harry
listed is just a ceramic steel) is used to straighten out the edge of
the knife that gets bent over as you use the knife. The "sharpener"
JohnH listed regrinds the edge. Most people recommend using a steel for
normal use, and on the good quality knives you are discussing should
only ground every few years. Before you grind they knife the knife,
they use the steel to make sure the edge is straight. Most chefs only
have their knives "sharpen" by a professional, and use the steel all
other times.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

JohnH

wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

They do take some learning.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:24:49 -0500, Reggie Smithers
wrote:

wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

The final grade of the sharpener is no more than a steel. It simply adds a
little coarser angle to the edge.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Reggie Smithers

wrote:

wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

A steel does not grind the edge at all, it just bends it back into place.

from: http://www.cutlery.com/t11t26.shtml

A knife's edge is very delicate and with use its miniature teeth will
curl over. A honing steel will realign the edge and also bring to the
surface the carbon molecules that provide most of the cutting action.
Frequent steeling is essential and will keep your knife cutting like new
for months. Use your steel virtually every time you use your knives.

Steeling vs. Sharpening:
Over time, your knife will lose its edge and steeling will not be
effective. At this point, sharpening is necessary. We recommend using an
oil stone, Japanese whetstone or diamond stone. While these do require
learning the technique, they can be easily mastered. An electric
sharpener is a convenient alternative to stone, but a poor model can
damage the edge on good cutlery. Chef's Choice makes the best we have tested

wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

Why would you risk ruining a good set of knives on a contraption like that?