Doug Kanter

Default AllofMyMP3?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
RCE wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
What the music industry needs is a copyright pricing structure that
fairly compensates the actual producers of music AND doesn't rip off
consumers of that product...and they don't have it yet.
One of the reasons midi sequencers like myself stopped sharing some
files on the 'net is because of the threat of lawsuits. Actually,
not threats, but real litigation in some cases that shut down most
sites that featured midi files. Midi files are not music recordings
like mp3s or .wav files. They are a series of instructions to a sound
board, card or instrument that can receive midi instructions. The
sound card or instrument then plays the sequence using it's own, on
board voices.

Royalty collectors like ASCAP and BMI quickly (and perhaps correctly,
depending on your personal feelings on the subject) started to
threaten web site owners that had midi files of popular music
considered to be subject to copyright protection. Even though it was
not technically a recording or performance by a musician, the fact
that someone sequenced a series of instructions for a midi compatible
instrument to reproduce, they claimed copyright infringement.
Original, copyright free compositions are encouraged of course and
often stolen as a basis for new music by songwriters in the industry.

RCE

Sheesh.

Well, most of the music I like was written by guys who have been dead
for more than 100 years, so I assume any MIDI sequencers who code it
are beyond the reach of the ASCAP liars, er, lawyers.

My understanding, based on really limited info, is that iTunes forks
over 70 cents of each 99 cents collected, to the "owner" of the tune.
That's waaaaay too high. A dime is more like it, with a nickel on top
of that for administration, and a nickel on top of that for Apple's
profit...twenty to twenty-five cents a tune is sufficient.

What a silly thing to say. How do you know what's "way too high"? Based
on what?

IF a CD has 12 tunes on it, and the royalty is 70 cents a tune, that's
what, $8.40 in royalties for a CD download? Any bets that on a CD
selling for $12.00 at a store, the artist is getting 75% of that? If the
typical hardcover novel is selling for $25 these days, how much of that
do you think the typical author receives? And I know it costs more to
physically produce a book than a CD, but even so, a typical author's
deal might work out to a buck or two a book, maybe a bit more for a
proven best-seller type author, and even more for a major leaguer. But
nothing approaching 70% of gross selling price.

I have absolutely no idea about any of these numbers, and how they filter
down to the artists (writer, performer, band members, etc). Neither do
you. So, I choose not to engage in any conjecture.

Apple states it forks over 70 cents of the 99 cents collected to the
"owner" of the tune.

Yes, but who really is the owner? The song writer? The publishing company
who represents the song writer? The artist who performs it? What cut does
the band get, if any? What about the agent?

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

I don't recall whether it's BMI or ASCAP, but one of them collects fees
from
bar owners who include karioke in their activities. Unbelievable.

Most Karaoke formats now get around some copyright issues in a unique
kind of way. When a song comes up, let's say, "I'm Going Straight to
Hell" by Drivin' and Cryin' the credits on the screen will say Played
in the style of "I'm Going Straight to Hell". This takes care of some
legalities as far as copyright, but I know that ASCAP still collects
from the owners. If you are ever down around Naples, NY, and hit the
Naples Hotel bar for a beer, and there is karaoke there, the guy that
owns the system is Pat, and his wife Sissy. He's the karaoke king of
the area.

I'm allergic to karioke. :-) I'd rather swallow push pins sideways.

Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:
"RCE" wrote in message
[...]

That's good to know...I'll be sure to avoid that place...as I avoid any
other place where karaoke is going on...

:}

Great restaurant & bar, though, in case you happen to take a wrong turn and
end up in Naples. Drop-dead gorgeous hills, too. And, 8 minutes from the
hotel, a pike & bass-laden river to die for.

Reggie Smithers

RCE wrote:
[...]

The truth of the matter is no price for a CD or Download is too high or
unreasonable. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. They will
quickly lower their price if enough people agree with you.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Reggie Smithers

RCE wrote:
[...]

The owner is normally the record label (though there are exceptions for
very popular performers, such as Ray Charles), and the artist, the band
and the song writer all have agreements as to their cut.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Doug Kanter

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..
RCE wrote:
[...]

Right. We can only guess. And, it would vary widely depending on the band's
"culture". I suspect the Grateful Dead's arrangement was problem different
from other bands. The bulk of their income came from concerts. In
interviews, they said that albums were made largely to satisfy contractual
obligations with the record company.

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news

Apple states it forks over 70 cents of the 99 cents collected to the
"owner" of the tune.

If I recall correctly, the "owner" is the royalty collector. The artist
and/or record company assigns the copyright rights in exchange for a small
royalty payment - 5 or 10 cents. The royalty collector (BMI, ASCAP and many
others now) collect the lion's share. The artists had to do this - they had
no means of enforcing copyright protection of their work. It was that or
nothing.

RCE

RCE

"RCE" wrote in message

I "ripped" an original composition I did a few years ago from my own CD and
posted it "over there".

It's in windows media file format.

It probably won't appeal to everybody - it's a haunting kind of tune, best
for quiet, reflective moods.

I'd post some other sequences that are bit more lively, but I might get sued
because I didn't write them.

For those that are interested, all the voices and sounds are from a Yamaha
keyboard, recorded using about 14 different tracks in Cakewalk 3.0.

RCE

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

I like it, I've heard some really good performers, when going to decent
events. That's the key.

Doug Kanter wrote:
"RCE" wrote in message
[...]

Naples is a cool place. The Naples Hotel is a very nice landmark!
http://www.thenapleshotel.com/

AllofMyMP3? Bert Robbins General 5 February 11th 06 12:14 AM
AllofMyMP3? JohnH General 0 February 9th 06 11:37 PM