Default OT My New Guitar!

Don White wrote:
wrote:
Not trying to start a flame fest, etc., but some here have shown
interest in guitars. Well, I just got off of Musician's Friend. Here's
what I ordered:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=515329

Played one at a local guitar shop, that was owned by one of the
repairmen there, and I've wanted it since!

I didn't bother getting a guitar with the electric pickup.
I asked the salesman when would I ever need it...and he said if I got up
on stage. Almost laughed out loud.....besides he said I could retro-fit
my guitar with a better quality pickup later on for about $100.00.

Well, yes and no. A good acoustic/electric is made to be just that,
while a good acoustic is made to be just THAT.
As for the electric, different sound entirely, it isn't all about
volume.

Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Not trying to start a flame fest, etc., but some here have shown
interest in guitars. Well, I just got off of Musician's Friend.
Here's
what I ordered:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=515329

Played one at a local guitar shop, that was owned by one of the
repairmen there, and I've wanted it since!

What corner will you be playing on? I'll have some quarters ready.

All of them, and I prefer 10 dollar bills. So, if you see anybody on
any corner playing guitar, be sure to drop 10 dollars in their guitar
case, it may just be me. Hope you don't go to big cities much, you'll
go broke.

That's why I chose electric bass instead of acoustic - to avoid the
temptation to start a new career. No electricity on those corners!

Loooooong extension chord?

See them all the time on the street corner. With a battery cart to supply
the juice.

richard

Very cool. Congats
What kind of music are you into?

jabadoodle

Hey, let us know how this works out for you. I'm just starting to learn
(again) too.
I've got a little 3/4 size. When I got it my though was I love playing on
the boat
and the little 3/4 will be easy to carry and it was cheap. I think it's
decent sound
for that size and also for the "acousticly-challanged" environment of an
open boat.

But I *hope* that I'll get to the point of wanting a better guitar. So keep
us posted.

Don White

jabadoodle wrote:
Hey, let us know how this works out for you. I'm just starting to learn
(again) too.
I've got a little 3/4 size. When I got it my though was I love playing on
the boat
and the little 3/4 will be easy to carry and it was cheap. I think it's
decent sound
for that size and also for the "acousticly-challanged" environment of an
open boat.

But I *hope* that I'll get to the point of wanting a better guitar. So keep
us posted.

The lady in our class has a smaller size $700.00 Yamaha.
The instructer drools over it each time he tunes our guitars.

George F

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Not trying to start a flame fest, etc., but some here have shown
interest in guitars. Well, I just got off of Musician's Friend. Here's
what I ordered:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=515329

Played one at a local guitar shop, that was owned by one of the
repairmen there, and I've wanted it since!

Congratulations! Nice looking guitar.

Thanks....I'm stoked, I hope this one sounds as sweet as the one I
played. I've already picked the guy's brain, picked up the same
strings, etc. I also paid for overnight shipping!!!!

Only a novice would ever order a guitar online. *ALL* guitars, even the
quality ones, vary in feel, quality, sound, and playability within the same
model line. You will never get the cream of the crop through an online sale.

JohnH

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 04:45:04 GMT, "George F"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Not trying to start a flame fest, etc., but some here have shown
interest in guitars. Well, I just got off of Musician's Friend. Here's
what I ordered:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=515329

Played one at a local guitar shop, that was owned by one of the
repairmen there, and I've wanted it since!

Congratulations! Nice looking guitar.

Thanks....I'm stoked, I hope this one sounds as sweet as the one I
played. I've already picked the guy's brain, picked up the same
strings, etc. I also paid for overnight shipping!!!!

Only a novice would ever order a guitar online. *ALL* guitars, even the
quality ones, vary in feel, quality, sound, and playability within the same
model line. You will never get the cream of the crop through an online sale.

I would expect that's true of Lamborghini's also.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

George F wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Not trying to start a flame fest, etc., but some here have shown
interest in guitars. Well, I just got off of Musician's Friend. Here's
what I ordered:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=515329

Played one at a local guitar shop, that was owned by one of the
repairmen there, and I've wanted it since!

Congratulations! Nice looking guitar.

Thanks....I'm stoked, I hope this one sounds as sweet as the one I
played. I've already picked the guy's brain, picked up the same
strings, etc. I also paid for overnight shipping!!!!

Only a novice would ever order a guitar online. *ALL* guitars, even the
quality ones, vary in feel, quality, sound, and playability within the same
model line. You will never get the cream of the crop through an online sale.

Blah, blah, blah.....sounds like a whiney elitist.....IF someone has
decent knowledge of guitar maintenence, repair and customization, the
end result will be just exactly as needed. Only a person incapable of
the above needs a guitar shop to hand pick their axe for them.

richard wrote:
Very cool. Congats
What kind of music are you into?

Blues, classic rock.
I'm getting "I'm Going Straight to Hell" by Drivin' and Cryin' down pat
now....I even mentioned the song in an earlier post!! It's cool...
I'm still learning, I've got a decent teacher. I take lessons for a few
months, then take a few months off to do nothing but work on everything
he's taught me, then go back.

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

George F wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most guitar shops don't do fine adjustments to instruments unless:

1) It's necessary before putting them on display
or
2) Someone buys a guitar and asks for changes to be made