Don White

Default Ping: Don White and RCE

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Years ago I ran a lot of the original coaxel cable and splitters myself
using Radio Shack connecters to the 'extra tvs.
I asked the installer to upgrade the connectors to what they are using.
I wouldn't count on the analog tv's getting better... just the ones
connected to the digital cable box.

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

No rental charge for the basic unit here. You just pay for the digital
service.
Different with my HDTV service. My choice was $9.95/mo for the plain
unit or $14.95/mo for the one that records on a hardrive.
Don White

JimH wrote:
"RCE" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Yes.

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

No.

RCE

Check that last question............can one purchase and install a Comcast
digital receiver on the other TV's and receive digital quality pictures on
the.......thus avoiding extra receiver rental charges?

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/so...ff/bueller.wav

That might be possible. I took my Motorola digital cable box into mom's
room and hooked it up for a short test. Her crappy Sears 27" TV improved
slightly and she got all the benefits of digital service.
Don White

"RCE" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

So it is all in the digital receiver they lease to you?

Yes.

Is it legal to buy these things and avoid the rental charge?

No.

RCE

Check that last question............can one purchase and install a Comcast
digital receiver on the other TV's and receive digital quality pictures
on the.......thus avoiding extra receiver rental charges?

To my knowledge, no. Legally you must rent additional boxes for each TV. I
think they are around 4 or 5 bucks a month. I know with Sat TV you can buy
your own receiver, but you still have to pay for the additional service.
Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

RCE

You're right about the $ 5.00 per month. We're keeping the motorola
digital box to install on mom's tv when we upgrade to HDTV on Wednesday.
We will keep paying the $5.00 per month digital fee plus the HD fees and
cable box rental for our new Sony. %^&^% cable is getting expensive.
JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are HD.
We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during the
installation?

TIA ;-)

Years ago I ran a lot of the original coaxel cable and splitters myself
using Radio Shack connecters to the 'extra tvs.
I asked the installer to upgrade the connectors to what they are using.
I wouldn't count on the analog tv's getting better... just the ones
connected to the digital cable box.

We had the service installed this afternoon on 2 TV's (family room and our
bedroom) and the picture quality is indeed much better.

Per your suggestion I also had the tech change all the splitters I had and
change the connectors on the coax. The result is improved picture quality
in all rooms.

We are on a basic plan with some 200 channels including 7 Encore movie
channels that play movies recently running in the theaters. Although my
wife was reluctant on getting this she became pretty happy once she saw the
movies she could watch with this basic package.

Thanks to you and Richard for the feedback and suggestions. ;-)

JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
[...]

200 channels? 200 TV channels? On Basic? That's a hell of a lot more than
we get on SuperRipoff, or whatever we have. Are you counting "music"
channels?

OK, you made me count the number of channels........it is actually 164, not
including the music channels.

Don White

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

[...]

Don't you love it when something works out as advertized?
I bet in a year you'll be chaffing at the bit for HDTV on your 'main' set.
BTW.. spend a little time getting friendly with the interactive info
schedules. We use it all the time to set reminders for favourite
upcoming programs.
JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

[...]

The tech showed us that feature and I am sure my wife will be using it. She
really loves this service.

Regarding the purchase of an HDTV set, I already had a plan:

Objective = Purchase a wide screen HDTV. The objective includes 5 steps.

Step 1 = Have digital service installed.
Status = Accomplished

Step 2 = Get wife excited about the new digital service.
Status = Accomplished

Step 3 = Explain to wife how realistic HDTV picture quality is vs current
15 year old analog CRT set.
Status = In progress

Step 4 = Get wife involved in selection of which HDTV we should purchase.
Status = Open.

Step 5 = Have wife go with me when purchasing our new wide screen HDTV.
Status = Open.

Difficulties to be overcome = Why replacing our family room TV is a higher
priority than replacing the furniture in the room.
Strategy = Get my friends and male family members involved.

Target for completion of Objective = March, 2007.

Yes, I have thought this out. ;-)

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
[...]

That's still more than we get with Comcast under our "deluxe" plan.

Just wait until he gets his first bill.

RCE

RCE

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

[...]

Just don't forget to exchange the digital box for a HD box when the time
comes.
My brother sat for a month thinking he was watching HD when he was not.

RCE

JimH

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
[...]

It will be a little over $13/month more for the first 6 months, then about
$19/month after that. Not too bad.