JimH

Default Ping: Don White and RCE

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

We am getting digital cable installed tomorrow by Comcast. Digital
receivers w/remotes will be installed on 2 sets, neither of which are
HD. We have a total of 8 TV's in the house, and I am hoping the picture
quality improves on the other 6 sets also.

Is there anything special I should make sure they take care of during
the installation?

TIA ;-)

Years ago I ran a lot of the original coaxel cable and splitters myself
using Radio Shack connecters to the 'extra tvs.
I asked the installer to upgrade the connectors to what they are using.
I wouldn't count on the analog tv's getting better... just the ones
connected to the digital cable box.

We had the service installed this afternoon on 2 TV's (family room and
our bedroom) and the picture quality is indeed much better.

Per your suggestion I also had the tech change all the splitters I had
and change the connectors on the coax. The result is improved picture
quality in all rooms.

We are on a basic plan with some 200 channels including 7 Encore movie
channels that play movies recently running in the theaters. Although my
wife was reluctant on getting this she became pretty happy once she saw
the movies she could watch with this basic package.

Thanks to you and Richard for the feedback and suggestions. ;-)

Don't you love it when something works out as advertized?
I bet in a year you'll be chaffing at the bit for HDTV on your 'main' set.
BTW.. spend a little time getting friendly with the interactive info
schedules. We use it all the time to set reminders for favourite upcoming
programs.

The tech showed us that feature and I am sure my wife will be using it. She
really loves this service.

Regarding the purchase of an HDTV set, I already had a plan:

Objective = Purchase a wide screen HDTV. The objective includes 5 steps.

Step 1 = Have digital service installed.
Status = Accomplished

Step 2 = Get wife excited about the new digital service.
Status = Accomplished

Step 3 = Explain to wife how realistic HDTV picture quality is vs current
15 year old analog CRT set.
Status = In progress

Step 4 = Get wife involved in selection of which HDTV we should purchase.
Status = Open.

Step 5 = Have wife go with me when purchasing our new wide screen HDTV.
Status = Open.

Difficulties to be overcome = Why replacing our family room TV is a higher
priority than replacing the furniture in the room.
Strategy = Get my friends and male family members involved.

Target for completion of Objective = March, 2007.

Yes, I have thought this out. ;-)