posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Gordon

Default LED Anchor Light

Anybody tried the Bebi elctronics anchor lights?
Gordon

"RCE" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
I bought a Home Depot (OK, Wal Mart) solar powered walkway light and
thought it was waaaay too dim.

The LED in this Orca light is unusual in that the dome of the LED seems
to have been machined to throw the light radially. The housing of the
whole light is very well made.

The ones I saw that pass the USCG requirements (visible at night for 2
miles) had only three LEDs, but they were mounted in a Fresnel lens cover.

RCE

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Larry

Wayne.B wrote in
:

That's creative. Was the brightness insufficient?

It was bright enough.....well, until the battery ran dead around midnight.
After that, it was DEAD....not good.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Wayne.B

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:05:03 -0500, Larry wrote:

It was bright enough.....well, until the battery ran dead around midnight.
After that, it was DEAD....not good.

It is an absolute requirement that they must stay lit until 1/2 hour
after the last pub closes. :-)

There should also be an owner sensor that will cause it to start
blinking if you get to within 400 yards of it in your dinghy.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Glenn A. Heslop

I had an idea...some feelback would be great.

I had a low-draw anchor light that we've been hanging from the boom when
anchored and simply stowing when underway. It's got a photosensor so is
automatic...you know the $40 one from Boatersworld. It's brightness is
acceptable but now that it quit working, I want to make a replacement.

I was thinking of a really damn bright light (i.e. so even the crazy weekend
powerboaters from Miami will see it)...a battery sized to match (12hoursX
draw/H) & stored in a cockpit lazarette & coupled with a small solar panel.
That way I can have a bright anchor-light while not drawing power from my
house batteries.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:05:03 -0500, Larry wrote:

It was bright enough.....well, until the battery ran dead around

midnight.
After that, it was DEAD....not good.

It is an absolute requirement that they must stay lit until 1/2 hour
after the last pub closes. :-)

There should also be an owner sensor that will cause it to start
blinking if you get to within 400 yards of it in your dinghy.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

You might try some adaptation of this:

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_hydro.html

Couple it with the boat rocking.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:05:03 -0500, Larry wrote:

It was bright enough.....well, until the battery ran dead around

midnight.
After that, it was DEAD....not good.

It is an absolute requirement that they must stay lit until 1/2 hour
after the last pub closes. :-)

There should also be an owner sensor that will cause it to start
blinking if you get to within 400 yards of it in your dinghy.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Larry

Wayne.B wrote in
:

There should also be an owner sensor that will cause it to start
blinking if you get to within 400 yards of it in your dinghy.

Maybe like the Cadillac...you press the key fob button and the light blinks
and the foghorn sounds so you can find the boat, drunk, in the dark...(c;

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Larry

"Glenn A. Heslop" wrote in

I was thinking of a really damn bright light (i.e. so even the crazy
weekend powerboaters from Miami will see it)...a battery sized to
match (12hoursX draw/H) & stored in a cockpit lazarette & coupled with
a small solar panel. That way I can have a bright anchor-light while
not drawing power from my house batteries.

Problem solved.....

http://www.sailgb.com/p/anchor_light_6inch/

Draws no power...runs 30 hours on a "charge"

Haul it up on a halyard....

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:34:05 -0500, Larry wrote:

Maybe like the Cadillac...you press the key fob button and the light blinks
and the foghorn sounds so you can find the boat, drunk, in the dark...(c;

None has ever had the need to do that I'm sure...

The only thing funnier to watch is a club launch with about 20 people
on it coming back from a party that suddenly realize that their anchor
light looks just like all the others. Oops.