P. Fritz

Default nutcase of a son-in-law

"Eddie" wrote in message
I got a son-in-law who is a little bit disillusioned. He thinks he
can go out and buy a 40' sailboat and sail it to the big island of
Hawaii. He's never been on a sailboat, much less sailed one.
He's a plumber, makes good money, and plans to spend around $200K for
a yacht to sail there. He's a nut case imho. But was wondering,
assuming he learns to sail, how many crew members does one need to do
this in such a large boat? I know this is a motor group, but I'm sure
someone could help.
In the meantime, I'm trying to talk him out of doing this dumb thing
unless he gets a lot of sailing experience, like starting out with a
16 footer. In any case, he ain't taking my daughter with him until he
proves to me he's an experienced sailor. I figure about 5 or 6 years
of practice. Maybe by then he'll get a little sense in his head and
flys there instead.
Thanks
Eddie

Give him this book to read
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...lance&n=283155

~^ beancounter ~^

jeeze...quite a book.....

-------------snip--------------------------------------

Why read such a painful book? One important life lesson that we must
learn from this account is not to leave port unprepared. In some ways,
I would urge all boaters to read this book just to have that lesson
hammered in. As a boater I came away with the deep conviction that I
don't ever want to come anywhere near going through anything like what
the crew of TRASHMAN went through.

As presented by the author, the tragedy was entirely the result of the
incompetence, alcoholism, and carelessness of the captain and other
crew members. I must confess, however, that when I reflected on the
author's tale I could not help wondering how objective it was. She is
so unremittingly critical--bitterly critical--of John and Mark that I
began to doubt the clarity of her vision. I would love to get the
account of the other survivor. There are several mysteries about the
tragic sinking of TRASHMAN that remain troubling and unresolved.

nutcase of a son-in-law RCE General 8 January 31st 06 06:13 PM
nutcase of a son-in-law Doug Kanter General 0 January 30th 06 04:37 PM
nutcase of a son-in-law Don White General 1 January 30th 06 06:24 AM
nutcase of a son-in-law Dan J.S. General 0 January 30th 06 03:11 AM
nutcase of a son-in-law Bryan General 0 January 30th 06 01:42 AM