RCE

Default nutcase of a son-in-law

"Eddie" wrote in message

I got a son-in-law who is a little bit disillusioned. He thinks he
can go out and buy a 40' sailboat and sail it to the big island of
Hawaii. He's never been on a sailboat, much less sailed one.
He's a plumber, makes good money, and plans to spend around $200K for
a yacht to sail there. He's a nut case imho. But was wondering,
assuming he learns to sail, how many crew members does one need to do
this in such a large boat? I know this is a motor group, but I'm sure
someone could help.

Nothing wrong with his dream, but agree not without some training and
experience.

If he is head strong committed, suggest that he find and retain the services
of a qualified, licensed boat captain and a crew member or two for this
trip. He will learn a lot and gain some experience under qualified
supervision.

RCE

Wayne.B

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:40:52 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Five sailors would be a reasonable and safe crew, with each person
standing a six hour watch and another person "up" to spell the
watchstander and help out with any sudden adjustments of sails. It could
be done with a smaller crew, but then the voyage becomes more of a
challenge and less of a pleasure

It could be done with 5, but 6 is a better number on a 40 footer in my
experience. Typically we would stand three 4 hour watches at night
and two 6 hour watches during the day. Three people on watch gives
you enough to rotate jobs, cook, cleanup, get weather reports,
navigate, etc.

With the boat set up properly, experienced people and a good auto
pilot, you could make a reasonable argument for a crew of two but that
is really stretching things very thin.

Reggie Smithers

Harry Krause wrote:
RCE wrote:
"Eddie" wrote in message

I got a son-in-law who is a little bit disillusioned. He thinks he
can go out and buy a 40' sailboat and sail it to the big island of
Hawaii. He's never been on a sailboat, much less sailed one.

Is his nickname "Skipper"?

He's a plumber, makes good money, and plans to spend around $200K for
a yacht to sail there. He's a nut case imho. But was wondering,
assuming he learns to sail, how many crew members does one need to do
this in such a large boat? I know this is a motor group, but I'm sure
someone could help.

Five sailors would be a reasonable and safe crew, with each person
standing a six hour watch and another person "up" to spell the
watchstander and help out with any sudden adjustments of sails. It could
be done with a smaller crew, but then the voyage becomes more of a
challenge and less of a pleasure

Embarking on such a trip, however, requires several crew members with a
high level of sailing and navigational skills, and a stout, ocean-going
cruising sailboat up to the task. An awful lot can go wrong very quickly
out on the ocean, with deadly consequences.

The most common crew for a 40' boat would be 3 (4 if it is two couples).
Probably, the most common watch is 4 hrs, but I prefer a 3 hr. watch.
The last hour can go very slow at night and a 3 hr watch rotates the
watches so every day your watches are at a different time of day. With a
autopilot or windvane, it allows the person on watch to make any minor
adjustments in the sails. If you update your weather faxes, you get
very few unexpected wind changes.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

DSK

Harry Krause wrote:
Five sailors would be a reasonable and safe crew, with each person
standing a six hour watch and another person "up" to spell the
watchstander and help out with any sudden adjustments of sails. It could
be done with a smaller crew, but then the voyage becomes more of a
challenge and less of a pleasure

I think the exact opposite myself.

Wayne.B wrote:
It could be done with 5, but 6 is a better number on a 40 footer in my
experience.

I'd rather have 4 or even 3, provided that they're good
sailors. A 40 footer is about as roomy as a cheap hotel
room, and people invariably bring too much "stuff." The
cabin becomes a crowded hovel and sleep is almost
impossible. Unless all are seasoned sailors, at least half
will be useless for watchstanding either due to seasickness
or lack of comprehension or both.

Racing is different, it's assumed that all the sailors have
at least the basic skills & also (very important) the
motivation to keep the boat sailing properly.

... Typically we would stand three 4 hour watches at night
and two 6 hour watches during the day. Three people on watch gives
you enough to rotate jobs, cook, cleanup, get weather reports,
navigate, etc.

Only done this once, but the best watch system I know of
(given a good autopilot) is 3 hour watches, each person on
watch alone but the 1st and last hours overlap the next
persons watch. Gives enough sleep, enough company, some time
for 'housekeeping.' If you have 4 or more people, the
captain doesn't have to stand a watch (but is usually up at
least 20 hours a day at sea anyway).

I *really* dislike having a boat that is so crowded you have
to shove bodies out of the way to get anywhere or do
anything. Most people feel differently, maybe there's a herd
instinct at work?

With the boat set up properly, experienced people and a good auto
pilot, you could make a reasonable argument for a crew of two but that
is really stretching things very thin.

Agreed- but that's the way most cruising couples do it...
and also, passagemaking is a relatively rare thing. Even the
people who cruise around the world spend far more time
sailing in sheltered waters than open sea.

As for the original poster, get a clue. Interfering in-laws
are the subject of millions of jokes, for a good reason.
It's like back-seat driving. The problem here is not that
sailing to Hawaii is dangerous, nor that a 40 foot boat is
too small... it's been done in 15 foot sailboats... but that
your son-in-law doesn't know how to sail. His idea of buying
a boat and just going is stupid, like not knowing a thing
about flying and deciding you want to buy a plane and pilot
it across the country. He needs to gain some experience
first. Aside from that, he won't have spent $200K on a boat
and decide after a few days that he doesn't like it after all.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Reggie Smithers

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Doug,
Besides the tight quarters you have with more than 4 in a 40' boat, if
you have 6 people you end up hot bunking it. I just don't want to sleep
in someone else's drool and sweat. ; )

I find the 3 hour watch very easy.

Reggie Smithers wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

That's almost as bad as a warm toilet seat!!!!

Calif Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...

Reggie Smithers wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Warm toilets are nice in winter. I worked for a company years ago. The
factory used the air cond cooling water for the toilets. Very efficient.
Nice warm toilets in the winter. And Ohio winters could be cold.