BoatBanter.com

-   -   Affording Fuel (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/65885-affording-fuel.html)

jps January 30th 06 05:18 PM

Affording Fuel

I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

I guess the dinghy will have to do for now.

jps

DSK January 30th 06 05:48 PM

Affording Fuel

jps wrote:
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Perhaps you should consider a more fuel-efficient boat?

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

You mean yours, or everybody elses (average)?

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

Yes, it's an amazing coincidence, isn't it? Another funny
thing is that so far, this boon has not been distributed
very effectively to holders of common stock.

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

You really really miss the old days of political
mud-throwing in this NG, don't you?

DSK

jps January 30th 06 06:04 PM

Affording Fuel

In article ,
says...
jps wrote:
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Perhaps you should consider a more fuel-efficient boat?

I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

You mean yours, or everybody elses (average)?

Everyone's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/..._ec_fi/economy

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

Yes, it's an amazing coincidence, isn't it? Another funny
thing is that so far, this boon has not been distributed
very effectively to holders of common stock.

They don't matter. It's the boys in the front office who are meant to
benefit from this.

Meanwhile, Exxon wants the $5B settlement reduced for the Alaska spill.
Pigs.

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

You really really miss the old days of political
mud-throwing in this NG, don't you?

Old days? It was just yesterday for me. AFAIC the group has been
dumbed down, a perfect reflection of our society.

I'm guessing the savings rate on brain cells and good ideas is, like
savings, at a historical low.

Fear factor, Baywatch and cigarettes are our major exports now.

DSK

jps

DSK January 30th 06 06:42 PM

Affording Fuel

jps wrote:
I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

That's one area that diesel inboards shine, fuel efficiency
per ton/mph. Planing is still a very inefficient to carry
loads though.

Note- there are some boats with fuel consumptions that are
flat at high speeds, or even drop a little ie- they get
better MPG near WOT than at "cruise" speeds. But they get
better mileage yet at slow displacement speeds. The best way
to go fast & not burn a lot of fuel is with a catamaran...
but even then, speed costs.

If you're concerned about fuel efficiency, get a slow boat.

Everyone's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/..._ec_fi/economy

Yep, that has been a concern of economists for a long
time... Americans are not saving, in fact we are jacking up
debt both personal & public at record rates. How long can
this go on? I don't know... but IMHO any individual is still
better off saving & investing, what we used to call managing
one's money intelligently.

Meanwhile, Exxon wants the $5B settlement reduced for the Alaska spill.
Pigs.

Wouldn't you?

DSK

DSK January 30th 06 06:45 PM

Affording Fuel

jps wrote:
I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

I wouldn't want to discourage anybody from considering sail,
but for the most part it's not really any cheaper unless you
are going a long way.

That's one area that diesel inboards shine, fuel efficiency per ton/mph.
Planing is still a very inefficient to carry loads though.

Note- there are some boats with fuel consumptions that are flat at high
speeds, or even drop a little ie- they get better MPG near WOT than at
"cruise" speeds. But they get better mileage yet at slow displacement
speeds.

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

DSK

NOYB January 30th 06 07:11 PM

Affording Fuel

"jps" wrote in message
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

I also made more money this past year than at any time in history.

Is it some sort of coincidence that I'm a friend (at least via donor money)
of the current administration?

George F January 30th 06 07:12 PM

Affording Fuel

"jps" wrote in message
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

10bil profit on revenue of 100bil seems about right to me.

Wayne.B January 30th 06 07:18 PM

Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

NOYB January 30th 06 07:22 PM

Affording Fuel

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose as
the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

[email protected] January 30th 06 07:24 PM

Affording Fuel

I hear you man, I fear that this summer I"m going to be doing a bit
less waverunning and more kayaking than in the past.

richforman

JohnH January 30th 06 07:37 PM

Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:04:13 -0800, jps wrote:

In article ,
says...
jps wrote:
[...]

jps, how is the lack of antagonistic, vile, name-calling a 'dumbing down'
of the group? Is an ability to hurl insults a sign of intellectual prowess?

Why not go over to a.politics and post all the political rhetoric your
heart desires?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

jps January 30th 06 07:57 PM

Affording Fuel

In article ,
says...

Meanwhile, Exxon wants the $5B settlement reduced for the Alaska spill.
Pigs.

Wouldn't you?

No.

I'm a citizen and, although justice in this land is by no means perfect,
a court case has been decided (using the best attorneys money can buy,
no doubt).

It's obscene to consider that a company at the peak of it's historical
earnings is trying to shirk it's civic responsibility. But that's a sign
of the times, eh? Foist civic responsibility back on the taxpayer, no
matter who's guilty of the injustice.

We foot the bill for cleanup in Alaska when their captain fell asleep.
We foot the bill when Walmart doesn't offer proper medical insurance
coverage for their employees.

This shifting of responsibility makes me sick. It's time for
accountability and for all to pay their fair share, including
politically influential corporations.

jps

jps January 30th 06 08:03 PM

Affording Fuel

In article , jherring1
@yahoo.com says...

jps, how is the lack of antagonistic, vile, name-calling a 'dumbing down'
of the group? Is an ability to hurl insults a sign of intellectual prowess?

Nice spin.

The existence of antagonistic, vile, name-calling is consistent with the
behavior of this country's leadership.

Sabre-rattling, ill-informed, non-intellectual, Rambo-style rhetoric
(not to mention outright lying) is all the rage, or haven't you been
listening to your President and his minions?

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

jps

JohnH January 30th 06 08:05 PM

Affording Fuel

jps wrote:
[...]

JPS called no 0one who posts here a name. In fact, your post was
offensive, not his. Why are you working so hard at being a usenet
traffic cop?

Harry, I didn't accuse jps of name-calling or anything else. I questioned
his use of the phrase 'dumbed down' with regard to the people/posts in the
group. Is that question what you refer to as 'netcopping'?

Do you feel 'dumbed down'?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

jps January 30th 06 08:06 PM

Affording Fuel

In article et,
says...

"jps" wrote in message
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

I also made more money this past year than at any time in history.

Is it some sort of coincidence that I'm a friend (at least via donor money)
of the current administration?

No, just an indication that you're among the growing division of have
and have nots.

Bully for you.

I do not find solace in the fact that I'm making more money while many
of my nation's brethren are finding it more difficult to earn a family
wage job or find decent health care coverage.

jps

jps January 30th 06 08:09 PM

Affording Fuel

In article _ytDf.23848$5G.17707@trnddc08,
says...

"jps" wrote in message
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

10bil profit on revenue of 100bil seems about right to me.

Depends on industry.

It's obscene profit on the backs of Americans. A form of taxation that
skips the government collection process, instead going directly into the
pockets of corporations to spend as they see fit.

I'd rather see investment in alternative energy research than finding
another way to wring out profits in a short-term, quarter to quarter
profit strategy.

jps

JohnH January 30th 06 08:11 PM

Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

In article , jherring1
says...

jps, how is the lack of antagonistic, vile, name-calling a 'dumbing down'
of the group? Is an ability to hurl insults a sign of intellectual prowess?

Nice spin.

The existence of antagonistic, vile, name-calling is consistent with the
behavior of this country's leadership.

Sabre-rattling, ill-informed, non-intellectual, Rambo-style rhetoric
(not to mention outright lying) is all the rage, or haven't you been
listening to your President and his minions?

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

jps

answered in a.politics.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Don White January 30th 06 08:25 PM

Affording Fuel

NOYB wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose as
the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

[email protected] January 30th 06 08:34 PM

Affording Fuel

jps wrote:

Old days? It was just yesterday for me. AFAIC the group has been
dumbed down, a perfect reflection of our society.

I guess that if the rec.boats NG becomes a place where people go to
discuss boats and boating, rather than engage in political arguments,
that makes it somehow "dumb"?

I would imagine that if you tried to hold boating discussions on either
the "Liberals are trying to destroy our Christian country" group or
"Conservatives are robbing the poor to enhance the rich" group, that
would be dazzlingly brilliant?

Phuk politics. Trying to differentiate between one gang of thieves (Rs)
and another (Ds) is wearisome. Boating is supposed to be about
recreation, and that would include civil social interaction among
people who may not agree on everything politically.

You and I may agree on a lot of political principles, but within the
last several months I have reached an opinion that no political
principles are well served when they are used as a wedge to screw up
and disrupt groups brought together for other purposes. I could be
wrong. Certainly if the majority of the newsgorup wants to continue the
political bitchiness and flame throwing it is more than welcome to- the
only difference is that I won't be participating in those activities. I
suffer no delusion that it's up to me to determine the direction of the
NG, but as you have expressed your opinion that the group without
political strife is "dumbed down," I have expressed my counter
perspective as well.

Have a pleasant day.

NOYB January 30th 06 08:54 PM

Affording Fuel

"Don White" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose
as the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

Damn. Should have added the Canadian exclusion clause. ;-)

JohnH January 30th 06 08:58 PM

Affording Fuel

On 30 Jan 2006 12:34:09 -0800, wrote:

jps wrote:

[...]

Your peanuts are on their way, over!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH January 30th 06 09:00 PM

Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:54:07 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose
as the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

Damn. Should have added the Canadian exclusion clause. ;-)

Now if you made it a fishing trip, I might be tempted to hit some rough
water!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JimH January 30th 06 09:32 PM

Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

i know my portfolio has done quite well in the oil sector.

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

Doug Kanter January 30th 06 09:48 PM

Affording Fuel

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

i know my portfolio has done quite well in the oil sector.

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

What's really interesting is that the price of gasoline has also skyrocketed
in Iraq. It's putting a hurtin' on the same kinds of businesses that it
affects here. I think the problem is the distance it has to be shipped.
Almost a few hours. Sort of.

JimH January 30th 06 09:57 PM

Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:32:18 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

. ..
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

i know my portfolio has done quite well in the oil sector.

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

so? charging what the market will take is a time honored capitalist
tradition. and until they come up with another source of energy,
thats what 'cha got.

Not acceptable when the commodity is the blood that keeps our country alive.

NOYB January 30th 06 10:00 PM

Affording Fuel

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

i know my portfolio has done quite well in the oil sector.

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

What's really interesting is that the price of gasoline has also
skyrocketed in Iraq.

What's it up to now? Two dimes per gallon?

NOYB January 30th 06 10:03 PM

Affording Fuel

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
More people are living in cardboard boxes in this country than ever and
these fat cats are making more and paying less taxes than ever. And we are
STILL cutting taxes while the deficit skyrockets. How can these people
call themselves conservative?

The deficit fell from '04 to '05...and its expected to continue to fall
through at least '09.

Doug Kanter January 30th 06 10:25 PM

Affording Fuel

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable
years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

i know my portfolio has done quite well in the oil sector.

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

What's really interesting is that the price of gasoline has also
skyrocketed in Iraq.

What's it up to now? Two dimes per gallon?

If you think about it (and I know that can be a challenge), you'll realize
that the absolute price doesn't matter, considering the circumstances.

Don White January 30th 06 10:26 PM

Affording Fuel

NOYB wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

NOYB wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose
as the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

Damn. Should have added the Canadian exclusion clause. ;-)

Too late!
I want to try that new white 'composite' filling material you use. I'm
tired of the silver/mercury amalgam stuff.

~^ beancounter ~^ January 30th 06 10:31 PM

Affording Fuel

its called capital markets...

oil is "seeking" its price....once it hits a certain point...
demand wil drop off...so far, america (and other countries)
are demanding oil at any priice...$100 per brl may slow it down...
$200 i would think for sure...that would be arouns $10 per us gallon
reatil, I would guess.....not a pretty sight...

jps January 30th 06 10:51 PM

Affording Fuel

In article . net,
says...

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
More people are living in cardboard boxes in this country than ever and
these fat cats are making more and paying less taxes than ever. And we are
STILL cutting taxes while the deficit skyrockets. How can these people
call themselves conservative?

The deficit fell from '04 to '05...and its expected to continue to fall
through at least '09.

In the past 30 years we've gone from:

Biggest importer of raw materials and exporter of finished goods

Biggest exporter of raw materials and largest importer of finished
goods.

China and Japan own a large percentage of our currency, corporations are
allowed to operate offshore to avoid taxation and more of our currency
is flooding into the mid-east than ever before.

I just had a meeting with some very nice folks from the mid-east who
don't mind us being in Iraq at all. Their friends are making money hand
over fist supplying goods and services to our troops.

Not only are we sending them tankerloads of oil money, we're paying them
seven different ways for supplying our country with goods and services.

Something wrong with this picture? Why are we so damned near-sighted???

jps

jps January 30th 06 10:57 PM

Affording Fuel

In article .com,
says...

You and I may agree on a lot of political principles, but within the
last several months I have reached an opinion that no political
principles are well served when they are used as a wedge to screw up
and disrupt groups brought together for other purposes. I could be
wrong.

You're not wrong, I'm just ****ed about what's happening to our country
and damn it, my boating habits have been radically altered as a result.

The Chevron, Exxon, Halliburton news just sent me over the edge...

It's taxation of another variety but taxation none the less.

jps

JimH January 30th 06 11:09 PM

Affording Fuel

:

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

Knight-Ridder has a higher profit margin than Exxon-Mobil. Is "Big Media"
fleecing us too? And if so, where are your protestations against them?

Big Media is not a commodity that drives our production and economy. I
could give a rats ass what their profits are. The entire US can live
without newspapers as they can get their news from the net, TV or radio.
The US cannot live without oil and gasoline.

JimH January 30th 06 11:10 PM

Affording Fuel

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Fred Dehl wrote:
jps wrote in
:

I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

Exxon's profit margin (net income divided by revenue) is 8.4%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=XOM&annual

Knight-Ridder's profit margin is 10.8%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=KRI&annual

Where is your rant against The Obscene Profits Of Big Media?

More than most corporations, energy producers, especially oil companies,
have interesting ways to cook the books. Their profits are much, much
higher.

And folks can choose to stop buying newspapers. Not true of gasoline.

RCE January 30th 06 11:12 PM

Affording Fuel

"jps" wrote in message

I'd rather see investment in alternative energy research than finding
another way to wring out profits in a short-term, quarter to quarter
profit strategy.

jps

Unfortunately, that's their job. The driver is the shareholders. The
shareholders want a return - the bigger the better.

The shareholders are people like you and me and millions of other easy money
speculators.

RCE

JimH January 30th 06 11:22 PM

Affording Fuel

"Fred Dehl" wrote in message
jps wrote in
:

I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

Exxon's profit margin (net income divided by revenue) is 8.4%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=XOM&annual

Knight-Ridder's profit margin is 10.8%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=KRI&annual

Where is your rant against The Obscene Profits Of Big Media?

A 10.8% profit is obscene?

How about 27% for Exxon Mobil (this following a 75% increase in 2005 3rd
quarter) and 51% for ConocoPhillips?

Got gas?

JimH January 30th 06 11:29 PM

Affording Fuel

"Fred Dehl" wrote in message
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in
:

"Fred Dehl" wrote in message
jps wrote in
:

I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made
more money this past year than at any time in history and our rate
of savings hasn't been this low since 1933.

Exxon's profit margin (net income divided by revenue) is 8.4%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=XOM&annual

Knight-Ridder's profit margin is 10.8%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=KRI&annual

Where is your rant against The Obscene Profits Of Big Media?

A 10.8% profit is obscene?

How about 27% for Exxon Mobil (this following a 75% increase in 2005
3rd quarter) and 51% for ConocoPhillips?

Illiterate asshole,

See ya..............PLONK

NOYB January 31st 06 12:02 AM

Affording Fuel

"Don White" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

NOYB wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
m...

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose
as the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

Damn. Should have added the Canadian exclusion clause. ;-)

Too late!
I want to try that new white 'composite' filling material you use. I'm
tired of the silver/mercury amalgam stuff.

New? It's been around for two decades. But it is tons better today than
that handmixed stuff from back then.

NOYB January 31st 06 12:05 AM

Affording Fuel

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable
years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

i know my portfolio has done quite well in the oil sector.

You cannot deny them a profit, but it is obvious the oil company's are
fleecing us.

What's really interesting is that the price of gasoline has also
skyrocketed in Iraq.

What's it up to now? Two dimes per gallon?

If you think about it (and I know that can be a challenge), you'll realize
that the absolute price doesn't matter, considering the circumstances.

I don't know the exact percentage, but the majority of Iraqi provinces are
peaceful places that are eager to join the modern civilized world. They're
unaffected by the daily violence that occurs mainly in the Sunni triangle.
Those folks are paying 40 cents per gallon for the same gasoline that costs
us $3/gallon. So what do they have to whine about?