NOYB

Default Floriduh - A Passing Fad

"Skipper" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

OK. Later today, I'm going fishing at the 5 mile reefs to
target...sheepshead.

Sheepshead? Jeeze, that's like pullin up discarded bicycle tires.
Triggerfish put up a real fight and are worth eatin. Down Mexico way the
boys filet em for ya soon as the boat hits the dock. Triggers are
probably the fightenest fish pound for pound you can sling aboard.

Pound-for-pound, the lowly pinfish outfights all others...followed closely
by anything in the tuna family, and most fish in the jack family.

I've caught plenty of triggerfish. They are excellent eating, but a bear to
clean. But I never pulled one up and said to myself "damn, that was one
tough fish". I'd put their fighting ability on par with a small black drum
or a sheepshead.

Tomorrow, I'm hooking up the smaller boat to tow an hour and 50 minutes
across Alligator Alley and fish for Sailfish.

Would seem you have a truly trailerable boat then. Wouldn't want to lug
a Parker 25 that far.

Why not? I sold the 25' Whaler to my dad, and he bought a trailer for it.
My Sequoia tows it just fine.

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
NOYB wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:06:08 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Tomorrow, I'm hooking up the smaller boat to
tow an hour and 50 minutes across Alligator Alley and fish 2.5 miles
offshore for Sailfish, kingfish, and wahoo.
Where do you launch on the east coast? Any trailer parking issues?
Haulover. I've only been there once, and there was plenty of
parking...but it wasn't during season.

We're leaving the house at 4:30am, so we clear the pass by sunrise. We
might put the trip on hold 'til Saturday due to predicted 15-20knot
winds out of the East on Friday and early Saturday.

We stay on the other side of the bridge from Haulover.

Then as you know, Haulover can be a messy inlet on a new moon outgoing
tide with a strong onshore wind...which is exactly what is predicted for
tomorrow. Winds are out of the east at 15-20 knots, and seas are 7 to 9
feet on top of a 3 foot swell. Perfect sailfish conditions...but not
when you're going out in an 18' Boston Whaler...so our plans have
changed.

Instead, we're running in the Grady to the one of the DoD towers
southwest of Marco on this coast. Seas are predicted to be 2-4 late
Saturday...decreasing to 2' or less by Sunday.

Actually, I like walking across the bridge to the north side of Haulover
early in the morning to watch the boats leaving. There used to be a bait
and snack barge anchored about a half mile up the ICW from the inlet, but
I haven't seen it in a couple of years.

Anyone who is in that area ought to check out some of the "head boats" for
a half day of fishing on the cheap. It's hard not to catch fish with these
captains, and since they only go about 1-2 miles out and three to four
miles down the beach, most of the time is spent fishing.

Haulover's a great kite-flying park, too. And there are hundreds of
restuarants and good shopping nearby, too.

Lots of nekkid folks, too.

JimH

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Skipper" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

OK. Later today, I'm going fishing at the 5 mile reefs to
target...sheepshead.

Sheepshead? Jeeze, that's like pullin up discarded bicycle tires.
Triggerfish put up a real fight and are worth eatin. Down Mexico way the
boys filet em for ya soon as the boat hits the dock. Triggers are
probably the fightenest fish pound for pound you can sling aboard.

Pound-for-pound, the lowly pinfish outfights all others...followed closely
by anything in the tuna family, and most fish in the jack family.

I've caught plenty of triggerfish. They are excellent eating, but a bear
to clean. But I never pulled one up and said to myself "damn, that was
one tough fish". I'd put their fighting ability on par with a small black
drum or a sheepshead.

Are these them?

http://myfwc.com/marine/fish/graytrig.jpg

http://myfwc.com/marine/fish/sheepshead.jpg

http://myfwc.com/marine/fish/pinfish.jpg

NOYB

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Skipper" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

[...]

Yep. The pinfish is like a small bluegill. But pound-for-pound, it's a
heckuva fighter.

JimH

"NOYB" wrote in message
news

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Skipper" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

[...]

The last time I was in Miami Beach for a conference 4 of us guys chartered a
boat and did some fishing. I could not believe how strong (pound for pound)
the sal****er fish are compared to what we catch in Lake Erie.. We ended up
with a nice catch and had them filleted and cooked at a restaurant across
the street from the charter captains marina.

We had a great dinner.

Skipper

NOYB wrote:

Sheepshead? Jeeze, that's like pullin up discarded bicycle tires.
Triggerfish put up a real fight and are worth eatin. Down Mexico way the
boys filet em for ya soon as the boat hits the dock. Triggers are
probably the fightenest fish pound for pound you can sling aboard.

Pound-for-pound, the lowly pinfish outfights all others...
I've caught plenty of triggerfish. They are excellent eating, but a bear
to clean. But I never pulled one up and said to myself "damn, that was
one tough fish". I'd put their fighting ability on par with a small
black drum or a sheepshead.

Yep. The pinfish is like a small bluegill. But pound-for-pound, it's a
heckuva fighter.

Good gawd these Floriduhites have a lot to learn. Must be sompin in the
water.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/fstrig/fstrig.htm

--
Skipper
NOYB

"Skipper" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

[...]

A Mexican fishing website? Mexicans are small people. To them, that
triggerfish probably feels like a humpback whale.

I've caught triggerfish. To call them the "toughest fighting fish
pound-for-pound" is ridiculous.

Skipper

NOYB wrote:

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/fstrig/fstrig.htm

A Mexican fishing website? Mexicans are small people. To them, that
triggerfish probably feels like a humpback whale.

I've caught triggerfish. To call them the "toughest fighting fish
pound-for-pound" is ridiculous.

Musta been one o' them Floriduh or eastern triggers. Tie into a West
Coast Trigger and you'll quickly realize you're in for a fight. You
know, they do have special camps for eastern dudes when they come out
west.

--
Skipper