DSK

Default Propulsion: Outboard, inboard, I-O?

Here's a boating topic with room for general & specific
observations, theory, opinion, fact, sea stories. Let's see it.

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Fair Skies
Doug King

DSK

Default Propulsion: Outboard, inboard, I-O? No SAILS!

DSK wrote:
Here's a boating topic with room for general & specific observations,
theory, opinion, fact, sea stories. Let's see it.

I grew up sailing for sport, and find that with a sailboat,
one is already where one is going.

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Quiet, doesn't pollute, a challenge to the senses & the
intellect & the muscles all in one.

Racing sailboats may be as silly & pointless as trying to
throw or hit or kick a particular ball in a particular
direction, but IMHO it's the most fun people can have with
their clothes on.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Skipper

DSK wrote:

Here's a boating topic with room for general & specific
observations, theory, opinion, fact, sea stories. Let's see it.

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Are you not missing a most popular form of boat propulsion from your
list?

--
Skipper
JohnH

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:15:13 -0500, DSK wrote:

Here's a boating topic with room for general & specific
observations, theory, opinion, fact, sea stories. Let's see it.

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Fair Skies
Doug King

For sure, if I ever buy another boat, I'll get an outboard. My 5.7L
Mercruiser 'seems' to have more problems than I hear of from those with
outboards, unless it's like a 1965 15hp Johnson.

The outboard does not take up so much deck space as the engine cover on my
I/O. I like the design of the Grady Seafarer 228 with the "Grady Drive
Transom". It has as much fishing room as I need and lots of amenities to
keep the wife happy.

I'd like an engine where changing the oil was a big job and winterizing
could be accomplished much more easily.

But, I kind of like the idea that in a few years, when I need a new engine,
I can get what I need for $5000, instead of $15000.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:06:43 -0500, JohnH wrote:

[...]

Whoops, add 'not' just before 'a big job'!
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Dan Krueger

DSK wrote:

Here's a boating topic with room for general & specific observations,
theory, opinion, fact, sea stories. Let's see it.

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Fair Skies
Doug King

Two of these is all you need...

http://www.godevil.com/

Wouldn't you think they would place a hyphen in their URL? Read it both
ways. Neither can be good for sales.

Dan
Jack Redington

DSK wrote:

Here's a boating topic with room for general & specific observations,
theory, opinion, fact, sea stories. Let's see it.

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Fair Skies
Doug King

I like io's because they off a rear mounted engine and clean stern. For
they type of boating I do on freshwater lakes in runabouts and my cuddy
they good choice. Also they don't have a lot of noise unless you have
load exhaust. They also handel pretty well. So far with running merc's
since my dads frist runabout - A 70 Beachcraft trihull, Our family and
my own personal boats have had excellent service with these io's. The
auto developed engines are very reliable.

But I can see lots of good reason to use outboats depending on the boat
and wants of the boater. Easier to winterize, better power to weight
ratio. But shorter production runs on specialized power heads can equal
higher cost overall. I have 71 7.5 merc that needed coils and a stator a
few years ago and they were pretty expensive. But I decided after 30
years of good service it was worth it to me to get it rebuilt

I only had driven one true inboat boat. My brothers purchased a Toyota
ski boat that i guy was selling pretty cheap. The thing leaps on plane
and is great for it's intended usage. But I found did not answer the
helm at all when backing down and just cut to port. It could have been
in part to my lack of experiance. But I never did get it to back up
where I wanted it to go. :-)

So to me I guess the bottom line is it just depends on ones own application.

Capt Jack R..

Wayne.B

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:15:13 -0500, DSK wrote:

Why would you choose one type of propulsion over another?

Somewhere around 200 hp the power per $$$ ratio begins to favor
inboards or I/O. I/Os typically have more speed than comparable
inboards but maintenance costs tend to be higher, and I/Os really need
to be stored out of the water for decent longevity. I/Os and
outboards are both favored in shallow water areas because they
typically need less depth, and prop replacement is easier and cheaper.
Inboards and I/Os have traditionally offered better fuel economy but
that may be changing with better OB technology.