Doug Kanter

Default Wild salmon vs farmed

"Skipper" wrote in message

Mad cow disease is caused by prions.

Madcow disease was cured in this NG about 4 years ago.

--
Skipper

Quiet, meat sock.

bb

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:24:15 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Because of the feed for the farm raised fish. They are eating beef and pork
animal by products. So the fish do not have the healthy Omega 3 oil levels.
Plus disease, and all the concentrated poop they swim in.

The Omega 3 thing is the big issue. And, they have feed the fish food
coloring so they look like salmon.

A big thing for me is they just don't taste as good. Farmed raised
salmon is very bland compared to wild.

bb

Gordon wrote:
Why is it a good thing to eat wild commercially caught salmon and a bad
thing to eat farmed salmon?
Here in Washington State, we spend millions to enhance streams, reverse
erosion, stop cows from peeing in creeks, etc to save dwindling stocks of
wild salmon and at the same time, conservationists tell us to eat wild fish
only! What the ^%$&?
And while I'm at it, why do people go nuts when there is a minor sewage
spill yet the city of Victoria Canada can dump 34 million gallons of
untreated sewage per DAY into the Straits of Juan de Fuca with no adverse
effects?
Gordon

Fish farming in estuaries like Puget Sound is environmentally
destructive.

In nature, a school of salmon travels through miles of ocean every day
and is not restricted to swimming in the same water it fouls with its
waste. This is rather obviously not true with fish raised in very
crowded conditions in a pen. In nature, the salmon are able to take
food from the surrounding waters (schools of bait fish, etc), and again
this is not true in a pen situation. The seafloor becomes so
contaminated under a salmon pen that the normal sea life is either
altered in consist or dies out entirely for large areas surrounding the
pen. Commercial "fish food" must be fed to the farmed fish, and as the
uneaten chunks of this stuff settle into the water and rots it promotes
the growth of algae, etc.

Holmes Harbor, on Whidbey Island, is an excellent example. My parent
lived there for a while, and when they moved in the beaches in the
harbor were clean and clamming was pretty good in certain sections.
After a couple of fish farms set up shop, the beaches eventually became
covered with green slime and algae and clamming went straight to heck.

Fish farms are forced to use a lot of medication to prevent the spread
of disease among the unnaturally dense and confined schools of fish,
and this medication finds its way into the meat much the same way that
growth hormones show up in beef and milk, etc.

Finally, most of the fish farms in the Pacific NW raise Atlantic
salmon, which are not native to the NW. When these fish escape, (and
some always manage to escape), they
compete with native stocks for available food. If any of the escaped
farm fish eventually went upstream to spawn...(maybe not all that
likely because salmon typically return to the stream where they were
hatched)...they would compete for opportunities to mate with the
dominant native species but would be genetically unable to produce
offspring.

Seen on a bumper sticker: Help Stamp out Dangerous Drugs, Refuse to Eat
Farmed Fish.

Calif Bill

"Gordon" wrote in message
The disease in deer and elk is called chronic wasting disease or cwd.
This
sounds better than the infamous "mad cow disease", however they are
closely
related. I hunted Colorado this fall and they go into great detail on how
safely handle the meat. To date, there are no known cases of humans
contacting the disease.
As for diseased fish, thats all nonsense as far as I can tell. However, if
someone read it on the internet, it must be true!
Gordon

Sick fish are a major concern. The sick get into the wild and spread alien
to the region disease. The farm raised salmon are Atlantic salmon, and
being raised on the west coast bring other disease to the pacific salmon.
The massive decline in Southern California abalone was from Japanese abalone
that were planted by an abalone farm, spreading "withering food" disease.
And those sardines that were fed to cows are changed to different formula by
the cow.

Calif Bill

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in message
The disease in deer and elk is called chronic wasting disease or cwd.
This
sounds better than the infamous "mad cow disease", however they are
closely
related. I hunted Colorado this fall and they go into great detail on how
safely handle the meat. To date, there are no known cases of humans
contacting the disease.
As for diseased fish, thats all nonsense as far as I can tell. However,
if
someone read it on the internet, it must be true!
Gordon

Mad cow disease is caused by prions. I'm not totally clear on what that
is, but diseased meat cannot be made safe by cooking, unless the meat's
incinerated beyond the point of being edible. If CWD is also caused by
prions, there is no way to safely handle the meat other than to not eat
it.

As far as fish diseases, which ones are nonsense? Whirling disease?
Others? Enlighten me.

The Mad Cow prions seem to affect man. There is another prion disease found
in sheep, that does not cross over.

Gordon

Chronic wasting disease
http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fu...about.overview

Gordon

Gordon

http://www.healthcastle.com/farmed-salmon.shtml

A site that will still leave the issue confused.
Gordon

Bryan

"Gordon" wrote in message
Why is it a good thing to eat wild commercially caught salmon and a bad
thing to eat farmed salmon?
Here in Washington State, we spend millions to enhance streams, reverse
erosion, stop cows from peeing in creeks, etc to save dwindling stocks of
wild salmon and at the same time, conservationists tell us to eat wild
fish
only! What the ^%$&?

One reason might be one which is supposedly being dealt with: Any time
animals are kept in more crowded conditions than is natural for them,
disease spreads more quickly. I've read that there were (may still be?)
issues with diseased fish escaping farm operations in large enough numbers
to have an adverse effect on local wild populations. Perhaps people are
thinking of this when they say "don't eat farm raised fish".

On the other hand, wild fish populations are dwindling, so for certain
species, it makes sense to leave them alone and eat the farm raised
version. You just can't win with this issue, ya know?

And while I'm at it, why do people go nuts when there is a minor sewage
spill yet the city of Victoria Canada can dump 34 million gallons of
untreated sewage per DAY into the Straits of Juan de Fuca with no adverse
effects?
Gordon

Those filthy Canadians! I knew there was a reason they should be on our
list for invasion.

While we're pondering the unanswerable: When the batteries in the TV
remote are getting weak, why do we press harder on the buttons?

About a month ago (my timeline could be off bit) the news was reporting that
farm raised salmon were less healthy for humans than wild salmon; I don't
recall if it was a heart disease report, or something else.

Eisboch

"Bryan" wrote in message
et...

About a month ago (my timeline could be off bit) the news was reporting
that farm raised salmon were less healthy for humans than wild salmon; I
don't recall if it was a heart disease report, or something else.

If I recall correctly it had something to do with the amount of fat
contained in farm raised salmon.

Eisboch

dennyhugg

I think we may have missed part of the story. Wild salmon eat masses of
oceanic crustaceans that contain the orange or red pigment that makes
flamingos pink, scarlet ibises scarlet, and the meat of wild salmon
red. Farmed fish don't have access to crustaceans, so the fishfeed
formulators put red dye into the food to color the flesh as the
consumers have come to expect it to be.

There are scientific studies that claim the dye is harmful and should
not be eaten with consistency. And many of us like fish as a favorite
food to go after salmon with consistency.

Can't catch wild ones because of habitat degradation and overfishing
(Alaska silver salmon sport limit is down to one per day from six per
day as late as 1998). Can't eat the pen-reared ones because they're not
good for your body. Switch off to another favorite fish is the only
plan I have. My Mom used to tell me "there are plenty of fish in the
sea." She was talking about girls then, but I find that, fish or
girls, there are fewer and fewer keepers and the sea isn't as
well-populated now, either way you take it.