Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Eisboch

Default Winterizing an outboard

I just thought of something as I read with dismay that the temps are going
to drop like a lead ball tonight and tomorrow ....

When I recovered my Scout from the Florida storage place in early December,
I ran it in the yard with muffs, then blew air through the fresh water rinse
adaptor on the Yamaha engine. I had the leg pretty much down all the way
and continued blowing low pressure air until no water came out of the
telltale, the prop exhaust or the intakes at the bottom of the leg. This
is basically what I used to do with a previous 2 stroke engine (Merc) that I
had. It probably is not necessary since I recall that water in the head
will drain out anyway, as long as you have the leg down.

Then, I got busy with the house closing, etc. etc. and hooked the boat &
trailer up to the truck and towed it back here to MA.

It just dawned on me that the Yamaha is a 4 stoke, not a 2 stroke. I am
hoping like hell that it does not retain water somewhere in the head that
can't naturally drain or be blown out using low pressure air.

Anybody know?

Eisboch