Default Reinventing the fishing pole

The raingear vendor across the aisle from our booth at the Boat Show
showed up with a handful of really weird looking fishing rods today.

They are basically short sections of stainless steel, most with a built
in spring, attached to a
traditional rod handle with reel. The rods are about 15-24" in length.

I'm not the world's most avid fisherman, (far from it), but these
little gizmos are pretty neat.

Using only an empty swivel for weight, I cast a line about 20-25 feet
from a spin-casting reel.
With a small rubber casting plug, the short little "spring" pole cast
about as far as one might expect a six-foot rod to do.

During the "slow" period of the afternoon, the raingear vendor hooked a
dollar bill onto the line
and repeatedly tossed it out onto the middle of the carpet. He'd wait
until somebody bent down to pick it up, and then reel the dollar back
in. Right out of that old movie "Used Cars."
It was so corny that even the "victims" laughed.

What do the fishermen in the group think of these?

Izaak Walton must be spinning in his grave. (Would that make him a
flasher, or a dodger?)

http://www.emmrod.com/INDEX.cfm?page=home.cfm

Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Saw those at the Fred Hall San Fran show. Sort of neat, but would hate to
hook a decent fish on one. Not much shock absorbing in a 12" rod. And
besieds, you might look goofy at the stream side with the modernized Popiel
Pocket Fisherman.

JR North wrote:
Just the Popeil Pocket Fisherman(tm) re-invented.
JR

I just posted something of similar nature before reading your post,
sorry!

Jack Redington wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I could get one to replace my "Pocket Fisherman" :-)

Going to the Atlanta show tomarrow, Hope to be able to check these out.

Capt Jack R..

Seeing how we all know that part of fishing is spending gobs of money
on equipment that's barely ever used, just to have it, I'd probably buy
one! But, then again, JohnH and I are partners in an investment plan,
so we're going to be just stinking rich any time now. It has something
to do with some Nigerians who are in need of someone to give millions
of dollars to.