Bert Robbins

Default Off topic but not political...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Whatever happened to our respect for privacy in this country?

I'm referring to the struggles of Randy McCloy Jr., the miner who was
rescued from that mine explosion in West Virginia, but is in serious shape
in the hospital.

Certainly the public wants to know and is entitled to know that he is
alive and in treatment, but hardly an hour goes by without more intimate
details of his condition being announced. What's next? Displaying the
contents of his bedpan?

It's enough to know that the guy got out alive. If he recovers, maybe
we'll get a wave from him on TV. But these damned incessant and intrusive
news reports and interviews...enough already!

Blame it on all media, right, left, up, down. The public is not crying out
for information, it is the media that is bugging the family and the hospital
for the information.

So, call ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, NBC, AP, UPI, Reuters.... and tell them to
leave the guy alone.

FREDO

According to medical record confidentiality laws (HIPAA I think) passed in
the last couple of years someone in the family had to give written
permission for his medical condition to be released to the media.
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
Bert Robbins wrote:
[...]

I only disagree with your posit at the point where you say the public is
not crying out for info. TV especially is filled with exploitative media
24-7, and only some of it is "news" oriented programming. The public seems
to have a huge appetite for such information, and the media feeds that
appetite. And, of course, as you say, the media is to blame, too.

I just wish someone in the fella's family would have said, hey, it's none
of your damned business. And I fault the doctors, too. One would think
they'd need permission for all the damned news conferences.