Don White

Default Need to recommit or admit failure........

-rick- wrote:
"Skipper" wrote ...

NOYB wrote:

Well isn't Chuck the Eagle Scout!

Rather doubt it, but it does raise an interesting question. Just who are
the Eagle Scouts contribution to this NG? Both my son and I can claim
that honor, but he also earned his God and Country Award. I went further
in OA than he did and served some grueling times as troop Committee
Chairman. Wonder how many Eagles we have in this group?

I was a cub scout for a couple of months until they made us lip synch to "The
Monster Mash". That was enough.

The tune by Bobby 'Boris' Pickett?
I used to know the lyrics by heart.
http://www.oracleband.net/Lyrics/monster_mash.htm
P. Fritz

It is obvious a certain few people cannot stand the fact that the NG has
veered back toward its original intent

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message

************************************************** ************************
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss
boating, please do not respond to the political and inflammatory
off- topic posts and flames.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
FREDO wrote:
I sent this message to news.announce.newgroups to request a new
newsgroup called rec.boats.politics but they need someone who can put
together a "proper" presentation to request a new newsgroup. OBTW I went
to rec.backcountry the other day and they also have some serious OT
political banter going on!
Anyone out there want to tackle this?
:
It has been discussed several times in the past on rec.boats
(unmoderated)
that we have a new newsgroup called rec.boats.politics (unmoderated) to
help
eliminate the political off topic posts in this newsgroup. We have taken
steps voluntarily to keep the political posts out of rec.boats (sort of
"gentleman's agreement").Can you assist me with a formal request to
create
this new newsgroup as I feel it would help eliminate the off topic
posting
that many individuals participate in. I think this would give the people
with strong political views a forum they could use which would also be
close
to their common recreational love of boating.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Today has been really disappointing.

Some of the guys who were doing so well are back to making personal
remarks, and getting easily snagged by the couple of persistent,
totally self-absorbed offenders who insist on trolling their political
junk and years-old feuds through here.

None of my actual business, but from the perspective of a guy who is
generally not (currently) participating in the politics and personal
remarks I'm here to tell you we're about halfway back to "normal". If
we slip just a bit more, we'll have Harry screwing with everybody once
again- everybody screwing with Harry- and we'll be back to a group that
is primarily engaged in name-calling, pig piling, and politics. Boats
be damned. And why not? The non-boaters (or those who at least never
participate in boating discussions) seem to be among the worst
offenders.

But if the majority want a bitchfest, that's certainly what we'll have.
We can cut 'n paste political crap, call one another names, cut 'n
paste counter propaganda, call one another names, dredge up something
somebody allegedly said in 1995 and make a big issue of it, call some
more names, pig pile on the nearest liberal or conservative, etc etc
etc.

We're at a critical moment. Things have been much improved, but it only
takes a few ex-adults to break the cycle. I make no pretense of being
in a position to cast stones, but I can count the number of rocks in
the air and make a note of where they're landing. I guess if we go back
into the toilet it's no real loss, that's where this group apparently
prefers to be and where it has been for years- the laughing stock of
all boating sites. It's a shame, because we almost demonstrated we
could fix it, if we wanted to.

I would like to suggest that my fellow worst offenders ( I needn't name
names, you know darn well who you are) join me in a recommitment to
ignore trolls, refrain from launching political threads, etc. Anybody
among my fellow worst offenders who still gives a schlitz about the
dynamics of the group? This could be the last actual chance to stop
slipping back into the pit before the old sick and destructive momentum
takes over once again.....

We have proven we can do it if we want to. Do we want to? If so, this
is the hour for my fellow worst offenders to stay the recently improved
course.

You don't have t bother with a new group. Every other day, Chuck will
post a 250-word treatise on "proper" behavior, and the Rev. Jim will
chime in with a few Hail Marys and mea culpas. Immediately afterwards,
Chuck will tell us that those festering pustules on the bottom of the
boat you're thinking of buying don't really retract from its value, and
Jim will tell us that no matter what computer you have, *his* is faster.
Or some such nonsense.

If you happen to bring up any of the verboten subjects here, you'll
increase the frequency of their self-flagellations, confessions, and vows
of chastity.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:30:33 GMT, "FREDO" wrote:

I sent this message to news.announce.newgroups to request a new newsgroup
called rec.boats.politics but they need someone who can put together a
"proper" presentation to request a new newsgroup.

======================================

Where does that stop?

Next thing we will need rec.boats.snideremarks;
rec.boats.personalflamewars;
rec.boats.badbehavioringeneral;

and so on.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:29:15 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

If you happen to bring up any of the verboten subjects here, you'll
increase the frequency of their self-flagellations, confessions, and
vows of chastity.

==========

rec.boats.vowsofchastity ?

I think you can put that one on your inactive list.

P. Fritz

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:30:33 GMT, "FREDO" wrote:

I sent this message to news.announce.newgroups to request a new newsgroup
called rec.boats.politics but they need someone who can put together a
"proper" presentation to request a new newsgroup.

======================================

Where does that stop?

Next thing we will need rec.boats.snideremarks;
rec.boats.personalflamewars;
rec.boats.badbehavioringeneral;

and so on.

This was a tough one not to make a couple of snide additions to the
list.........................

Harry Krause wrote:

You don't have t bother with a new group. Every other day, Chuck will
post a 250-word treatise on "proper" behavior, and the Rev. Jim will
chime in with a few Hail Marys and mea culpas. Immediately afterwards,
Chuck will tell us that those festering pustules on the bottom of the
boat you're thinking of buying don't really retract from its value, and
Jim will tell us that no matter what computer you have, *his* is faster.
Or some such nonsense.

If you happen to bring up any of the verboten subjects here, you'll
increase the frequency of their self-flagellations, confessions, and
vows of chastity.

Screw that, Krause.

If I had to identify the *one* person who doesn't give a schlitz about
the group,
trolls without a moment's hesitation, considers the NG his personal
playpen, has recently posted that he finds the discussion of boating
topics "vapid", and has historically gone out of his way to stir things
up every time they settle down too much for his taste, guess who that
would be?

You spend your entire life in your computer haunting various
newsgroups. You seem to get some huge thrill from your ridiculously
silly ability to make nearly everybody dance to your weird, divisive,
hateful tune. You so misuse your intelligence and communication skills
that it's pathetic to watch you in action. You have a lot in common
with Rush Limbaugh, only he might be even brighter and his audience
isn't restricted to a couple of hundred people in a dozen newsgroups.
You're so desperate for a ****-fling that when everybody else is
ignoring you you start in on people who have long been guilty of
pretending your sick act somehow didn't exist in the first place.

Nearly everybody is trying to get things back on track. I never thought
that you would participate in any effort to ignore trolls, get back on
topic, forego political discussions,
avoid name calling, and treat even folks who hold differing political
values with respect.
That's not what you're about. The best hope is that if everybody avoids
responding to your
stinking bait (as I am breaking my normal pattern to do at this moment)
you'll shut the hell up or go away.

Or would you hope to convince us all that the festering pustule
behaviors at the bottom of the newsgroup have no effect on its overall
value?

Your turn: I'm sure your vicious reply will be a dandy. Make it your
best, as I'm done with this discussion and you get the "last word."

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

Kevin Noble?

You spend your entire life in your computer haunting various
newsgroups. You seem to get some huge thrill from your ridiculously
silly ability to make nearly everybody dance to your weird, divisive,
hateful tune. You so misuse your intelligence and communication skills
that it's pathetic to watch you in action. You have a lot in common
with Rush Limbaugh, only he might be even brighter and his audience
isn't restricted to a couple of hundred people in a dozen newsgroups.
You're so desperate for a ****-fling that when everybody else is
ignoring you you start in on people who have long been guilty of
pretending your sick act somehow didn't exist in the first place.

So much for the "no-personal-attacks" pledge, eh Chuck?

You just don't get it. It's possible to make rec.boats a useful boating
resource if everyone would just stay on-topic in the on-topic threads. You
don't need to completely eliminate the off-topic posts. Although I'm as bad
as anyone at posting lots of off-topic junk here, when I'm actually posting
to a boating-related thread, I stay on-topic. Try it...you might like it.

Wayne.B

Default OT Need to recommit or admit failure........

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:00:48 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

It's created an entirely new subculture he a group of posters who
continue to make snide remarks but try to be subtle about it.

Subltle has something to recommend it. At least we don't collectively
come off looking like a bunch of 7th graders in a playground squabble.