Larry

Default Marking line

Hi all,

I have to come up with something that'll measure objects up to about 5
metres long in the water alongside our boat.

Surveyors open reel tapes are a likely option, with a float on the end,
except that I really don't want 30 metres of tape if I only need 5.
There's also the problem of not easily being able to read the length
without clear metre markings.

I need something that will have a handle and winding reel so Scuba
reels are another choice but I'd have to find a way to mark or attach
vb cord / dacron / whatever in different colours for each metre.

Has anyone got any suggestions on any kind of waterproof reels or
marking tricks that might help me out?

Thanks very much!

Doug Kanter

"Larry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have to come up with something that'll measure objects up to about 5
metres long in the water alongside our boat.

Surveyors open reel tapes are a likely option, with a float on the end,
except that I really don't want 30 metres of tape if I only need 5.
There's also the problem of not easily being able to read the length
without clear metre markings.

I need something that will have a handle and winding reel so Scuba
reels are another choice but I'd have to find a way to mark or attach
vb cord / dacron / whatever in different colours for each metre.

Has anyone got any suggestions on any kind of waterproof reels or
marking tricks that might help me out?

Thanks very much!

Check this link:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...oductId=102088

In theory, this rope dip comes in colors, but I don't always see it in the
West Marine stores or at the web site. Maybe they only stock it during
warmer months, rather than keep it around getting old. Call their customer
service number and ask. It's made for dipping rope ends, but the lid has a
brush attached, and there's no reason you couldn't paint markings anywhere
on the rope.

FloydinTampa

It's hard to give a suggestion without knowing more about the situation(boat
size, water conditions, whatever is is you're measuring, whether or not
you'll be in the water or working from the boat, etc.)
A cheap way would be to just get some sections of PVC of a convienient
length that can be assembled with couplers and taped together when needed.
Use a marker or colored tape to make the measuring marks. Glue a plug on
each end so it will float, then you can attach a line to it and just throw
it alongside the object to be measured.

Larry

Wow thank you SO MUCH, I had no idea rope dip existed and it will be
PERFECT!!!!!

You've absolutely made my day, thank you so much for that suggestion.
I've got onto the makers, www.starbrite.com and can take it from there.

Again, a million thanks for that!

Lauren

ps have you used it before? has anyone reading this used it that can
testify to it's durability?