posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
Michael

Default Marine board finshing

I'm not a boater but I am a woodworker and was wondering if anyone can tell
me about this "starboard" or marine grade plastic sheet.

I've never used it before.

I'd like to know how well the edges can be finished on the material, with a
sander, buffer, jointer? or?

I can finish acrylic edges fine but have yet to meet a plastic that will
give a good finished edge......but I had someone suggest this Starboard
stuff. (would like 3/8" thick or 1/4")

Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
JimH

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I'm not a boater but I am a woodworker and was wondering if anyone can
tell me about this "starboard" or marine grade plastic sheet.

I've never used it before.

I'd like to know how well the edges can be finished on the material, with
a sander, buffer, jointer? or?

I can finish acrylic edges fine but have yet to meet a plastic that will
give a good finished edge......but I had someone suggest this Starboard
stuff. (would like 3/8" thick or 1/4")

Thanks.

I never worked with it but here are some good links on cutting and finishing
starboard:

http://www.tacomarine.com/support/St..._starboard.htm

http://www.wps.on.ca/plastic4boats/starboard.pdf

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
Wayne.B

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 10:30:51 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

I'd like to know how well the edges can be finished on the material, with a
sander, buffer, jointer? or?

I can finish acrylic edges fine but have yet to meet a plastic that will
give a good finished edge......but I had someone suggest this Starboard
stuff. (would like 3/8" thick or 1/4")

You should be able to finish the edge by wet sanding with
progressively finer grits starting around 320 and ending up at 1500 or
2000. Follow up with a quick buffing using a good polishing compound
and it should be mirror smooth.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
Jim Conlin

Starboard is a brand of polyethylene sheet sold for boat trim uses. It is
easily cut and shaped with saws, planes and routers but doesn't sand well.
It weathers very well but is heavy and does not have good stiffness or
strength for its weight.
Being polyehylene (think milk jugs) it does not hold a finish and can only
be glued using specialized and pricey adhesives.

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I'm not a boater but I am a woodworker and was wondering if anyone can

tell
me about this "starboard" or marine grade plastic sheet.

I've never used it before.

I'd like to know how well the edges can be finished on the material, with

sander, buffer, jointer? or?

I can finish acrylic edges fine but have yet to meet a plastic that will
give a good finished edge......but I had someone suggest this Starboard
stuff. (would like 3/8" thick or 1/4")

Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
Doug Kanter

wrote:

I'm not a boater but I am a woodworker and was wondering if anyone can
tell
me about this "starboard" or marine grade plastic sheet.

I've never used it before.

I'd like to know how well the edges can be finished on the material, with
sander, buffer, jointer? or?

I can finish acrylic edges fine but have yet to meet a plastic that will
give a good finished edge......but I had someone suggest this Starboard
stuff. (would like 3/8" thick or 1/4")

It you use a high speed router, it will take a surprising well
finished edge. On things that I've made with it, the edges have
always been smooth and when using a hollow ground blade, fairly
joinable.

The main problem is getting edges to stick together if you are
joining, but if you use a good grade epoxy and mechanical clamps, it
will set up very nicely.

You can get a fairly good finish using the technique that Wayne
described.

Did you find you had to slow down the router to keep the plastic from
melting?

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
Wayne.B

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:41:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Did you find you had to slow down the router to keep the plastic from
melting?

====================

The plastic melts when the cutting bit gets too hot. Slowing down too
much can actually make the problem worse. Nice sharp carbide bits are
the best defense, using nice beefy bits with a 1/2 inch shank helps
also.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
dazed and confuzzed

wrote:

Did you find you had to slow down the router to keep the plastic from
melting?

====================

The plastic melts when the cutting bit gets too hot. Slowing down too
much can actually make the problem worse. Nice sharp carbide bits are
the best defense, using nice beefy bits with a 1/2 inch shank helps
also.

we used to machine delrin parts in a shallow tub of water to prevent
melting. It kept the mill cool enough to allow decent feed rates.

Perhaps a mist of water (or even soapy water to keep the surface wet) to
keep things cool along with high cutter speeds and low feed rates?

the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Not really, but I must admit that it gummed up the bits - you had to
soak them in solvent to get the plastic off.

My first router experience was interesting. Tried it in the garage, and
whatever I did wrong, it send burning chunks of wood flying all over the
place, including right onto a couple of those aluminum chairs with the
plastic webbing. I learned how to re-web lawn chairs a few days later. :-)

DownTime

Doug Kanter wrote:
My first router experience was interesting. Tried it in the garage, and
whatever I did wrong, it send burning chunks of wood flying all over the
place, including right onto a couple of those aluminum chairs with the
plastic webbing. I learned how to re-web lawn chairs a few days later. :-)

funny story. it reminded me of my first(and last) efforts to learn about
wood-burning. i got pretty handy at self-bandaging...