posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats
Doug Kanter

Default Marine board finshing

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 10:30:51 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

I'm not a boater but I am a woodworker and was wondering if anyone can
tell
me about this "starboard" or marine grade plastic sheet.

I've never used it before.

I'd like to know how well the edges can be finished on the material, with
sander, buffer, jointer? or?

I can finish acrylic edges fine but have yet to meet a plastic that will
give a good finished edge......but I had someone suggest this Starboard
stuff. (would like 3/8" thick or 1/4")

It you use a high speed router, it will take a surprising well
finished edge. On things that I've made with it, the edges have
always been smooth and when using a hollow ground blade, fairly
joinable.

The main problem is getting edges to stick together if you are
joining, but if you use a good grade epoxy and mechanical clamps, it
will set up very nicely.

You can get a fairly good finish using the technique that Wayne
described.

Did you find you had to slow down the router to keep the plastic from
melting?