posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
FREDO

Default Mississippi River trip -- what does a newbie need to know?

Ted,
I think that stands for United States Power Squadrons?
Fredo

On 29 Dec 2005 14:36:14 -0800, "
wrote:

Get some training from USPS ??
The only USPS that I know of is the United States Postal Service.

http://www.usps.org/newpublic1/guesthome.htm

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

" JimH" wrote in message

"Dene" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm interested in taking my family down the Mississippi River some
summer. So far I have almost NO boating experience, so I recognize
that I can't start with a big project; I'll have to learn the basics
before taking The Big Expedition.

Some people have advised me against going on the Mississippi
altogether. "Too dangerous."

Okay. What do I need to know?

Thank you for all serious replies.

Ted Shoemaker

Great advice so far.

A good link with a lot of information.

http://members.aol.com/americacruisi...roduction.html

That is a great site. Wondering if there is a similar one for Cruising
Europe?

-Greg

Good question. Where in Europe are you from Greg and where in Europe do

you
cruise?

I always wanted to rent a houseboat and cruise the Ohio River or to check
out the Ft. Myers area.

Actually....I'm from Portland, Oregon where we play on this little brook
called the Columbia River. ;

But....I'd love to do Europe via boat, in about 15 years. Buy a boat there,
then use it, abuse it, and lose it.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

"sherwindu" wrote in message

Dene wrote:

I'm assuming a 32 foot powerboat with twin engines would have an easier

go
of it. Correct?

-Greg

Yes, as far as having enough power to fight the current. However, you

still
have
all the other problems I mentioned. The water is very silty, so you will

be
sucking
a lot of mud and debris into your cooling system, so be sure you can

handle
that.

Or get radiator cooling. My boat has that now to guard against salt water.
We love the red dot heat feature.

The floating debris can also do a number on your props. Issues of

anchoring
and
finding marinas also hold for you. There are facilities in Memphis, St.
Louis, and possibly
some marinas have opened up since my trip years ago. I'm not sure what is
going
on with New Orleans, since the hurricane. I stayed there on Lake

Ponchetrain,
which
I heard got hit pretty bad. You may want to take with some spares, like a
prop,
cooling system filters, etc. Consult a mechanic before taking off.

Will do....10 winters from now.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Yes. Someone else offered a URL, but unfortunately that message is set
to self-destruct in 6 days. For the benefit of anyone who may be
reading this more than 6 days from now, the URL is
http://www.usps.org/newpublic1/guesthome.htm

Ted Shoemaker

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
FREDO

Good luck on your trip and keep us posted in the N/G as to your research and
progress.
Fredo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes. Someone else offered a URL, but unfortunately that message is set
to self-destruct in 6 days. For the benefit of anyone who may be
reading this more than 6 days from now, the URL is
http://www.usps.org/newpublic1/guesthome.htm

Ted Shoemaker

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Boots

My family and I did it with a 34' House Boat and had a great
time. We also went up stream from the Ill. River. That is a
lot nicer trip.
"Dene" wrote in message

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Made the trip from Chicago to New Orleans many years ago

in a 22 foot
sailboat and a 6 h.p. SeaGull engine. That includes the

Illinois Ship
and Sanitary Canal and the Illinois River which enters the

Mississippi
at Grafton, Il. As mentioned earlier, you have to watch

the charts and
stay in the channel marked by buoys or run aground or hit

these dams.
Stay well clear of the huge tug boats which throw up

monstrous
wakes, especially when they are going upstream. The

current is very
strong, especially on bends of the river, so we missed a

few landings,
because we couldn't power against the current. There are

big floating
logs and other debris, which can do a lot of damage. We

had to rebuild
the lower transmission in Greenville, Mississippi and that

was doing
well considering other boats with us who had gone through

numerous
outboards. Don't expect a lot of marinas, but you must

find a place to
get off the main flow of the river for overnight stays.

You have to use
ingenuity, like tying up to barges, or seeking out sloughs

(old beds of
the river). I thought the main Mississippi River was the

most
interesting, especially from a historical viewpoint with

towns like
Cairo, Memphis, and Vicksburg. To really enjoy this trip,

you need
several months to see all the sights. Take with big

fenders, or tires
to protect your boat when tied up next to the huge tugs

inside the
monstrous locks. Not exactly a pleasure cruise and one I

would not want
to repeat, but I'm glad I experienced it