posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default Mississippi River trip -- what does a newbie need to know?

"sherwindu" wrote in message

Dene wrote:

I'm assuming a 32 foot powerboat with twin engines would have an easier

go
of it. Correct?

-Greg

Yes, as far as having enough power to fight the current. However, you

still
have
all the other problems I mentioned. The water is very silty, so you will

be
sucking
a lot of mud and debris into your cooling system, so be sure you can

handle
that.

Or get radiator cooling. My boat has that now to guard against salt water.
We love the red dot heat feature.

The floating debris can also do a number on your props. Issues of

anchoring
and
finding marinas also hold for you. There are facilities in Memphis, St.
Louis, and possibly
some marinas have opened up since my trip years ago. I'm not sure what is
going
on with New Orleans, since the hurricane. I stayed there on Lake

Ponchetrain,
which
I heard got hit pretty bad. You may want to take with some spares, like a
prop,
cooling system filters, etc. Consult a mechanic before taking off.

Will do....10 winters from now.

-Greg