Wayne.B

Default A Moderator for Rec.Boats

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:15:22 GMT, DownTime
wrote:

have you ever seen any civility when thte topic turns 'political'.

It is possible but sometimes everyone just has to agree to disagree
and leave it at that.

JohnH

Default Harry's rec.boats Posting Stats Aug 03 to Mid Dec 05

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:16:33 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

wrote:

I think that we change the world by first changing ourselves, rather
than by passing or enforcing a strict set of rules. Besides, I
personally don't mind a bit of OT stuff sprinkled in here and there.
It's the vicious, uncivil tone, and the personal remarks, and the daily
flame wars that have literally continued from one century to the next
that seem extremely juvenile.

Actions speak louder than words. Regardless of the thoughts expressed
by any individual poster about the type of group he or she would like
to see rec.boats become, following the tone, the volume, and the
content of the posts gives a true picture of that person's priorities.
How often have we heard, "I think calling names is disgusting, and I'll
stop as soon as that blankety, blankety, blankety, blank {insert name
here} does!"?

Actual adults wouldn't need a moderator, and a moderator wouldn't turn
most of us into actual adults.

I've filtered out *all* the right-wing droolers now, and simply don't
read their posts directly (obviously one still sees a couple of their
drippings here second hand), nor do I respond to any posters I've
designated as "droolers." But I'll still discuss "politics" or any other
issue with reasonable posters on any side of the spectrum. I wouldn't
filter out Ugly Old Sal****er Tom or Too Much Money for His Own Good
Eisboch.

Actually, I'm hoping Eisboch will let me take that crappy Ford truck off
his hands for, say, $1500 American. I have the money right here.

If you get his truck for $1500, I'd think it only fair that you let me take over the YoHo for a
couple grand more!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
JohnH

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:09:58 GMT, Don White wrote:

wrote:

Not the moderating type, sorry.

[...]

That makes more sense than a couple dozen 'newsgroup sermons'.
Since it's Christmas week I'm going to try to turn the other cheek (no
not that one Krueger) and try to reflect on the reason for Christmas.

I like it!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
wrote:

[...]

The reason for Christmas? Why, to sell Americans goods made in the
People's *Republic* of China.

I was about to buy a waffle iron as a gift for someone when I noticed on
the box that it was "made in China." Nope, not me. When I can avoid buying
goods mande in the PRC, I do.

Only 7 more shopping days till "Holiday".

JohnH

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:07:16 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:53:47 -0600, Skipper wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Appears the *only* resolution to the problem is a moderator, IMO:

================================================= ==

I don't think that's the only resolution at all. A bit more civility
and adult behavior would go along way, as would some modicum of regard
for others.

For those who still don't get it, there's always the kill file.

Agreed.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

wrote:

[...]

With a limited market in this area, (due to small population and
relative isolation) it's very hard to avoid 'Made in China' goods.
Dan Krueger

Skipper wrote:

Appears the *only* resolution to the problem is a moderator, IMO:

I don't think that's the only resolution at all. A bit more civility
and adult behavior would go along way, as would some modicum of regard
for others.

For those who still don't get it, there's always the kill file.

The kill file only works if people follow Usenet SOP. My biggest gripe
is the lack of the simple insertion of the letters "OT" ahead of the
subject in an off-topic post - or a post that has become off-topic. I
have those filtered and it seems to eliminate a third of what makes it
to my news reader.

I would prefer not to filter individual people since most are excellent
participants in on-topic threads. I have only a half dozen people
filtered and many of them have either left or no one is responding to
them (the only way I would see it).

Dan
Netsock

Skipper wrote:

Appears the *only* resolution to the problem is a moderator, IMO:

================================================= ==

I don't think that's the only resolution at all. A bit more civility
and adult behavior would go along way, as would some modicum of regard
for others.

For those who still don't get it, there's always the kill file.

Right. I kill file all the morons who regularly post OT, and the
idiots who feed them.

If this group were to ever get a moderator, I know a couple peoples
who's heads would explode.

__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/
Netsock

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:27:07 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

Wow!!! That's one heck of a lot of time on the keyboard. That's rec.boats
ONLY? So Bert, who are the ten most frequent posters to rec.boats? Any
idea?

What else do you expect from an old blue-collar forced-into-retirement
fat, ugly, bald guy...with a fat wife living in a 30k house?

Frankly, I'm surprised the lying moron can even *use* a computer.
__