Smithers

Default "Clean" 12V for Laptop on Boat

Harry,
Why don't you just use the built in battery, and then recharge it when you
get home from your day of boating?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I just got in DeLorme's new Street Atlas 2006 with the GPS puck for my
laptop, and I'm going to order some inexpensive NAV software right after
the first of the year. My current laptop is a four year old IBM T23, which
has been more than sufficient for my use while traveling. It has a 12V
"cigar lighter" adapter/inverter box, which I have used without incident on
cars and boats. I'm assuming this device is sufficent to "clean" that raw
boat battery power so I don't fry the laptop. I haven't had any problems
with 12V power glitches so far, but I don't know if I'm walking on the wild
side here.

--
War is not pro-life.

JimH

"Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my real name. wrote in message
. ..
Harry,
Why don't you just use the built in battery, and then recharge it when you
get home from your day of boating?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I just got in DeLorme's new Street Atlas 2006 with the GPS puck for my
laptop, and I'm going to order some inexpensive NAV software right after
the first of the year. My current laptop is a four year old IBM T23, which
has been more than sufficient for my use while traveling. It has a 12V
"cigar lighter" adapter/inverter box, which I have used without incident
on cars and boats. I'm assuming this device is sufficent to "clean" that
raw boat battery power so I don't fry the laptop. I haven't had any
problems with 12V power glitches so far, but I don't know if I'm walking
on the wild side here.

Smithers, laptop batteries may give you 3 hours or so of power. You would
need to plug it into a reliable power source when out boating.

Harry, I would think that you would be OK using the boat battery if you
never had problems using the car battery.

Smithers

For $80 to $100 you can buy adaptors specially designed for auto and boats.
If my Notebook was new, I would probably buy it. If it was 3 to 4 yrs old,
I would assume the laptop is almost obsolete and say the money.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...refurbished=It is interesting to note, you can now buy basic laptops for $500." JimH" wrote in ... "Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my real name. wrote in messagenews:OLOdnUCBorNaiTnenZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@comca st.com... Harry, Why don't you just use the built in battery, and then recharge it whenyou get home from your day of boating? "Harry Krause" wrote in ...I just got in DeLorme's new Street Atlas 2006 with the GPS puck for mylaptop, and I'm going to order some inexpensive NAV software right after thefirst of the year. My current laptop is a four year old IBM T23, which hasbeen more than sufficient for my use while traveling. It has a 12V "cigarlighter" adapter/inverter box, which I have used without incident on carsand boats. I'm assuming this device is sufficent to "clean" that raw boatbattery power so I don't fry the laptop. I haven't had any problems with 12Vpower glitches so far, but I don't know if I'm walking on the wild sidehere. Smithers, laptop batteries may give you 3 hours or so of power. You wouldneed to plug it into a reliable power source when out boating. Harry, I would think that you would be OK using the boat battery if younever had problems using the car battery.

Bill McKee

[...]

Just buy a $20 140 watt inverter and plug in the AC charger to the inverter.
Have used that for years with different laptops. No problems. Went this
way in about 1996 when it was $200+ for a 12 volt charger for the Dell
laptop.

Dan Krueger

Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Exactly. The notebook's battery charger will isolate any spikes and the
notebook's battery will compensate for any voltage drops.

Dan

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM