Wayne.B

Default Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:57:05 GMT, DownTime
wrote:

I had thought that similar to a search of private property, such as a
vehicle or a house, law enforcement can not simply search because they
are in the neighborhood, or in this case, passing you in the channel.

========================

In theory, only the USCG has the right to board and inspect your
vessel without probable cause. It's not easy to do, but if more
people would "just say no", some of this nonsense might stop
eventually.

K. Smith

Harry Krause wrote:
wrote:

Enroute from Seattle to Poulsbo, (to do a little "holiday" shopping),
we got hauled down by the Coast Guard in Port Madison.

It was really no big deal, but I thought a few things were odd:

First, I was monitoring 16 but there was no attempt to hail the boat.
The CG was originally proceeding in the opposite direction, but then
did a quick turn to come up along side.

Second, the kids were, *kids*!. Two male and two female officers, (the
female officers stayed aboard the patrol boat), but they all looked
like they had graduated high school just last June.

I sort of had to help the one kid through the inspection. He didn't
know the name of the body of water where he had stopped us. (!) He
looked really puzzled after he asked whether we had our sanitation Y
valve wired shut and I told him "no". I let him stew for a few seconds
before telling him we have an approved Type I MSD. He was really
relieved as he continued his report. "Oh, yeah! Approved Type I MSD!
Super, thanks."

They looked at:

1) Documentation and ID
2) PFD's
3) oil discharge placard
4) garbage placard
5) fire extinguishers
6) horn
7) throwable devices (we carry two life rings)

They made a big deal about having Chart #1 on board. (I did).
They didn't even ask to see my flares........and that's a good thing as
my 12-gauge flares expired the end of November 2005. :-)

While the one officer followed me around the boat to check off his
list, the other officer sat at the dining table and called a *lot* of
personal information from my driver's license into a central data bank.

I did get a warning for my horn. Every few years that electric horn
gives out, and in the wet weather we have had the last few weeks it
decided to crap out since the last use and just in time for the CG
boarding. I think I'll look into an air horn. The CG officer did
mention that if I get boarded again and the horn isn't working the CG
can order me to cease operations- so I'll pick up a canned horn (which
is enough to meet the requirement) while deciding about the air horn.

Worst part of the experience was the 15 minute delay. Overall, the CG
was very professional and polite.

Obviously, the Coasties were not aware that you are known to hang out in
rec.boats with the right-wing militia types.

The one time I was "boarded" in Chesapeake Bay was by a beautiful young
resources cop. The single buddy I was with at the time tried to pick her
up for a date.

Later that season, I read where she was shot and killed by some bad guys
on the Bay. I recall "drug smugglers" were suspected. This was eight or
nine years ago, if my fading memory serves. I've had no luck dredging up
a news clipping about the shooting.

This is clearly just another of the Krause lies, so I'll keep a copy for
later.

He just makes this BS up as he goes along, seriously given the rubbish
he posts here by the minute can anyone with a brain (that leaves his
leftie lackies well out of it).

Imagine he wouldn't have gone on & on & on about this made up story??

Forgetting the factual holes in it, like all his lies before it's
designed to perpetuate the lie that he even has a boat.

Anyway just calling the liar as more of you should, he's so full on BS.

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

(!) He
looked really puzzled after he asked whether we had our sanitation Y
valve wired shut and I told him "no". I let him stew for a few seconds
before telling him we have an approved Type I MSD.

Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be secured to
prevent discharge.When operating in a No Discharge Zone, a Type I or Type II
MSD must be secured in some way to prevent discharge. Closing the seacock
and padlocking, using a non-releasable wire-tie, or removing the seacock
handle would be sufficient.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Chuck,
If you have a Type I or Type II MSD, the MSD must be secured with a seacock
and padlocking or wire-tie.

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type III
MSD...and only the Type III MSD doesn't need to be padlocked or wired shut.
Your Type I MSD *does* need to be secured according to the description that
I posted above.

You've got it backward, NOYB.

A type-III system is a holding tank. A holding tank does nothing to
disinfect human waste.
It's simply a storage tank for sewage. You can't pump your holding tank
overboard in any inland waters or less than three miles offshore. The
only time you can operate in inland waters or less than 3-miles
offshore with a Type III without your Y valve wired shut is if you own
one of the increasing numbers of boats that have no option for disposal
of waste except a pumpout- and in that case you won't have a Y valve.

A type-I system reduces the bacterial count to something that would
compare to the output of a typical, shoreside, sewage treatment plant
and (mine, at least) also "liquifies" any solids before discharge.

Outside of a designated no-discharge zone, it is not illegal to dump
properly treated sewage into the water. (That's exactly what happens to
it if you pump out and it goes to
a taxpayer funded shoreside facility- it gets treated and dumped back
into the water). I do have a holding tank on board for use in a
no-discharge zone. When boarded, I was not in a no-discharge zone and I
did not have my Y valve wired shut. (I don't "wire it shut" when we
switch to the holding tank, to be honest- it's down in the engine room
and there is no chance that anybody would ever mess with it except
myself.

BeenWetter

Here in Michigan, the law was amended in 2002 and now states:.. The
operator of the vessel shall do the following upon the request of the
peace officer:..... If the vessel does not bear a decal described in
section 80166a or an equivalent decal issued by or on behalf of another
state, submit to a reasonable inspection and test....." The decal
referenced is the VSC decal, from the Auxiliary or the Power Squadron,
and now used by all DNR and County marine patrols (yes, they all use
the IDENTICAL decal!!).

So, if you have a current decal and there is no cause, you will not be
inspected on Michigan waters by different agencies. (Note: this is
state law, and the CG is not subject to it, so they can inspect as they
please).

See
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg....166&highlight=

AFAIK, Michigan is the only state that codified benefits to receiving a
Vessel Safety Check and receiving a decal when all requirements are
met.

Bud - US Coast Guard Auxiliary 9CR

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type III
MSD...and only the Type III MSD doesn't need to be padlocked or wired
shut.
Your Type I MSD *does* need to be secured according to the description
that
I posted above.

You've got it backward, NOYB.

"Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be secured to
prevent discharge."

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Here's the portion that you keep overlooking:

"Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has been
declared a No Discharge Zone,............................

Most of Puget Sound is *not* a no discharge zone. It is, of course,
illegal to discharge *untreated* sewage anywhere in inland waters or
less than three miles off shore. The difference is that in a "no
discharge zone" you can't dump treated sewage, either.

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type III
[...]

Thanks.

Here's mo

[[Page 503]]

(b) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge
of treated or untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental
Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3 or 140.4, the operator must secure
each Type I or Type II device in a manner which prevents discharge of
treated or untreated sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device
include--
(1) Closing the seacock and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the
closed position; or
(4) Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a
padlock or door handle key lock.
(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge
of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency
under 40 CFR 140.3, the operator must secure each Type III device in a
manner which prevents discharge of sewage. Acceptable methods of
securing the device include--
(1) Closing each valve leading to an overboard discharge and
removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the
closed position; or
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold each valve leading to an
overboard discharge in the closed position.
[CGH 95-028, 62 FR 51194, Sept. 30, 1997]So what constitutes a
"non-releasable wire-tie"? And how do I fasten it to my thru-hull
seacock?Would monel wire wrapped several times around it suffice?

*JimH*

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type
III
[...]

Are you going to believe me now?

NOYB

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type
III
[...]

I believed you before. I just was confused as to why Gould felt that he
didn't need to secure his Type I MSD...and the answer was that he was not in
a "No Discharge Zone".

So tell me...
How do I use wire to secure my thru-hull seacock?

*JimH*

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

" *JimH*" wrote in message
. ..

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type
III
[...]

Remove the handle or wire the handle closed with a plastic wire tie.