Default Coast Guard turning over lighthouse operation to local govts??

Here's an interesting item:

It appears that the West Point lighthouse is being gifted by the USCG
to the Seattle Parks Dept.

This is an active and important light.

I wonder if the city plans to assume operation of the light or if the
USCG will continue to maintain the nav. aid. (Like nearly all lights
these days,I believe the West Point Light is fully automated)

Office of Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard Thirteenth District

Press Release Date: Oct. 11, 2005
Contact: PA2 Kurt Fredrickson
(206) 220-7237

WEST POINT LIGHTHOUSE CHANGES OWNERSHIP

SEATTLE - The West Point Lighthouse will be officially turned over to
Seattle Parks and Recreation during a ceremony Wednesday at 11:30 a.m.,
at Discovery Park in Seattle. For more information click on the
following link.
http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspa...Lighthouse.pdf

###

The U.S. Coast Guard is a military, maritime, multi-mission service
within the
Department of Homeland Security dedicated to protecting the safety and
security of America.

View this document online
U.S. Coast Guard - 13th District
13th District Public Information Site
Visit this link to unsubscribe:

Sal's Dad

If it's like the lighthouses I am familiar with, in Maine, the USCG
continues to take responsibility for the ATON, with the clear understanding
that life would be easier for them if the building were demolished, and the
light set up on a steel pole. The local group is completely responsible
for the restoration and perpetual maintenance of the building(s).
http://tinyurl.com/bhgpp

http://www.islandinstitute.org/progr...ne_Lighthouses

Sal's Dad

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

John Gaquin

wrote in message

I wonder if the city plans to assume operation of the light or if the
USCG will continue to maintain the nav. aid. (Like nearly all lights
these days,I believe the West Point Light is fully automated)

All lights used in navigation are automated, and all lights but one are
unmanned but visited regularly for routine mx, etc. The Boston Light, on
Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor is the oldest lighthouse in the
country, and is a manned lighthouse. The light is staffed partially by a
program of the USCGAux, under the aegis of the USCG 1st District.

See:

http://www.uscgaux.org/~013/Boston_l...20Overview.htm

Garth Almgren

Around 10/11/2005 4:48 PM, wrote:

Here's an interesting item:

It appears that the West Point lighthouse is being gifted by the USCG
to the Seattle Parks Dept.

This is an active and important light.

I wonder if the city plans to assume operation of the light or if the
USCG will continue to maintain the nav. aid. (Like nearly all lights
these days,I believe the West Point Light is fully automated)

That's been happening a lot with area lighthouses. The Mukilteo
lighthouse grounds and buildings were leased to the city of Mukilteo in
1991, and given outright to the city in 2001. Though owned by the city,
the navigational equipment is still ostensibly maintained by the USCG.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=32

"Ostensibly" because about all the maintenance that is required is
washing the glass and occasionally changing one of the bulbs, and that
is probably handled by Mukilteo Historical Society volunteers.

Aside: My first Scoutmaster was the last CG assigned to and stationed at
the Mukilteo lighthouse. We used to have our Scout meetings in the
basement of Quarters B: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/mukilteo5.jpg

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:48:09 -0700, chuckgould.chuck wrote:

Here's an interesting item:

It appears that the West Point lighthouse is being gifted by the USCG
to the Seattle Parks Dept.

Better than the Canadian Govt that made them all UNMANNED!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Bob

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:56:00 -0400, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

wrote in message

I wonder if the city plans to assume operation of the light or if the
USCG will continue to maintain the nav. aid. (Like nearly all lights
these days,I believe the West Point Light is fully automated)

All lights used in navigation are automated, and all lights but one are
unmanned but visited regularly for routine mx, etc. The Boston Light, on
Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor is the oldest lighthouse in the
country, and is a manned lighthouse.

a bit of trivia since i'm a radio op at USCG STA sandy hook, n.j....

sandy hook light house is the oldest one in operation according to the
USCG (http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/...ousefacts.html).
although the brewster lighthouse was constructed first. that one
burned down and was rebuilt later...

just a matter of definition, i suppose...like those of us born in
pittsburgh are taught that KDKA was the first radio station...

to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field