BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/63696-boarded-coast-guard-yesterday.html)

[email protected] December 4th 05 05:17 PM

Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

Enroute from Seattle to Poulsbo, (to do a little "holiday" shopping),
we got hauled down by the Coast Guard in Port Madison.

It was really no big deal, but I thought a few things were odd:

First, I was monitoring 16 but there was no attempt to hail the boat.
The CG was originally proceeding in the opposite direction, but then
did a quick turn to come up along side.

Second, the kids were, *kids*!. Two male and two female officers, (the
female officers stayed aboard the patrol boat), but they all looked
like they had graduated high school just last June.

I sort of had to help the one kid through the inspection. He didn't
know the name of the body of water where he had stopped us. (!) He
looked really puzzled after he asked whether we had our sanitation Y
valve wired shut and I told him "no". I let him stew for a few seconds
before telling him we have an approved Type I MSD. He was really
relieved as he continued his report. "Oh, yeah! Approved Type I MSD!
Super, thanks."

They looked at:

1) Documentation and ID
2) PFD's
3) oil discharge placard
4) garbage placard
5) fire extinguishers
6) horn
7) throwable devices (we carry two life rings)

They made a big deal about having Chart #1 on board. (I did).
They didn't even ask to see my flares........and that's a good thing as
my 12-gauge flares expired the end of November 2005. :-)

While the one officer followed me around the boat to check off his
list, the other officer sat at the dining table and called a *lot* of
personal information from my driver's license into a central data bank.

I did get a warning for my horn. Every few years that electric horn
gives out, and in the wet weather we have had the last few weeks it
decided to crap out since the last use and just in time for the CG
boarding. I think I'll look into an air horn. The CG officer did
mention that if I get boarded again and the horn isn't working the CG
can order me to cease operations- so I'll pick up a canned horn (which
is enough to meet the requirement) while deciding about the air horn.

Worst part of the experience was the 15 minute delay. Overall, the CG
was very professional and polite.

Lord Reginald Smithers December 4th 05 05:36 PM

Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

Harry,
Wow, you have not been boarded in the last 8 or 9 years?

What do you account this too?

I thought you were living in Florida 8 or 9 years ago?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
[...]

Obviously, the Coasties were not aware that you are known to hang out in
rec.boats with the right-wing militia types.

The one time I was "boarded" in Chesapeake Bay was by a beautiful young
resources cop. The single buddy I was with at the time tried to pick her
up for a date.

Later that season, I read where she was shot and killed by some bad guys
on the Bay. I recall "drug smugglers" were suspected. This was eight or
nine years ago, if my fading memory serves. I've had no luck dredging up a
news clipping about the shooting.

--
Military Intelligence: Another Faith-based Initiative

Wayne.B December 4th 05 11:19 PM

On 4 Dec 2005 09:17:36 -0800, wrote:

I did get a warning for my horn. Every few years that electric horn
gives out, and in the wet weather we have had the last few weeks it
decided to crap out since the last use and just in time for the CG
boarding. I think I'll look into an air horn.

By all means get the air horn(s). We were boarded by the USCG in
Florida last summer, first time in 40+ years on the water. The young
coastie in charge finally got around to asking about the horn. I told
him we had an air horn. He gave me a skeptical look as though I were
about to pull out a small freon horn so I asked him if he wanted to
hear it. He said yes. Fortunately the compressor driven air tank had
close to full pressure so that when I leaned on the button, the sound
of the twin Buell trumpets was still echoing 10 seconds later. I
asked if that was OK and he smiled and said yes.

Everyone was very polite and professional but it does make you feel
one step closer to a police state. That will make some happy I
suppose.

DownTime December 4th 05 11:57 PM

wrote:
Enroute from Seattle to Poulsbo, (to do a little "holiday" shopping),
we got hauled down by the Coast Guard in Port Madison.

... snipped for brevity ...

We have been frequrent visitoris's to the Florida Keys the past number
of years. Usually we are there during lobster season, including the mini
two-day season. We had had days when we had been boarded & inspected at
least 3 times per day. The past two years, I've not even seen a Marine
Patrol boat in our area.

I completely understand the need to perform the checks, but in the
normal course of a boating day, what rights does a boat owner have to
say 'no, you can not board my vessel'? The times we got stopped multiple
times per day, it was a different agency each time. I understand and
agree to a point what they are doing during that time of the year. Heck,
I think they have more work to do than most realize, but that is topic
for another thread.

I had thought that similar to a search of private property, such as a
vehicle or a house, law enforcement can not simply search because they
are in the neighborhood, or in this case, passing you in the channel.

I have never yet denied the request to check, heck I ain't hiding
anything, but where does one's rights apply? A link or official website
would be greaty appreciated.

NOYB December 5th 05 12:12 AM

Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

Chuck,
What are the rules regarding sanitation Y valves? How do I know if I have a
Type I MSD.

My system has a Jabsco electric flush toilet, that dumps into a holding
tank. There are two through-hulls. One is the inlet through-hull to allow
sea water in for flushing. The other is the outlet through-hull that pumps
out the holding tank underneath the boat. On the side walkaround, there is
a pump-out cap.

When you flush the toilet, it goes to the small holding tank. You then have
to press a button on the rear bulkhead of the cabin to pump the waste
through the outlet through-hull. If the outlet through-hull is closed, the
waste pumps up through the topside pump out drain that's covered with a cap.

Is that a Type I MSD?

oups.com...

*JimH* December 5th 05 12:15 AM

Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

You have a type 3.

a.. Type I MSD's treat sewage so that the discharged effluent meets
specified standards for bacteria content and contains no visible floating
solids.
a.. Type II MSD's are similar, but must meet a higher standard of sewage
treatment.
a.. Type III MSD's retain sewage for shore based disposal or discharge
beyond the three mile offshore limit.

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...
Chuck,
What are the rules regarding sanitation Y valves? How do I know if I have
a Type I MSD.

My system has a Jabsco electric flush toilet, that dumps into a holding
tank. There are two through-hulls. One is the inlet through-hull to
allow sea water in for flushing. The other is the outlet through-hull
that pumps out the holding tank underneath the boat. On the side
walkaround, there is a pump-out cap.

When you flush the toilet, it goes to the small holding tank. You then
have to press a button on the rear bulkhead of the cabin to pump the waste
through the outlet through-hull. If the outlet through-hull is closed,
the waste pumps up through the topside pump out drain that's covered with
a cap.

Is that a Type I MSD?

oups.com...

NOYB December 5th 05 12:33 AM

Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

wrote in message
oups.com...

(!) He
looked really puzzled after he asked whether we had our sanitation Y
valve wired shut and I told him "no". I let him stew for a few seconds
before telling him we have an approved Type I MSD.

Whenever a vessel equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD (these types
discharge treated sewage) is operating in an area of water that has been
declared a No Discharge Zone, the MSD cannot be used and must be secured to
prevent discharge.When operating in a No Discharge Zone, a Type I or Type II
MSD must be secured in some way to prevent discharge. Closing the seacock
and padlocking, using a non-releasable wire-tie, or removing the seacock
handle would be sufficient.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ting/4_2_f.htm

Chuck,
If you have a Type I or Type II MSD, the MSD must be secured with a seacock
and padlocking or wire-tie.

From the definitions that I've read, it appears that I have a Type III
MSD...and only the Type III MSD doesn't need to be padlocked or wired shut.
Your Type I MSD *does* need to be secured according to the description that
I posted above.

Bryan December 5th 05 12:40 AM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 4 Dec 2005 09:17:36 -0800, wrote:

I did get a warning for my horn. Every few years that electric horn
gives out, and in the wet weather we have had the last few weeks it
decided to crap out since the last use and just in time for the CG
boarding. I think I'll look into an air horn.

Everyone was very polite and professional but it does make you feel
one step closer to a police state. That will make some happy I
suppose.

Personally, I don't feel that I'm closer to a police state, but I don't want
to be boarded. I don't want to be boarded because I'm afraid that they'll
find something missing from the mandatory list. Then I would have to deal
with either a fine or a shut down of my boating day or embarrassment in
front of my guests ...

I do support the idea of training sessions, but it would be nice if they
would ask permission to board and accept the answer given. Of course, if
they had cause then they don't need to ask my permission except out of
courtesy.

Bryan December 5th 05 01:19 AM

Boarded by the Coast Guard yesterday

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:40:34 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

......I'm afraid that they'll find something missing from the mandatory
list. .....

This is your Kryptonite! If you *know* beforehand what is expected of
you and you can't deliver..... really, ...... in all seriousness, you
shouldn't be boating....

I'm pretty obsessive about my list, but it's always a worry. After all,
entropy is a hard law to fight.

Bryan

Wayne.B December 5th 05 01:39 AM

wrote:

Of course, if
they had cause then they don't need to ask my permission except out of
courtesy.

That's the problem. The USCG has long standing governmental
authorization to board any vessel at any time without probable cause -
even in international waters.