Default Rep. Randy Cunningham resigns!

I would say for the better. Regardless what party, there's no room for
crooked politicians.
He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. And the
contractor[s] should go down with him.

Congressman Quits After Admitting Bribes
Republican Lawmaker Pleads Guilty to Tax Violations
By ELLIOT SPAGAT, AP

APRep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif., wipes away tears while
making a statement outside the federal courthouse in San Diego.

SAN DIEGO (Nov. 28) - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term
congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock, pleaded guilty to
graft and tearfully resigned Monday, admitting he took $2.4 million in
bribes from defense contractors to steer business their way.

"The truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my
office," the 63-year-old Republican said at a news conference. "I know
that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions,
most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."

He could get up to 10 years in prison at sentencing Feb. 27 on federal
charges of conspiracy to commit bribery and fraud, and tax evasion.

Investigators said Cunningham, a member of a House Appropriations
subcommittee that controls defense dollars, secured contracts worth
tens of millions of dollars for those who paid him off. Prosecutors did
not identify the defense contractors.

Cunningham was charged in a case that grew out of an investigation into
the sale of his home to a defense contractor at an inflated price.

The congressman had already announced in July - after the investigation
became public - that he would not seek re-election next year. But until
he entered his plea, he had insisted he had done nothing wrong.

Cunningham's plea came amid a series of GOP scandals: Rep. Tom DeLay of
Texas had to step down as majority leader after he was indicted in a
campaign finance case; a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill
Frist is being looked at by regulators; and Vice President Dick
Cheney's chief of staff was indicted in the CIA leak case.

*By the Numbers*

$2.4 million
Value of bribes Rep. Cunningham admits to taking through checks
totaling over $1 million, cash, rugs, antiques, furniture, yacht club
fees and vacations

$1.8 million
Amount he will return to the government as penalty

$1.675 million
Price defense contractor Mitchell Wade paid the congressman for his Del
Mar, Calif. house in Nov. 2003

$975,000
Sale price of the same house, a year later, resulting in a $700,000
loss for Wade. The transaction first sparked an inquiry

$2.55 million
Price of the Cunningham's next house, a mansion in Rancho Santa Fe,
Calif., paid for in part through the profit made on the Del Mar
property

Source: AP

Cunningham, a swaggering former flying ace with the Navy during the
Vietnam War, was known on Capitol Hill for his interest in defense
issues and his occasional outbursts.

In court documents, prosecutors said Cunningham admitted receiving at
least $2.4 million in bribes paid in a variety of forms, including
checks totaling over $1 million, cash, antiques, rugs, furniture, yacht
club fees and vacations.

Among other things, prosecutors said, Cunningham was given $1.025
million to pay down the mortgage on his Rancho Santa Fe mansion,
$13,500 to buy a Rolls-Royce and $2,081 for his daughter's graduation
party at a Washington hotel.

"He did the worst thing an elected official can do - he enriched
himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put
him there," U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said.

Cunningham was allowed to remain free while he awaits sentencing. He
also agreed to forfeit his mansion, more than $1.8 million in cash, and
antiques and rugs.

The case began when authorities started investigating Cunningham's sale
of his Del Mar house to defense contractor Mitchell Wade for
$1,675,000. Wade sold the house nearly a year later for $975,000 - a
loss of $700,000 in a hot real estate market.

Prosecutors did not specify if the house purchase was part of
Cunningham's guilty pleas.

In addition to buying Cunningham's home at an inflated price, Wade let
him live rent-free on the congressman's yacht, the Duke Stir, at a
yacht club. Wade's company, MZM Inc., also donated generously to
Cunningham's campaigns.

Around the same time, MZM was winning defense contracts.

Associated Press reporter Erica Werner in Washington contributed to
this report.

11/28/05 16:39 EST

"He did the worst thing an elected official can do - he enriched
himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put
him there," U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said.

Exactly!

Hope they get the cocksuckers who were bribing him too.

agreed!

THAT would send the right message.

Probably not "right" enough.
What I mean, is fines and "country club" jail time shouldn't work.

Hard labor? YEAH! But it probably won't happen.

John H.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:10:12 -0800, jps wrote:

In article . com,
says...

I would say for the better. Regardless what party, there's no room for
crooked politicians.
He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. And the
contractor[s] should go down with him.

Congressman Quits After Admitting Bribes
Republican Lawmaker Pleads Guilty to Tax Violations
By ELLIOT SPAGAT, AP

APRep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif., wipes away tears while
making a statement outside the federal courthouse in San Diego.

Bet he was wiping away tears of joy as he was taking all those ****ing
bribes.

Hope they get the cocksuckers who were bribing him too.

THAT would send the right message.

jps

Amen, brother, amen!
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Self-obsessed Hypocrite]

Name one member of Congress - other than maybe Ron Paul - who hasn't.

Fred, I know what you're saying.. Like the Captian in "Master
Commander: The Far Side" said , while they were resting on the
Galapagos Islands, concerning tracking down theFrench Man-o-War:

"She's long gone by now. Like looking for an honest man in
Parlament..."

Concerning Bill? you didn't include selling Ambassadorships and
pardoning a drug dealer that was represented by his own brother-in-law
for cash.

jps

In article , PocoLoco415
@hotmail.com says...
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:10:12 -0800, jps wrote:

Hope they get the cocksuckers who were bribing him too.

THAT would send the right message.

jps

Amen, brother, amen!

Maybe this is the issue that can charge up and reunite our country.

The assholes that are peddling influence should be tarred, feathered and
run out of town. I don't think we elected these folks to be waterboys
for special interests.

jps
Sir Rodney Smithers

Kevin,
When you keep jumping off the cliff, does it hurt or do the other furry
little creatures break your fall?

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I would say for the better. Regardless what party, there's no room for
crooked politicians.

snip

Just another example of the Republicans being the *Pigs at the Trough
Party*!

Just another example of the Republicans being the *Pigs at the Trough Party*!

Wrong again Guzzi-boy!

Just another example of another crooked politician.