Default Canon PowerShot A610 Digital Camera

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
I am trying to find a camera for my college age daughter.

I want the best combination of compact size and quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cameras I should look at?

Does anyone have any experience with the Canon PowerShot A610 Digital
Camera?

Fujifilm has one on sale at Wal-Mart, 4mp, with memory card, case, mini
tripod, etc. Good price, nice little camera. Look at it he
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4172372

Sir Rodney Smithers

Wow, I was surprised, for an entry level point and shot, this inexpensive
camera got good reviews. The only problem people had with it was it was
very poor quality at night.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
I am trying to find a camera for my college age daughter.

I want the best combination of compact size and quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cameras I should look at?

Does anyone have any experience with the Canon PowerShot A610 Digital
Camera?

Fujifilm has one on sale at Wal-Mart, 4mp, with memory card, case, mini
tripod, etc. Good price, nice little camera. Look at it he
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4172372

John H.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:53:56 -0500, "Sir Rodney Smithers" Ask me about my
knighthood. wrote:

Tom,
Thanks a lot. It seems to have a great price compared to the other DSLR.

.. .
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:04:28 -0500, "Sir Rodney Smithers" Ask me
about my knighthood. wrote:

Before you go to hell though, can you check out this combo pack and let me
know what you think.

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...?prodid=362726

Glad I could help. :)

That's an excellent package, although I would spend the extra money
and obtain a 1 gig flash memory - you will kill that 256 in nothing
flat - I don't mean "kill" as in "broke" but kill as in limited
memory. The 1 gig card is a big help.

The latest firmware upgrade for the E-300 has really taken great
performance and made it better.

If you do decide to obtain this camera package, email me and I'll give
you some operating tips for the camera that I came about the hard way.

Good luck.

Tom

Be sure you are getting a USA camera and not a 'gray market' import. The
gray market stuff may not come with the factory warranty.

I'd still go with the Nikon D70s. Or, the D50.

DSLR is the only way to go if she is semi serious about photography.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, beautiful bride, it's only a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
John H.

On 21 Nov 2005 11:25:44 -0800, wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
I am trying to find a camera for my college age daughter.

I want the best combination of compact size and quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cameras I should look at?

Does anyone have any experience with the Canon PowerShot A610 Digital
Camera?

Fujifilm has one on sale at Wal-Mart, 4mp, with memory card, case, mini
tripod, etc. Good price, nice little camera. Look at it he
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4172372

Harry, you should jump right on that! I thought you folks were down on WM?
I guess the truth will out, huh?

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
Wow, I was surprised, for an entry level point and shot, this inexpensive
camera got good reviews. The only problem people had with it was it was
very poor quality at night.

Well, the built in flash, as is typical of most built in flashes in
digital cameras, isn't that great. But, you can slow the shutter speed
down in flash mode enough to make decent night shots. For the price,
it's actually a really cool little camera, has LOTS of features that
more expensive cameras don't have, can take video. I've bought a 1GB
card for it, and can take 90 minutes of good quality video with it, or
hold hundreds of pictures.

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
I am trying to find a camera for my college age daughter.

I want the best combination of compact size and quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cameras I should look at?

Does anyone have any experience with the Canon PowerShot A610 Digital
Camera?

Fujifilm has one on sale at Wal-Mart, 4mp, with memory card, case, mini
tripod, etc. Good price, nice little camera. Look at it he
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4172372

Harry, you should jump right on that! I thought you folks were down on WM?
I guess the truth will out, huh?
--
John H

The truth? Your alcohol addled brain is making you think things that
just aren't correct once more. Please show where I EVER said I was
"down on WM", or made any suggestion that I was.

Harry Krause wrote:
wrote:

Well, the built in flash, as is typical of most built in flashes in
digital cameras, isn't that great. But, you can slow the shutter speed
down in flash mode enough to make decent night shots. For the price,
it's actually a really cool little camera, has LOTS of features that
more expensive cameras don't have, can take video. I've bought a 1GB
card for it, and can take 90 minutes of good quality video with it, or
hold hundreds of pictures.

Learning to use flash properly is one of the major challenges in general
photography. The built-in flash on most cameras, not just the less
expensive digitals or film units, isn't very powerful, and tends to
light up only the center portion of what you're shooting, and that not
very well. Also, the small built-in flash units really have no punch;
they cannot reach out any significant distance to light up a subject or
a scene.

I've been told by professionals that I shoot "damned good portraits" of
people. Well, they're ok, but I have a secret. When I want a good head
and shoulders of a subject, I take that person outdoors in flattering
natural light. You can't always do this, of course, but I try.

--
War is not pro-life.

Absolutely true. Even with film photography, as far as flash goes, you
get what you pay for. It would be nice if more lower end digital units
had a hot shoe so you could use the sync flash that you wanted.

John H.

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:44:07 -0500, Harry Krause

[...]

The SB800 packs some punch!
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, beautiful bride, it's only a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
John H.

On 22 Nov 2005 05:39:51 -0800, wrote:

John H. wrote:
On 21 Nov 2005 11:25:44 -0800,
wrote:

Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
I am trying to find a camera for my college age daughter.

I want the best combination of compact size and quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cameras I should look at?

Does anyone have any experience with the Canon PowerShot A610 Digital
Camera?

Fujifilm has one on sale at Wal-Mart, 4mp, with memory card, case, mini
tripod, etc. Good price, nice little camera. Look at it he
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4172372

Harry, you should jump right on that! I thought you folks were down on WM?
I guess the truth will out, huh?
--
John H

The truth? Your alcohol addled brain is making you think things that
just aren't correct once more. Please show where I EVER said I was
"down on WM", or made any suggestion that I was.

Well, tell us what's good about Wal-Mart! Say it loud enough for Harry to
hear.

OT Digital camera Scotty ASA 44 December 18th 06 08:35 PM
OT Digital camera Thom Stewart ASA 10 November 9th 05 01:13 AM