Default fixing up an old johnson

wrote:

: The headphones like flusher probably won't work.
: My dad had an old 90 HP Johnson and it had the water intake just above
: the prop, in front of the "exhaust tail". He needed a flushing attachment
: like this:
http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...ml/page217.htm

: barry

I'd better clarify.... sorry for another post. The flusher is the metal
plate type flusher TEM380010 (although I'd check the part number to make
sure it's a plate type flusher as I've seen this P/N other places on
the web as a muff-type flusher).

the way it's used is it's place *underneath* the cavitation plate. There's
neoprene on the opposite side. The hose tube/fitting tails off the exhaust
snout that is on the bottom of the cavitation plate so the hose
is directed away from the prop. The two metal brackets are secured to
the plate flusher and have carriage bolts on them and wingnuts on the
opposite end. The plate is pressed against the water intake screen
on the bottom of the cavitaion plate and located against the exhaust
snout. The two metal "arms" are swung abound and clamped on the *top*
of the cavitation plate, securing it.

barry

Boots

if you run it in a tank, don't run it too long as the water
will get hot and over heat the engine unless you let a
garden hose run while you are testing it.
roups.com.

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...e/html/page217.
[...]

Blazer Fan Dan wrote:
How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

Depends on which engine?
If it's the Super Seahorse 75 or similar type B lower unit. There was a
special flush adapter made, that secures to the cavitation plate. Not
sure where you might find one today. Might try some old time outboard
mechanics or maybe E-Bay. I still need mine to work on the 62 Gale.

Found 1

TEMPO MOTOR FLUSHER
$27.49
TEM380010
Tempo offers a full line of Motor Flushers - for almost every engine..
Flush away sand, silt, salt and other contaminant's to prevent clogging
and corrosion. FOR OMC/CHRYSLER/WARDS SEA KING

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...l/page217.html
(P.S. I stumbled across this site and have no knowledge good or bad
about it.)

Johnson 28 hp fuel pump Shorty General 1 October 15th 05 10:48 PM
halyard fixing system for 14' catamaran with jib? imagineero Cruising 14 October 15th 05 05:03 PM
Johnson 1957 3hp ena General 2 October 15th 05 08:35 AM
90 hp johnson outboard Charlie Brown General 10 October 8th 05 12:00 AM
FUEL MIXTURE - 1988 JOHNSON 6 gary Cruising 0 October 6th 05 12:22 AM