Default Need Info on Buying Outboard Motor from eBay

I would like to know people experience in buying an outboard motor from
eBay. I have previously bought some stuff from eBay; but those are
inexpenisve items. What I want to know a

- How do we check the motor without seeing it?

- Can we remotely hire a mechanic to check the motor
for us?

- Is there any recourse if the motor is a lemon?

- How do they handle repair under warranty? I doubt
that the vendor can provide any warranty especially
if they are far away; I ask anyway.

- How much is the shipping cost for a 300-lb 115HP
outboard motor anyway? I am afraid that the shipping
cost will eat up all the saving that I may be able
to get from buying from eBay.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to know people experience in buying an outboard motor from
eBay. I have previously bought some stuff from eBay; but those are
inexpenisve items. What I want to know a

Before doing that, consider this. Let's say it's a gorgeous weekend, you're
all cranked up to be on the boat, your girlfriend or wife says she really
wants to have sex in the boat under the stars, and the food & beer are all
packed up. The motor doesn't start. You take it to the dealer who handles
warranty for your motor. Like most shops, they're swamped during the best
part of the boating season. But, if they're like my dealer, they might move
you ahead of other repairs if you bought the motor there. They might even
fix it at 4:45 PM on a Saturday, when they really wanted to go home at 5:00
(something mine did for me once).

Do you think you have any leverage at all if you didn't buy it there? How
will the e-bay savings look to you at that moment?

John

The important thing is your woman is going to leave you for a guy with
a more reliable engine. Good point there Doug. I'm sure I'll get laid
more if I have a new engine. But then again, I'm married, so it isn't
like I could get laid any less.

John

wrote:
I would like to know people experience in buying an outboard motor from
eBay. I have previously bought some stuff from eBay; but those are
inexpenisve items. What I want to know a

- How do we check the motor without seeing it?

- Can we remotely hire a mechanic to check the motor
for us?

- Is there any recourse if the motor is a lemon?

- How do they handle repair under warranty? I doubt
that the vendor can provide any warranty especially
if they are far away; I ask anyway.

- How much is the shipping cost for a 300-lb 115HP
outboard motor anyway? I am afraid that the shipping
cost will eat up all the saving that I may be able
to get from buying from eBay.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Is this a new motor, or used?

You couldn't run fast enough to catch me and make me buy a used motor
or engine of any kind sight unseen over the internet. But that's just
me.
I also don't think it's fun to go to Vegas and play blackjack against
the pros for $500 a hand.

If new, why not take the price of the motor, add a reasonable amount
for shipping, and approach a local dealer and say "I can buy this 115
HP Spudchurner for $3500 over the internet, and it will cost me $250 to
ship it. You price is $4100. Tell you what, though, see if you can
match the $3750 it would cost me to buy this somewhere else and ship it
in, and if you can I'm ready to write you a check right now."

Even he all he can or will do is come close, there is an absolute value
to being a customer of the local dealership instead of "that cheap
arsed SOB who ran off to the internet to save $100". Your local shop
may indeed service an internet motor under warranty, immediately after
they have addressed the service needs of each and all of their own
customers.

Doug Kanter

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
The important thing is your woman is going to leave you for a guy with
a more reliable engine. Good point there Doug. I'm sure I'll get laid
more if I have a new engine. But then again, I'm married, so it isn't
like I could get laid any less.

John

Rope, John. The secret is rope. Tell her that you think you both need to
know how to tie more knots, for BOATING SAFETY reasons. You never know when
you'll need to dock someplace with no cleats, so you have to know how to tie
to post-shaped things. Small tree, wrist, ankle, it's all the same. Practice
at home.

Don White

Doug Kanter wrote:
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

The important thing is your woman is going to leave you for a guy with
a more reliable engine. Good point there Doug. I'm sure I'll get laid
more if I have a new engine. But then again, I'm married, so it isn't
like I could get laid any less.

John

Rope, John. The secret is rope. Tell her that you think you both need to
know how to tie more knots, for BOATING SAFETY reasons. You never know when
you'll need to dock someplace with no cleats, so you have to know how to tie
to post-shaped things. Small tree, wrist, ankle, it's all the same. Practice
at home.

When taking my Piloting course at the CPS...I made up a little portable
'knot station' to practice on.
It had a cleat, a ring, a pole you could slip a line over and a pole you
had to tie to the middle of. The instructor got a kick out of it when I
brought it in to demonstrate my knot requirement.

Thanks for everyone who has replied.

Seem like buying a marine motor from internet doesn't make much sense
if the vendor is not within driving distance.

Jay Chan