Ron M.

Default Our signal to noise ratio sucks.......

Believe it or not, I'm still around. I still cruise through rec.boats
now and then, but not on a daily or even weekly basis like I used to.
I'm saddened not only by what's happened to rec.boats, but USENET in
general, which used to be such a wonderful place where you could find
knowledgeable conversation on virtually any topic.

Of course, back then (mid-late-80s), USENET was populated by professors
and grad students, and hardly anybody else. Off-topic posts were
virtually non-existent, and "advertising on the internet" was unheard
of, except in a few scattered .forsale groups.

Now it's just overrun with loonies, like the famous Jerry Howe, who has
destroyed rec.pets.dogs.behavior, which is *supposed* to be a group on
dog training. Skipper's another one. While he has yet, after all
these years, to make one single post to rec.boats indicating that he
even knows what a boat *is*, he floods the group with his silly, trite
little verbal spitballs. I mean, this guy actually *hunts* for
boating-related threads to destroy with stupid, off-topic insults and
feeble attempts to sound cute. And he has succeeded.

Harry Krause does indeed post OT more than he should, but he's
basically going with a pre-existing flow in that respect. But the
difference between Harry and Skipper is that Harry is a seasoned,
boating veteran who DOES know boats, and is always jumps in to
participate in boat-related discussions in a focused, knowledgeable
manner.

Skipper, however, knows utterly NOTHING about boats, NEVER posts about
boats, and can't stand the embarrassment of everybody talking about
something he knows nothing about, so whenever we try to talk about
boats, he jumps in a sabotages the thread. Idiot.

Ron M.

Bryan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody else notice that OT threads are running at a multiple of about
4 times the on-topic threads?

That's without even beginning to consider the posts.

"Liberals are Faggots" or "Bush is Retarded" threads often get over 100
posts, while most boating related items are over and out with 3-6
one, (off-topic to on).

Don't know what to do, or if anything should or could be done. Not
saying I haven't contributed to the noise myself.

But in case nobody else has noticed, as a group I think we're the worst
we have ever been. And that's no small accomplishment, considering
history. :-(

I've noticed that 3 of my most useful and informative ng's share the same
problem: a very high noise to signal ratio.
I've also noticed that all 3 groups offer excellent responses to all on
topic posts.
If the ability to post OT is what keeps the folks around that can be most
helpful to on topic posters, I can't complain about that.
My only regret is that the noise component is so unfriendly; but I suspect
even that is attributable to very few ng members and not to the majority.

Smith Smithers

Chuck,
I do use my boat as a floating condo, but I never stay on the dock. I find
a secluded cove, to anchor or raft up with friends. I also find the boat to
be a great aphrodisiac. Something about moving up and down with the boat.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Smith Smithers wrote:
Chuck,
How do you know the most prolific posters are not boaters? Who in
rec.boats
is not a boater? The only person I know who sold his boat was JimH, and
even when he didn't own a boat, he was still a boater. Since JimH has
purchased a new runabout, he not only is a boater, but he is a boat
owner.
I know many CGAUX members who don't own boats, but they are definitely
boaters.

Harry is definitely one of the most prolific posters, but I for one
believe
he owns a nice Parker. He may not use it much, but I really think he
owns
one.

Just because he fabricated a story about a Zimmerman style Lobster Boat
does
not mean he is not a boater.

You use your boat as a "floating condo", an indication that it seldom
if ever leaves the dock. You can be a boat owner, without being a
boater.
Some of these guys may have some little aluminum row boat slowly being
engulfed by the berry vines out behind the woodshed- sorry, but they're
not boaters either.

Here's a good clue to sleuth out the non-boaters: Look for a group of
people who virtually never participate in a boating thread regardless
of content, or, when they do participate, do so by waiting for somebody
of the "incorrect" political spectrum to make a comment and then change
the header and respond with personal attack and political opinion. If
you can't spot that behavior here, you'd need Lasik to compete with Mr.
Magoo.

Don White

Smith Smithers wrote:
Chuck,
snip...

I also find the boat to be a great aphrodisiac. Something about moving
up and
down with the boat.

Well, I guess when you need help, you take it anywhere you can.
Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

Smith Smithers wrote:

Chuck,
snip...

I also find the boat to be a great aphrodisiac. Something about
moving up and
down with the boat.

Well, I guess when you need help, you take it anywhere you can.

Smithers has sex with his boat?

Wow.

I wouldn't want to say that......
When we were kids I think it was considered 'dry humping'.
(not so dry for your undies though...)

Skipper

--
Skipper
Skipper

Gene Kearns wrote:

If you have no intention of posting boating information.... is there
*ANY* reason to come here at all...... unless you just enjoy posting
flames?

http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Since when did this become a boating forum? I thought it was a shill
site for Lee Yeaton's bayguide.

--
Skipper

?

I call things as they are, Gould. Not a bad habit for a real boater.
You, are a poseur and a charlatan.

--
Skipper

I think we agree. If you hold yourself up as an example of a "real
boater", I would be quick to agree that whatever it is you are, I am
indeed something else. Thank heavens.

Dene

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody else notice that OT threads are running at a multiple of about
4 times the on-topic threads?

snip

Not saying I haven't contributed to the noise myself.

Yep.

Lead by example Chuck.

Until then, stop the whining.

It's not my job to lead.
It's a comment, not a whine.
There is almost *no* boating content in the NG, at all.
At least you and I have boats and therefore have some opportunity to
discuss same. As you know, some of the most prolific posters here are
not boaters and are simply here to troll.

I'm new but your observations are dead on. I'm subscribed to
rec.boats.cruising and there is virtually no OT or flame wars going on.

BTW Chuck, read your magazine last night. Very impressed. Meant to read it
before I went to sleep. Had the opposite effect. Enjoyed your narrative
and pictures of the cruise-to-the-wilderness trek.

-Greg

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:05:05 -0500, Skipper wrote:

That is because too many poseurs will be waiting to **** on those good
words. Do you REALLY believe I can issue an on-topic post without it
being flamed.

Uh... Live by the sword, Die by the sword?

Worse yet, skewer yourself on your own darn sword while attempting to
attack others. It's so pathetic one would be inclined to sympathetic
with such a loser, if he weren't so intent on making sure everybody in
sight hated his guts.