Default Our signal to noise ratio sucks.......

Smith Smithers wrote:
Chuck,
How do you know the most prolific posters are not boaters? Who in rec.boats
is not a boater? The only person I know who sold his boat was JimH, and
even when he didn't own a boat, he was still a boater. Since JimH has
purchased a new runabout, he not only is a boater, but he is a boat owner.
I know many CGAUX members who don't own boats, but they are definitely
boaters.

Harry is definitely one of the most prolific posters, but I for one believe
he owns a nice Parker. He may not use it much, but I really think he owns
one.

Just because he fabricated a story about a Zimmerman style Lobster Boat does
not mean he is not a boater.

You use your boat as a "floating condo", an indication that it seldom
if ever leaves the dock. You can be a boat owner, without being a
boater.
Some of these guys may have some little aluminum row boat slowly being
engulfed by the berry vines out behind the woodshed- sorry, but they're
not boaters either.

Here's a good clue to sleuth out the non-boaters: Look for a group of
people who virtually never participate in a boating thread regardless
of content, or, when they do participate, do so by waiting for somebody
of the "incorrect" political spectrum to make a comment and then change
the header and respond with personal attack and political opinion. If
you can't spot that behavior here, you'd need Lasik to compete with Mr.
Magoo.

Chuck, why don't you call Skipper by his name?

You really are a punk and a bully.

Hate to break this to you, Bert, but his name isn't "Skipper."
If he doesn't choose to use his name in the NG, why should I?

Smith Smithers wrote:
Chuck,
For years, whenever someone mentioned the signal to noise ratio in
rec.boats, you chided them to start on topic posts. You would always
comment that the OT posts concerning OT posts just added to the signal to
noise ratio. You also chided these people not to expect the regulars in
rec.boats to entertain them, that is was their responsibility to make on
topic posts.

Harry is positively the worst offender for starting OT threads. Harry's
only purpose in coming to rec.boats is to troll for OT political threads and
he prides himself in being very effective in his OT trolls. As long as he
is regular to rec.boats, I can promise you there will not be any change in
the tone of rec.boats.

I continue to believe that starting on-topic threads is the answer. I
start as many on-topic threads as anybody, far more than some. The
unheard of screen name who
jumps in with, "What the hell is wrong with you guys? I've been
watching this NG for two weeks, trying to figure out how to rebuild the
pump on my manual marine toilet and all I see are personal feuds,
political arguments, and OT crap."

Harry sets the tone in the Newsgroup only because he has attracted a
group of
emotionally needy folks who *must* engage Harry every day and *must*
respond to each and every one of his trolls with venom and spite. I'm
sure Harry gets quite the kick out of manipulating people as skillfully
as he does, and probably laughs his butt off as he realizes that his
detractors are doing exactly what he needs and expects them to do in
response to his calculated
stimuli. If the anti-Krause crowd hates Harry so badly, why do they
allow themselves to be completely controlled by him?

Responding to Harry with malice and disdain is like trying to douse a
fire with a bucket of gasoline. But you know that- surely you must- as
do the people who are co-dependent on his trolling.

Sal's Dad

My approach to filtering is, when I see a "New" OT post, I usually block
that sender. But I don't think I've done that, in months!

In the last week, I have received only 7 "New" OT posts. 2 from Chuck, and,
(regrettably) 1 from Lloyd. Shame on you, Lloyd! However there have been
plenty of "OT:" responses to all the OT morons, most from boaters who
should know better than to take the bait. If only there were a way to
filter out all threads that were _initiated_ by a person...

By the way, what ever happened to that Harry blowhard?

Happy boating
Sal's Dad

-- "Falky foo" wrote
filter filter filter

Skipper

Gene Kearns wrote:

Calling a spade a spade, this NG is history due to OT abuse by Harry
Krause and his Looney Left buds. They turned this once great NG into the
political and personal attack slime pit it has become. I count YOU as
one of the worst offenders, Chuck Gould. You could have done better.

It ain't going back to what it once was. Stop your pompous bitchin' and
get with the program.

So..... you have the opportunity to be part of the problem or part of
the solution. Are you going to continue complaining about the "loony
left" or ignore the politics and talk boats.

There ain't no solution. This NG as a source for boaters to share info
and engage in 'docktalk' is history. Too many participants here for the
sole purpose of participating in the competitive game playing. Post a
cruising story or proudly of your boat and it will be torn apart...or,
at best, you'll be called a liar. Why even go there? This NG is what it
is.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time you addressed a
poster concerning a boating topic.

That is because too many poseurs will be waiting to **** on those good
words. Do you REALLY believe I can issue an on-topic post without it
being flamed.

Do you still have the Bayliner? Or what did you replace it with? Do
you have *any* recent boating stories to share?

Have many great boating adventures to share. Unfortunately, this is no
longer a proper forum for such sharing. Thought about posting to
rec.boats.cruising...but the usual suspects would only pollute that fine
NG with their bile.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Bert Robbins wrote:

Chuck, why don't you call Skipper by his name?

You really are a punk and a bully.

I'd just simply tag him a charlatan with a used car salesman's heart. We
all saw his real boating knowledge in that West Coast cruising
discussion...or should we say, lack of knowledge.

--
Skipper
*JimH*

"Skipper" wrote in message
Bert Robbins wrote:

Chuck, why don't you call Skipper by his name?

You really are a punk and a bully.

I'd just simply tag him a charlatan with a used car salesman's heart. We
all saw his real boating knowledge in that West Coast cruising
discussion...or should we say, lack of knowledge.

--
Skipper

Skipper, your game is getting old.

Drop it already or leave.