Paul

Default Common courtesy?

I wanted to relate a story that happened during our cruise yesterday and get
some feedback from you all.

We were cruising in the Thousand Islands, crawling along at about 7 knots
and not too far from shore.

From behind us came three big cruisers, each around 30', making about 20+
knots it seemed. They passed us close on the port side, maybe 200'. They
were lined up one directly behind the other and they were close enough
together that all three had passed before the wakes reached us.

The wakes hit us hard, tossing us about so when the way was clear I turned
into them. Although I saw it all coming, I couldn't turn directly into them
right away because there was other traffic to consider, however I was the
only one taking it directly on the beam.

I believe that one boat's wake might not have been too bad but all three in
a row like that made it quite uncomfortable, borderline scary. Anything
smaller than us (I'm 30'), or especially a pontoon boat would have been in
some amount of danger I think. Once we had ridden out the wakes I returned
to my course.

I understand they may not have wanted to go to the trouble of powering back
especially since they were trimmed for flight. But there was a whole lot
more room that they could have used.

So I'm not sure how I should think about this. Should they be considering
the impact they may be causing and make efforts to minimize that?

Or is it every man for himself out there?

The one thing I will do differently should this situation crop up again is
immediately adjust course to take the wakes on the bow.Even though it would
have required a number of course adjustments from the other boats in the
area -- and possibly caused some confusion -- they'll just have to
understand that I didn't "start" this whole thing.

A little earlier that day, on the downstream leg of our cruise I was on
plane making about 28 knots and made a wide course adjustment to keep me
well clear of an anchored dive boat. While it seemed a large, seaworthy
craft I imagined (probably correctly) that they didn't really need to be
turned into a rocking chair and I also had a lot of water to maneuver so I
figured it was the right thing to do.

Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated, I have a lot to learn.

Tuuk

Yes, when your in international waters like that, that is part of the St.
Lawrence Seaway so there are even larger ships navigating through there. I
think it may be the "every man for themselves theory". Basically it is also
the largest ship rule, you have to see them coming and take precautions.

"Paul" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I wanted to relate a story that happened during our cruise yesterday and

get
some feedback from you all.

We were cruising in the Thousand Islands, crawling along at about 7 knots
and not too far from shore.

From behind us came three big cruisers, each around 30', making about 20+
[...]

Doug Kanter

33 years of driving has taught me that 90% of automobile drivers fall into
one or more of these categories:

1) Dead. Actually, really dead. Nobody's bothered to remove them from the
car.

2) Drunk, regardless of the time of day.

3) Completely distracted by one thing or another

4) Blind, according to any legal or medical definition

5) Stupid - too stupid to operate a toaster, much less a car.

There's no reason to believe that boaters are any different, and the horror
stories in this newsgroup are proof of the theory.

Paul

That dive boat you passed at 28 knots?
Even though you steered well clear of it, all that really accomplished was

increase the time between your passing and the
moment the dive boat began to rock as a result.

Oops, no. A boat wake will dissipate over distance.

Your math on the 2-3 foot waves failed to mention the period and the energy.
As I'm sure you're aware, 2 foot waves can be barely noticed or be quite an
event depending on the period. The energy would also be an important factor.
Wave height alone is insufficient information upon which to base a
conclusion.

I had to take marks off for that, otherwise a good effort. B-

Gould 0738

Oops, no. A boat wake will dissipate over distance.

Agreed, but how far away would a boat (of unknown displacement and running
characteristics) travelling 28 knots need to pass a stationary vessel in order
to avoid
"rocking" it at all? We don't know what the characteristics of the poster's
boat might be, but in many cases the answer would be " well over a mile."

Your math on the 2-3 foot waves failed to mention the period and the energy.
As I'm sure you're aware, 2 foot waves can be barely noticed or be quite an
event depending on the period. The energy would also be an important factor.
Wave height alone is insufficient information upon which to base a
conclusion.

I'd be interested to hear you theory about how one 2-foot wave differs in
energy content from the next, on the same body of water and if wind and current
are the same.

As far as period goes, it's hard to imagine wakes stacking up any denser than
the short vertical chop, (crests merely a few feet apart), that accumulates in
many inland waterways and harbors. Wakes generated by boats running an
identical course in close proximity and a common speed will all approach a
fixed point at
a similar angle.

The situation described isn't as tough as
some. Try dealing with a wake from a monster container ship that passed maybe
1/2 mile away coming from one angle, and
a wall of water generated by an over-powered, underbrained, sportfisherman
passing far too close abeam from another. Sometimes maneuerving to take one
wake properly leaves you badly exposed to the other. :-)

I had to take marks off for that, otherwise a good effort. B-

Rural Knight

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:01:11 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

Snips
We've all been there - the bigger boats have the same rights to
the water as you do - as long as they weren't violating any rules
or regulations, you just have to deal with it.

Along with the bigger boats come bigger slips, bigger fuel bills, and
bigger responsibilities. Virtually every state has (due to boater
discourtesy) enacted laws governing responsibility for one's wake. It
is MUCH easier to violate these laws with a 40+ footer than a 14-
footer....

Good point - well taken.

Later,

Tom

Rural Knight

wrote:

Snips
We've all been there - the bigger boats have the same rights to
the water as you do - as long as they weren't violating any rules
or regulations, you just have to deal with it.

Along with the bigger boats come bigger slips, bigger fuel bills, and
bigger responsibilities. Virtually every state has (due to boater
discourtesy) enacted laws governing responsibility for one's wake. It
is MUCH easier to violate these laws with a 40+ footer than a 14-
footer....

I actually stopped a jetskier in Rockhold Creek Sunday. The speed limit
is 6 mph, and it is a no-wake zone. He was zipping along and making a
small, but highly visible wake as he came towards me.

I waved him down, and he came alongside. I asked if he knew about the
speed limit and the no-wake zone.

He said, "I didn't think it applied to jetskis."

I assured the fellow it did.

A couple of weeks ago, I was up at Webster Lake and there
were some guys goofing around with a PWC right off the launch
ramp making waves, pulling donuts, etc. There's a BIG sign
at the ramp with the posted regulations - no wake area and
no donuts in the cove.

I called up to the Police Station (right at the end of the beach
road as it happens) because I wanted to launch my Ranger
and these guys weren't cutting me any slack.

Cop shows up, calls one guy over - speaks with a Russian
accent. Cop says no PWC riding within 100 feet, no wake
and no donuts in the cove. Russian guy looks the cop eight
in the eye and says "No PWC - Is jetski!!!"

I cracked up - couldn't stop laughing.

Finally the cop, who was laughing as well, explained the
situation to him and they took with good grace. For my
part, I made a wake for them to jump in the lower pond
of the lake and everybody was happy.

Jetski - what a clown...

Later,

Tom

Wayne.B

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:01:11 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:
believe me, once you
get used to "checking your six", it becomes second nature and
saves a lot of grief.

Just curious, what does "checking your six" mean, and where does the
expression come from?

Rural Knight

wrote:
believe me, once you
get used to "checking your six", it becomes second nature and
saves a lot of grief.

Just curious, what does "checking your six" mean, and where does the
expression come from?

It's an expression related to combat (and other things) and
means to check behind you. Think of the face of a clock -
twelve would be high or in front (depending on plane), six
below or behind (depending on plane), etc.

It's a way to orient yourself in free space.

Later,

Tom

Larry Kier

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
From behind us came three big cruisers, each around 30', making about 20+
knots it seemed. They passed us close on the port side, maybe 200'. They
were lined up one directly behind the other and they were close enough
together that all three had passed before the wakes reached us.

First, a few clarifications.

1. 30 feet is not a "big cruiser". At 20 knots, the boats should have been

well
up on plane and creating perhaps a 2-foot wake, certainly under 3-feet at

the
most.

Unless they were Bayliner Motoryachts! I have never seen such large wakes
form boats of this size (30-40 ft). There are other culprits of course ,
but the Bayliners are bad...they seem to plow through the water and never
really come on plane! And no.. this is NOT a troll!

Larry