PocoLoco

Default And the winner of the most ridiculous and overpriced boat award is.............

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:09:52 -0400, " *JimH*" wrote:

..........Crownline, for building a 31.5 foot *Bowrider*!

http://www.crownline.com/models04/mo...p?id=316_ls_05

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/2.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/3.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/4.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/5.jpg

A 31.5 foot bowrider? What the hell were these folks thinking?

I couldn't find any rod holders. Boo.

--
John H

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

Ronald Reagan

*JimH* wrote:
..........Crownline, for building a 31.5 foot *Bowrider*!

http://www.crownline.com/models04/mo...p?id=316_ls_05

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/2.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/3.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/4.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models05/bo...16ls/big/5.jpg

A 31.5 foot bowrider? What the hell were these folks thinking?

Let me give you a hand interpreting the data you've discovered.

First, it doesn't matter what the nominal length appears to be based on
the model number ("316 LS"), you need to check the actual LOA.

That brings us down to 30-feet.

Then you need to actually evaluate how the boat is configured.
In this case, that 30 foot LOA includes an extended swim step of rather
exaggerated size. It appears to be at least 32", maybe even a 45-48"
swim step.

Looks like Crownline is offering about a 26-foot bowrider with an extra
large swim step (some people might find that rather handy, depending on
application) that stretches the boat to 30 feet LOA. No doubt they'll
catch a few folks who think the boat is over 31 feet long based on the
model number, or who don't take the time to evaluate the design as they
look at the boat.

Bowriders are fine for inland lakes during settled weather; and that
describes the conditions under which about 90% of boaters use a boat.

BTW, Crownline is building a pretty decent boat these days. They have
two very elite "C" brands glancing nervously back over their corportae
shoulders.

*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Yep. I was mistaken. From their website: LOA 30' yet marketed as a 31.5
footer. Sorry, I missed it by 1'6".

So it boils down to 30 foot bowrider with a bunch of wasted space, all for
$130,000.

How attractive it that?

Bowriders are fine for inland lakes during settled weather; and that
describes the conditions under which about 90% of boaters use a boat.

Bull. And you never addressed the hazards of a bowrider on open water in
unexpected rough weather or encountering rogue waves from other boats.

If bowriders are so great why don't you own one Chuck?

BTW, Crownline is building a pretty decent boat these days. They have
two very elite "C" brands glancing nervously back over their corportae
shoulders.

I never said anything to the contrary.

My problem was with a company marketing a 30~31 foot bowrider.

Dan Krueger

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:

[...]

*Jim*, you might want to take another vacation. I don't think Chuck was
arguing with you.

He *did* address the use of a bowrider in "open water", etc. by simply
saying "Bowriders are fine for inland lakes during settled weather".

Why are you picking a fight here?

Dan

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Because I don't boat on inland lakes during settled weather?

I have yet to see a boat generate a rogue wave. Must be a Great Lakes
thing.

BTW, Crownline is building a pretty decent boat these days. They have
two very elite "C" brands glancing nervously back over their corportae
shoulders.

I never said anything to the contrary.

My problem was with a company marketing a 30~31 foot bowrider.

And my point was that if you examine what you're being shown, it's
really a 26-foot boat with an oversized swimstep.

*JimH*

wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Rogue or not, I guess you missed the recent tourist boat tragedy in NY.

*JimH*

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:

[...]

You are correct.

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Not at all. Out west here, boaters refer to such events as "wakes", not
rogue waves. The tourist boat tragedy in NY could have been prevented
if the boat were properly staffed. (The owner was trying to get by
cheap and not hire the two crew members the CG required him to have).
With two additional crew members, the skipper would have been more
likely to maintain adequate "situational awareness" and adjust course
so that he didn't take that huge wake directly on the beam. If nothing
else, the port or starboard watch could say, "You do see that huge wake
approacing, right?"

*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

I will accept your terminology.

That does not, however, dismiss the possibility of such an event. Do you
disagree Chuck?

Doug Kanter

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...
Thought you just bought a bowrider and use it in the great lakes? Aren't
you up there in the great white north as we southerners call it?

"

Nope. Mine is a cuddy.

Not that I don't agree about a bowrider and waves, a bow rider is a fair
weather boat only. When the waves are so bad that I'm worried about
taking them over the bow then I'm not boating.

Neither am I....but sometimes storms happen unexpectedly as can rogue
waves from passing boats. If you bury the bow or take a couple of waves
into the bow with a bowrider you better start praying. ;-)

Actually, you should stop boating, drinking, and imagining yourself to be
old enough to leave the house without an adult.