BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT. Harriet Meirs for supreme court (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/61077-ot-harriet-meirs-supreme-court.html)

Jim Carter October 3rd 05 12:15 PM

OT. Harriet Meirs for supreme court

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the Supreme
Court.

Jim

Jim Carter October 3rd 05 12:22 PM

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
Bush has announced that Harriet Miers is the newest member of the Supreme
Court.

Jim

OOPS......that's Harriet Miers not Meirs.......My Bad..

thunder October 3rd 05 01:07 PM

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 07:15:16 -0400, Jim Carter wrote:

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the Supreme
Court.

Roberts seems quite competent and experienced, but Miers? She once said,
the President was the most brilliant man she had ever met. I think she
should get out a little more. ;-)

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/10/03/...mate-loyalist/

Doug Kanter October 3rd 05 01:12 PM

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 07:15:16 -0400, "Jim Carter"
wrote:

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the Supreme
Court.

From what I know, it's a good choice - mathematician and lawyer.

About damn time we had somebody who can actually think on the Supreme
Court.

Next, the White House.

Doug Kanter October 3rd 05 02:39 PM

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:12:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
wrote:

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the
Supreme
Court.

From what I know, it's a good choice - mathematician and lawyer.

About damn time we had somebody who can actually think on the Supreme
Court.

Next, the White House.

Sadly, there appears to be a dearth of capable politicians who can
actually think who are potential Presidents - Republican or Democrat.

If you were king of the world (outside of your own boat), who would you
pick, if you could install a president here? I'm thinking George Carlin.

Doug Kanter October 3rd 05 02:54 PM

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:39:50 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:12:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...
wrote:

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the
Supreme
Court.

From what I know, it's a good choice - mathematician and lawyer.

About damn time we had somebody who can actually think on the Supreme
Court.

Next, the White House.

Sadly, there appears to be a dearth of capable politicians who can
actually think who are potential Presidents - Republican or Democrat.

If you were king of the world (outside of your own boat), who would you
pick, if you could install a president here? I'm thinking George Carlin.

Me.

Do you think you're enough of a comedian to deal with Congress?

Don White October 3rd 05 03:24 PM

wrote:

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the
Supreme
Court.

From what I know, it's a good choice - mathematician and lawyer.

About damn time we had somebody who can actually think on the Supreme
Court.

Next, the White House.

Sadly, there appears to be a dearth of capable politicians who can
actually think who are potential Presidents - Republican or Democrat.

If you were king of the world (outside of your own boat), who would you
pick, if you could install a president here? I'm thinking George Carlin.

Me.

I don't know...judging by the company you keep (various posters in
Wrecked Boats) your judgement may be questionable. ;-)

NOYB October 3rd 05 03:29 PM

wrote:

Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the
Supreme
Court.

From what I know, it's a good choice - mathematician and lawyer.

About damn time we had somebody who can actually think on the Supreme
Court.

Next, the White House.

Sadly, there appears to be a dearth of capable politicians who can
actually think who are potential Presidents - Republican or Democrat.

If you were king of the world (outside of your own boat), who would you
pick, if you could install a president here? I'm thinking George Carlin.

Me.

You need a VP? 'Cause I'm available.

[email protected] October 3rd 05 03:54 PM

Jim Carter wrote:
Bush has announced that Harriet Meirs is the newest member of the Supreme
Court.

Jim

She's not yet a member of the court. Despite the fond wishes of certain
people, this is still a representative government and she will not be a
member of the court until or unless confirmed by congress. The people
run this country, not the POTUS.

Let's hope she's as good a choice as the last one. I don't know
anything about her, but if GWB is hoping to plant an arch-conservative
on the bench
he will run into a lot stiffer fight in congress than the "freebie" he
got with relatively moderate, somewhat centrist Roberts. I'll
personally feel better about the choice when the most extreme righties
begin to gripe she's not "conservative enough" (as they did with the
Chief Justice). :-)

thunder October 3rd 05 04:03 PM

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:29:55 +0000, NOYB wrote:

You need a VP? 'Cause I'm available.

Well, that would end any worry about assassination from the left, anyway. ;-)