ToneJohn

Default Exhaust Flaps Gone & Cleaning Exhaust Pipe from debris, need advice...

On one side of my exhaust pipe the flap was completely burnt off. I
realized that this was from a corroded manifold and elbow, I'm in the
process of replacing them and also the flap. I know that the exhaust pipe
meets/joins together right before the transom, what I also noticed is that
the water when on the earmuffs only expelled from one side of the outdrive.
My thought is that there is debris clogging up one side at the bottom of the
exhaust pipe, does this sound possible? If so, what is the best/easiest way
to clear the debris from the bottom of the exhaust pipe? I have never seen
an exhaust pipe before installation so I'm not sure how big the openings are
at the bottom also where it comes out the outdrive. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

-Matt

JamesgangNC

You don't say anything about what engine or outdrive you have?

On a merc the V engines do connect together at the bottom of the Y pipe.
The two holes on the sides of the outdrive transom plate are relief holes.
It does sound like some of the debris from your manifold and riser got down
there. If you have a V engine you should replace both manifolds and risers
if one side went. While you have them off and the flaps out of the Y pipe
try using a garden hose and spray handle to clear out the relief holes.

"ToneJohn" wrote in message
On one side of my exhaust pipe the flap was completely burnt off. I
realized that this was from a corroded manifold and elbow, I'm in the
process of replacing them and also the flap. I know that the exhaust pipe
meets/joins together right before the transom, what I also noticed is that
the water when on the earmuffs only expelled from one side of the
outdrive. My thought is that there is debris clogging up one side at the
bottom of the exhaust pipe, does this sound possible? If so, what is the
best/easiest way to clear the debris from the bottom of the exhaust pipe?
I have never seen an exhaust pipe before installation so I'm not sure how
big the openings are at the bottom also where it comes out the outdrive.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Matt

PocoLoco

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 19:21:08 -0400, "ToneJohn" wrote:

On one side of my exhaust pipe the flap was completely burnt off. I
realized that this was from a corroded manifold and elbow, I'm in the
process of replacing them and also the flap. I know that the exhaust pipe
meets/joins together right before the transom, what I also noticed is that
the water when on the earmuffs only expelled from one side of the outdrive.
My thought is that there is debris clogging up one side at the bottom of the
exhaust pipe, does this sound possible? If so, what is the best/easiest way
to clear the debris from the bottom of the exhaust pipe? I have never seen
an exhaust pipe before installation so I'm not sure how big the openings are
at the bottom also where it comes out the outdrive. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

-Matt

When the water stopped coming out one side on my boat, the riser on that side
had plugged up. I put new risers and manifolds on the engine, after being towed
in because the exhaust hose got so hot it started burning. Luckily it made only
a tremendous amount of smoke. (Scared the **** out of me and the wife though!)
--
John H

ToneJohn

Yeah i have a mercruiser 5.7 L v8... it has the Y shape at the bottom. Ok i
will blast it with a garden hose now that i have everything apart.. my only
concern is that the debris is too big to come out the bottom, in that case,
suggestions ? ?? ?

THanks again!
ink.net...

"ToneJohn" wrote in message
On one side of my exhaust pipe the flap was completely burnt off. I
realized that this was from a corroded manifold and elbow, I'm in the
process of replacing them and also the flap. I know that the exhaust
pipe meets/joins together right before the transom, what I also noticed
is that the water when on the earmuffs only expelled from one side of the
outdrive. My thought is that there is debris clogging up one side at the
bottom of the exhaust pipe, does this sound possible? If so, what is the
best/easiest way to clear the debris from the bottom of the exhaust pipe?
I have never seen an exhaust pipe before installation so I'm not sure how
big the openings are at the bottom also where it comes out the outdrive.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Matt

JamesgangNC

I guess you could try going the other way. I would expect it to be easy to
break up though as it is usually scale and rust chunks that break off the
inside of the riser and manifold.