John-R W

Default What Size Motor

Both boat and trailer are in fairly good shape. I picked up both boat and
trailer for $200. I felt like the trailer was probably worth that much. Even
if I trash the boat, I can turn the trailer into one for hauling. I know how
to weld, and have access to welding equipment, and all the structural
materials I would ever need to convert it.

I was a bit shocked when I went to Outdoor World and priced some motors. A
175 was going for close to $9,000. I am in hopes of finding a used rebuilt
motor. Like I said, all I want this thing for is to tool around in the out
of the way places to do fishing. If I can't find a good used motor, oh well,
I'll have myself a nice trailer to haul wood for my woodworking stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. ..
John,

You might be able to run with one other person and not much gear with a
100hp, but as soon as you try to take the family and lots of fuel/gear,

you
won't be able to get on plane.

I hope the boat and trailer is in good shape and you love it and it was
close to free because a motor&controls is going to cost $10,000 to

$15,000US
installed.

This is why used boats with big old 2 stroke outboards are not always a

good
deal, even for free?

The good thing is that you already feel like you need a new motor. That's

good start.

Good luck.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
The tag in the back of the boat says 175 hp, and a max. load of 1300

lbs.

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. com...
Hi John,

I think that 80% of max power is OK, but I am one for max power

myself.

What is this boat rated for max HP?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
Hi All,

First time boat owner, so I don't really know too much about them.

I just got a 1988 Falcon Striper Pro boat. Needs some cleaning up,

and
some
work done to it, it also needs a motor and controles. My question is

what
size motor should I consider putting on it.

I plan to just use it for fishing in the local lakes. We are not
interested
in using it to ski or going supper fast. I would like for the motor

have
enough power to get me off the lake quickly in the event of a storm
blowing
up.

I realize the boat is rather old, but I made what I think to be a

pretty
good deal when I bought it, so I don't have a lot of money tied up

in
it
right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
John

Clams Canino

Horsefeathers.

The Merc 99ci inline 90's, 115's, 125's 135s, 140', and 150's all had about
the same torque right out of the hole. Those with the smaller ports fell
off faster on the way up is all.

A good used Merc 115 inline would get that puppy moving just fine. Search
Ebay... they are out there.

-W

"Rural Knight" wrote in message
link.net...
I can agree with that.

Later,

Tom

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
You can get by w/ the 150 but nothing less. The 125/135/140 (depending

on
brand) does not have the torque you will want or need.
The difference in price between the 150 and the 175 is not much and well
worth the extra.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
[...]

John-R W

"noah" wrote in message

B.O.A.T. - "Break Out Another Thousand" )
"Boat", n., - a hole in the water where you throw your money. þ

Good luck,
noah

I am starting to see the truth in your caption.

And yes, slow fishing is all I care to do. I just want something that will
get me off the bank, out to where the fish are. However, I would like to get
the hell off the water if a storm blew up. I just might have me a good $200
trailer.

Thank for your response

noah

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:48:39 GMT, "John-R W"
wrote:

Both boat and trailer are in fairly good shape. I picked up both boat and
trailer for $200. I felt like the trailer was probably worth that much. Even
if I trash the boat, I can turn the trailer into one for hauling. I know how
to weld, and have access to welding equipment, and all the structural
materials I would ever need to convert it.

I was a bit shocked when I went to Outdoor World and priced some motors. A
175 was going for close to $9,000. I am in hopes of finding a used rebuilt
motor. Like I said, all I want this thing for is to tool around in the out
of the way places to do fishing. If I can't find a good used motor, oh well,
I'll have myself a nice trailer to haul wood for my woodworking stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

John- if you're on a tight budget with this boat, you can have some
fun for a lot less than $9,000.00.

A 175 will go like hell, but it will plane with an 80. Check your
local dealers, check the Want-ads. If you are buying used, don't pay
up until you try it, or it is checked by a decent mechanic. You
should be able to put a serviceable engine on that boat for $1,500.00,
or less.

If I had my 'druthers, I'd have an offshore center-console, but I do
just fine, and have a lot of fun, with a yard full of second-handers.
My neighbors first called me "noah", because of all the damned boats
in my yard. I love 'em, and they're fun (the boats, not the neighbors
)

Your engine is out there, you just need to find it.

Good luck,
noah

Hey Clams, you got anything?
Clams Canino

The more you are willing to travel to get a deal, the better off you will
be.

-W (off to DC to get new boat)

"noah" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:55:53 GMT, "John-R W"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .

B.O.A.T. - "Break Out Another Thousand" )
"Boat", n., - a hole in the water where you throw your money. þ

Good luck,
noah

I am starting to see the truth in your caption.

And yes, slow fishing is all I care to do. I just want something that

will
get me off the bank, out to where the fish are. However, I would like to

get
the hell off the water if a storm blew up. I just might have me a good

$200
trailer.

Thank for your response

I really don't mean to scare you off. As others may attest, once the
boat-bug bites, we tend to spend more than we intended. )

If you do your homework, and legwork, you can find a good engine for
this boat.

noah

Lloyd Sumpter

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:55:53 +0000, John-R W wrote:

"noah" wrote in message

B.O.A.T. - "Break Out Another Thousand" )
"Boat", n., - a hole in the water where you throw your money. þ

Good luck,
noah

I am starting to see the truth in your caption.

And yes, slow fishing is all I care to do. I just want something that will
get me off the bank, out to where the fish are. However, I would like to get
the hell off the water if a storm blew up. I just might have me a good $200
trailer.

Just had a look at the boats around 18ft at the marina - most had under
100hp. One had 50hp, but the boat was pretty light. And as posts in this
NG can show, a NEW engine is no guarantee it will be reliable - you may
get a more reliable engine that 10 or even 20 years old.

I'd go for a 10-year-old 100hp, probably around $2000 or so, and a 10-15hp
kicker to get you home and for trolling (another $700)

Lloyd

Jim

Not only wnat Clams said, but also look at the used boat ads.
Yeah, you may have to dump the hull or perhaps you could sell it
cheap, but someties folks buy boats just for the motors. My
nephew got a great deal on a boat that the previous owner bought
just for the motor and unloaded the hull at a *REALLY* decent
price!

-Jim

Clams Canino wrote:
The more you are willing to travel to get a deal, the better off you will
be.

-W

572

I've got a 1993 Glastron 18ft Fish & Ski with a 90hp Johnson. With just me in
it the boat top speed is about 42mph. The 90 has been more than enought for
the cruising/tubing/fishing that we've done and has not needed any repairs in 10
years. Last year my kids wanted to try skiing and only then with a 3 or more
people in the boat did I wish I have the 150hp. But I also priced them and got
sticker shock since a new 150 is going to pretty much for what I paid for the
entire boat/motor/trailer combo back in 93. I also have concerns about the
newer outboards needing much more in the way of regular servicing (my boat
hasn't seen the dealer since I bought it) So I think an older 90hp or similar
V4 should be fine for your needs. If anyone knows of a deal on a carbed 150hp
OMC, I would be interested as well.

Help with motor id... Jim General 2 August 1st 03 11:07 PM
Trolling motor on a 21 foot boat? F330 GT General 7 July 31st 03 06:00 AM
Trolling motor = need fuse? n0sPaM General 21 July 31st 03 05:28 AM
NO! I think I ruined my motor today HELP! PLEASE Jim General 4 July 8th 03 03:11 PM
How to winterize the motor? M Silver General 3 July 8th 03 02:49 AM