John-R W

Default What Size Motor

Hi All,

First time boat owner, so I don't really know too much about them.

I just got a 1988 Falcon Striper Pro boat. Needs some cleaning up, and some
work done to it, it also needs a motor and controles. My question is what
size motor should I consider putting on it.

I plan to just use it for fishing in the local lakes. We are not interested
in using it to ski or going supper fast. I would like for the motor to have
enough power to get me off the lake quickly in the event of a storm blowing
up.

I realize the boat is rather old, but I made what I think to be a pretty
good deal when I bought it, so I don't have a lot of money tied up in it
right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
John

John-R W

Oops.... forgot to include, it's an 18 footer........

John-R W

Sorry, It's a fiberglass boat.

"Dean" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:44:20 GMT, "John-R W"
wrote:

Oops.... forgot to include, it's an 18 footer........

fiberglass or aluminum?

if aluminum, i would say around 115 should be plenty for basic
cruzing, and pulling a skier. If fiberglass, add 20HP or so to that
reccomendation. Top speeds should be in the 40mph range or so.

-Dean
--
http://ripperd2.dhs.org

Rural Knight

"John-R W" wrote in message
[...]

Anywhere from 50 to 90 is probably acceptable. Might
take a while to get on plane, but with the right prop, that
can be fixed You can also add those Dolfins or whatever
they are called which also help a lot.

As you aren't looking for speed, that's probably what
you are looking at.

However (ain't there always?)

See what the data plate on the boat says - every boat has
and that will tell you what the max is. To be totally safe
and comfortable, put the max engine on the boat that
the data plate says to. You can go 25 under and still
have a boat which will plane quickly, but max is always
the way to go.

Later,

Tom

Tony Thomas

Agreed. Go max. You can always slow down. You can't add more power later.
The savings in cost are not worth the agrivation of not having enough power.

In your case you want power not top speed. Mount the motor all the way down
on the transom, Get a good 4 blade prop and it will jump out of the hole
and run great.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Rural Knight" wrote in message
ink.net...

"John-R W" wrote in message
[...]

Bill Kiene

Hi John,

I think that 80% of max power is OK, but I am one for max power myself.

What is this boat rated for max HP?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Thomas

You can get by w/ the 150 but nothing less. The 125/135/140 (depending on
brand) does not have the torque you will want or need.
The difference in price between the 150 and the 175 is not much and well
worth the extra.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
The tag in the back of the boat says 175 hp, and a max. load of 1300 lbs.

. com...

"John-R W" wrote in message
[...]

Old Swimmer

We have a 130hp 4 stroke with a 4 blade prop on our 18 foot boat (boat only
dry weight 1800lbs). Top speed is about 42mph with 2 adults and a full load
of fuel and gear. It cruises nicely at 3800rpm at 20 knots on salt water. I
have seen the same boat with a 90hp and while the time to get on plane is
longer it still gets there and seems to be adequate with 2 adults on board
(and the owners said they were satisfied). So while I would recommend 130 or
so, you can get by with a little less.

"John-R W" wrote in message
[...]

noah

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:42:48 GMT, "John-R W"
wrote:

Hi All,

First time boat owner, so I don't really know too much about them.

I just got a 1988 Falcon Striper Pro boat. Needs some cleaning up, and some
work done to it, it also needs a motor and controles. My question is what
size motor should I consider putting on it.

I plan to just use it for fishing in the local lakes. We are not interested
in using it to ski or going supper fast. I would like for the motor to have
enough power to get me off the lake quickly in the event of a storm blowing
up.

I realize the boat is rather old, but I made what I think to be a pretty
good deal when I bought it, so I don't have a lot of money tied up in it
right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
John

John- there are others here who advise going with the max hp that your
boat is rated for. Their advice is not wrong. If you have the money
to afford a 175, go for it.

If you are on a tight budget, and have little interest in skiing or
tubing or generally "raising hell", you can use this boat with a
smaller engine. 60 to 70 hp will put this hull on plane, and while
you won't break speed records, will get you to the fishing hole. Your
budget will dictate the horsepower. Better to spend money on a good
engine than a bigger clunker.

It all comes down to what you want to do, and how fast you can afford
to do it.

B.O.A.T. - "Break Out Another Thousand" )
"Boat", n., - a hole in the water where you throw your money. þ

Good luck,
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Help with motor id... Jim General 2 August 1st 03 11:07 PM
Trolling motor on a 21 foot boat? F330 GT General 7 July 31st 03 06:00 AM
Trolling motor = need fuse? n0sPaM General 21 July 31st 03 05:28 AM
NO! I think I ruined my motor today HELP! PLEASE Jim General 4 July 8th 03 03:11 PM
How to winterize the motor? M Silver General 3 July 8th 03 02:49 AM