noah

Default Reading the Clouds

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:50:55 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On 8 Aug 2003 18:37:16 -0500, noah
wrote:
She's in her eighties, lives in the Adirondack Mountains, and has this
rock sitting on the front lawn.

Ahh yes, the "north" country. What day was summer this year? I've
seen it snow in September more than once.

Summer was Tuesday, week before last. )

Glad you're a "fan", it's beautiful country.

When I was a kid, we had a Christmas morning that was 56° below zero.
No bull. You could hear the trees "popping" all night. The sap
freezes and the tree splits with a loud "pop".

Light snow on the 4th of July once. Ruined our first "allowed" swim
of the season. Mom and Dad had no sense of adventure.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Rural Knight

"noah" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:04:16 -0500, Q
wrote:

To all:

A lot of folks have their favorite "telltales" from nature indicating
future weather. Woolly caterpillars are a favorite of country folk.
I found the following regarding clouds:
http://www.americanboating.org/quiz9.htm

Anyone have any other favorite indicators? Minus 10 points for "Red
Sky at night..."

The ruptured disk in my back is pretty good at predicting storms, but
even better is my mother's "Weather rock".

She's in her eighties, lives in the Adirondack Mountains, and has this
rock sitting on the front lawn.

If it's black and shiny, it's raining.
If it's pale gray, it frosted last night.
If it's white, it's snowing, or snowed last night.
If she can't see it: heavy fog or snow.
If it's rolling across the yard, it's time to get the wash off the
clothesline, it's gonna be windy.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I haven't seen that in years - I love it.

Later,

Tom

noah

wrote:

[...]

...."I haven't seen that in years..."

....Uhm,...did Dad know you were lookin' at Mom's "weather rock"?
)
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Wayne.B

On 8 Aug 2003 19:22:12 -0500, noah
wrote:

Summer was Tuesday, week before last. )

Glad you're a "fan", it's beautiful country.

======================================
I grew up in the snow belt south of Lake Ontario where they get 200
inches of snow a year, and then went to college in Potsdam with a lot
of side trips to the Adirondacks. Any excuse would do. Breakfast at
the Miss Tupper diner? Why not - always seemed like a logical
question at 2:00AM after a few beers. It got down to -41 once when I
was in Potsdam and a lot of strange things happened at that
temperature but don't remember any trees splitting. Seems reasonable
though. The transmission grease in my old Ford used to get so thick
that it would sometimes try to take off in neutral, and that was on
the off chance that it would start at all.

Keith

Check out:
http://www.storm-hawk.com/
http://www.wxworx.com/
http://www.wxport.com/

All will show weather, Doppler radar, etc. one even overlays it on your
electronic charts! WFax is starting to look pretty weak.

--

Keith
__
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
I am in the sub tropics so a thunderstorm is an afternoon certainty for

about 6
months of the year. The only question is whether it will come over you.

The
local weather RADAR on cable TV is the best forecaster. I certainly wish
someone would bvroadcast that on an unused UHF channel!!! Then a $69 TV

would
be your weather station.
As it is we make do by watching the strato cumulous formations and

plotting
them against a fixed object to determine the direction of travel. The sun

is
handy for this when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

Rural Knight

news

wrote:

[...]

My Great Grandfather, who was a Midwest farmer all his life,
used to say something similar to that. I hadn't heard it in years -
more than I care to remember actually. :)

Nice to see it again.

Later,

Tom

FRANKWBELL

In article et, "Rural
Knight" writes:

I can also tell if there is a thunderstorm in the area by my Border
Collie Duke Dogge Dog

My black lab does the same. He gets real quiet and sticks right by my side.
More properly, under my feet.

Frank Bell

Jim

It seems that the best indicator of rain, currently in the south,
is change of day.

-Jim

removed