Default Reading the Clouds

To all:

A lot of folks have their favorite "telltales" from nature indicating
future weather. Woolly caterpillars are a favorite of country folk.
I found the following regarding clouds:
http://www.americanboating.org/quiz9.htm

Anyone have any other favorite indicators? Minus 10 points for "Red
Sky at night..."

Gould 0738

Sharp decline in temperature (up this way at least) can be an early indicator
of rain....
even when the sky is relatively cloudless.
RG

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Sharp decline in temperature (up this way at least) can be an early

indicator
of rain....
even when the sky is relatively cloudless.

Jeez, a clock ringing on the hour could be deemed a decent indicator of
imminent rain where you live. Where I live, there are no reliable
indicators of rain. We believe it if and when it finally hits the ground.
Had a pretty good one last Tuesday night. First one in 100 days. And this
is our "monsoon" season.

Rural Knight

"Q" wrote in message
To all:

A lot of folks have their favorite "telltales" from nature indicating
future weather. Woolly caterpillars are a favorite of country folk.
I found the following regarding clouds:
http://www.americanboating.org/quiz9.htm

Anyone have any other favorite indicators? Minus 10 points for "Red
Sky at night..."

When I had a mule (I have a small "farm"), he would turn in circles
if rain was approaching - always to the right. He never did that
unless rain was coming.

I can also tell if there is a thunderstorm in the area by my Border
Collie Duke Dogge Dog - he will come into my office (or garage
or wherever) and stay right by my left side - don't know why, but
that's the way it is.

Later,

Tom

Gfretwell

Collie Duke Dogge Dog - he will come into my office (or garage
or wherever) and stay right by my left side

Auggie Doggie is in my lap ;-)

It would be cute if he was much less than 75 lbs.
Gfretwell

I am in the sub tropics so a thunderstorm is an afternoon certainty for about 6
months of the year. The only question is whether it will come over you. The
local weather RADAR on cable TV is the best forecaster. I certainly wish
someone would bvroadcast that on an unused UHF channel!!! Then a $69 TV would
be your weather station.
As it is we make do by watching the strato cumulous formations and plotting
them against a fixed object to determine the direction of travel. The sun is
handy for this when you are out in the middle of nowhere.
Gould 0738

In Seattle, if you can see the mountain, it's going to rain. If you can't
see the mtn it is raining!

Actually, Mt Tahoma is a an excellent forecaster of rain, all joking aside.

The first clear day that a cloud forms just above the summit is usually the
last day before it begins raining again. No wonder they renamed the moutain
Rainier. It's Rainier here than almost anywhere else.

noah

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:04:16 -0500, Q
wrote:

To all:

A lot of folks have their favorite "telltales" from nature indicating
future weather. Woolly caterpillars are a favorite of country folk.
I found the following regarding clouds:
http://www.americanboating.org/quiz9.htm

Anyone have any other favorite indicators? Minus 10 points for "Red
Sky at night..."

The ruptured disk in my back is pretty good at predicting storms, but
even better is my mother's "Weather rock".

She's in her eighties, lives in the Adirondack Mountains, and has this
rock sitting on the front lawn.

If it's black and shiny, it's raining.
If it's pale gray, it frosted last night.
If it's white, it's snowing, or snowed last night.
If she can't see it: heavy fog or snow.
If it's rolling across the yard, it's time to get the wash off the
clothesline, it's gonna be windy.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Wayne.B

On 8 Aug 2003 18:37:16 -0500, noah
wrote:
She's in her eighties, lives in the Adirondack Mountains, and has this
rock sitting on the front lawn.

Ahh yes, the "north" country. What day was summer this year? I've
seen it snow in September more than once.