Steve Alexanderson

Default Jet boats. Any opinions or experience?

Jetcraft with a 7.4L GM close coupled to a Hamilton 212. Close coupling
eliminates the U-joint and its possible failure points, and makes engine
box smaller. If the neutral no-go position is adjusted properly and wheel is
straight ahead, bucket directs flow down and to out to each side equally so
boat is stationary, or becomes stationary if moving. (The brakes on this
thing are amazing; probably should have seat belts) Turning the wheel at
this point unbalances the side flows so boat will spin around a point very
close to center, with no net forward or reverse movement.

"Netsock" wrote in message
"Steve Alexanderson"
Idon'tlikegreeneggsandspamIdon'tlikethemsamIamsal
wrote in message ...
[snip]

shaft, with no gearing, joints, or cylinders. The steering cable turns

the
nozzle, and the thing that looks like a gear shift controls the bucket,
providing forward/reverse and a no go position that still allows

turning.

What kind of jet boat do you have?

Most, if not all, have a universal joint set between the engine and drive.

Also, please explain how you can turn in a "no go" position.

Later...

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

jim--

wrote in message
Ummmm, before you call people morons, please check out the for who
said what. The "unknowledgeable" original writer (me) is NOT the
person with the political statements. In fact, I think I'm going to
check on some political groups to see if they have a lot of boating
information in them. Don ............

You misunderstood. My comment was directed to one H Krause. He is the
moron.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:37:38 -0400, "jim--" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Due to my requirements of shallow draft, light weight and relatively
plush interior, I find myself looking into jet boats as a likely
purchase. My questions are as follows:

Does "jet boat" mean "jet drive" and what exactly does jet drive

mean?

A gas turbine drives a fan that sucks in air, mixes it with burning
fuel, and then blasts the expanded air-gas mixture out the back.

Because
every action has an equal and opposite reaction, as the air streams
backward the engine is forced forward, taking along its container, so

speak.

Is a jet drive fairly straightforward in maintainability?

Certainly, if you are a trained jet drive mechanic.

Can marine
mechanics in a podunk Florida fishing village work on these?

Yes, but there is a likelihood he will pooch it.

Living on a large sound in the Gulf, just how much wave action can
this boat take before it becomes unsafe?

I'd slow down when waves start coming over the bow. Of course, that's
me. Your gallonage may vary.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you have of this. It is MUCH
appreciated.

Don

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.

You really are a moron.

HLAviation

wrote in message ...
[snip]

shaft, with no gearing, joints, or cylinders. The steering cable turns

the
nozzle, and the thing that looks like a gear shift controls the bucket,
providing forward/reverse and a no go position that still allows

turning.

What kind of jet boat do you have?

Most, if not all, have a universal joint set between the engine and drive.

Also, please explain how you can turn in a "no go" position.

Most of the more advanced pumps have buckets which shoot down and to the
sides(along with forwards), when you turn the nozzel, the side forces get
unbalanced and spin the boat. Often with larger jets the pumps are also
clutched and with multi units they have an option to independently control
the steering per pump.

Netsock

Most of the more advanced pumps have buckets which shoot down and to the
sides(along with forwards), when you turn the nozzel, the side forces get
unbalanced and spin the boat. Often with larger jets the pumps are also
clutched and with multi units they have an option to independently control
the steering per pump.

All my experience has been with big block Berkeley and Dominator pumps.
Those keep a "neutral" by equally maintaining rear, and forward thrust.

A properly set up Berk or Dom will not move in "neutral" no matter what way
the nozzle is pointed.

Oh well...live and learn!

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Calif Bill

"Netsock" wrote in message
[...]

The river jet boats normally run a low pressure pump. Berkeley and Dom are
high pressure. Small nozzle outlet. The Hamilton and earlier Kodiak that I
run are triple impellers in a same size tube. Very little restriction at
the opening. Work better if you lose prime in a set of rapids.
Bill

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Marathon Marine Boats, Mercury Sportjet any opinions? Honest Steve General 2 December 28th 03 06:18 PM
VEC build techniques to become more prevalent Gould 0738 General 0 December 9th 03 02:03 AM
Sea Ray Boats, Mid-Atlantic Dealers Announce Post-Hurricane Recovery Initiatives bomar General 0 October 2nd 03 10:15 PM
Is sailing becoming extinct? Don White General 14 August 12th 03 12:38 AM