HLAviation

Default Jet boats. Any opinions or experience?

I PRESUME that with a jet boat, no flushing at all is necessary
because not much of anything touches the water. ????

Actually, the thing is always in the water since water runs through it. Make
sure all the zincs are kept up with.

As to how I got into the jet boat area, I needed a shallow draft
because I live on St. George Sound in FLorida and the water gets VERY
shallow, more draft than a foot would not allow me to moor a boat
within 1000 feet of my house.

Operating with less than 12" between the pump inlet and the bottom will lead
to early pump erosion.

My only problem has been wondering why ALL boats are not
jet boats - because it seems that the advantage of not having a
propeller to get wrecked and needing to be maintained would be a
no-brainer. So, I KNEW there were some disadvantages that I was not
aware of - such as stability, longevity, maintainability, size
limitations, etc.

Efficiency is a major factor. You have an efficiency loss with a pump. Just
because you don't have a prop to destry doesn't mean you don't have an
impeller to destroy. You catch a piece of line on a prop, and most likely
you just have to cut it off, you suck it into the pump and it may cost you a
couple thousand. My favorite choice of drive for shallow water is a surface
piercing prop like an Arneson. Every drive system has its advantages and
disadvantages (except I/O, I can't figure an advantage to that one), you
just have to figure which works best for your situation and try to work
within the systems limitations.

TunaBote

I had a 21' jet with a 396 Chevy. It was HEAVY. Jet pump that blows water
out the back, like a giant jet ski.

wrote in message
Due to my requirements of shallow draft, light weight and relatively
plush interior, I find myself looking into jet boats as a likely
purchase. My questions are as follows:

Does "jet boat" mean "jet drive" and what exactly does jet drive mean?

Is a jet drive fairly straightforward in maintainability? Can marine
mechanics in a podunk Florida fishing village work on these?

Living on a large sound in the Gulf, just how much wave action can
this boat take before it becomes unsafe?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you have of this. It is MUCH
appreciated.

Don

Calif Bill

"HLAviation" wrote in message
ink.net...
Jet's are simple and straight forward. Avoid extreme shallow water
operations as you'll suck up sand and what not and ruin the impellor. The
stability is a factor of the hull form, not the drive.

wrote in message
Due to my requirements of shallow draft, light weight and relatively
plush interior, I find myself looking into jet boats as a likely
purchase. My questions are as follows:

Does "jet boat" mean "jet drive" and what exactly does jet drive mean?

Is a jet drive fairly straightforward in maintainability? Can marine
mechanics in a podunk Florida fishing village work on these?

Living on a large sound in the Gulf, just how much wave action can
this boat take before it becomes unsafe?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you have of this. It is MUCH
appreciated.

Don

Shallow and sand does not destroy the impeller depending on the pump. The
Kodiak and Hamilton pumps are all stainless impellers. You may eat up the
cutlass bearings with sand flow. As to repair on these pumps, is very easy.
But the problem for you may be the cost of the boats. The top aluminum
river (about 2" draft at speed) and the deeper vee models (about 8" draft
and 12" of draft at anchor) are the $35-45K price for them. Look at Boice
jets and Willy boats and Alumaweld boats.
Bill

Netsock

Due to my requirements of shallow draft, light weight and relatively
plush interior, I find myself looking into jet boats as a likely
purchase. My questions are as follows:

Does "jet boat" mean "jet drive" and what exactly does jet drive mean?

A jet drive, or jet boat propelles itself by sucking water (from the bottom
of the hull), pressurizes it, and "squirts" it out a directional nozzle.

It generally does not mean a gas turbine powered boat, like mine seen he
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Is a jet drive fairly straightforward in maintainability? Can marine
mechanics in a podunk Florida fishing village work on these?

Like all drive systems, the worker needs experience on that drive. However,
it should be noted...jet drives are the least complex drive systems for any
motorized boat. A standard jet drive (no trim) has 3 moving parts...the
impellor/shaft, the nozzle, and the cup.

Jet drives are also the least expensive drive to install, and also allow a
very shallow draft.

They are also the safest drive. With no exposed prop, jet drives have been
know to run over things...including people...with no harm to either.

Down sides are as follows...

Even the best jet drives, are only 90% efficient compared to their prop
cousins.

Jet drives perform best with a high-torque engines, generally making them
less fuel efficient than any other drive system.

Soft or spongy steering. Steering in a jet is not as accurate and precise as
an out-drive or rudder, especially at slow speeds.

Loss of control with no power. Like a jet-ski, jet drive boats lose steering
capabilities with no engine power.

Living on a large sound in the Gulf, just how much wave action can
this boat take before it becomes unsafe?

Jet drives are generally impractical on hulls bigger than 25', but it's
going to depend on your freeboard and deadrise. Typically, jet boats have a
very shallow deadrise, and low freeboard, but there are exceptions...I have
seen some pretty big jet day cruisers that could handle 2-3' rollers all day
long.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you have of this. It is MUCH
appreciated.

Don

Hope this helps...good luck.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Calif Bill

"Netsock" wrote in message
[...]

Correct except for the size boat. Lots of fast ferry boats are jet drive.
The Golden Gate ferries in San Francisco bay and I rode the "Fast Ferry"
from Barcelona to Majorca. 97 meters long, 800 passengers, 300 cars and a
few semi's. 47 knots and 38,500 HP. We had to slow down to maybe 40 coming
back as there were 10' swells in the Mediterranean.

Steve Alexanderson

Others have addressed the drive. Here is my take on maintainability. Imagine
the power path of a stern drive. Horizontal out of the engine, then turn
downwards through a fully articulating joint (left right, up down). Enter
the gear box and turn again while providing direction reversal. Add to this
a hydraulic or electric system to provide power tilt/trim. The power path on
my boat is: horizontal out of the engine, period. Impeller is on the engine
shaft, with no gearing, joints, or cylinders. The steering cable turns the
nozzle, and the thing that looks like a gear shift controls the bucket,
providing forward/reverse and a no go position that still allows turning.

The jet is the SUV of boats. Like using four wheel drive, I don't run
shallow all the time; but nice to have the capability when needed. The tides
were all wrong for boating in the river yesterday. We went anyway.

Disadvantages are lost efficiency and insurance agents who believe Harry
Krause.
wrote in message
Due to my requirements of shallow draft, light weight and relatively
plush interior, I find myself looking into jet boats as a likely
purchase. My questions are as follows:

Does "jet boat" mean "jet drive" and what exactly does jet drive mean?

Is a jet drive fairly straightforward in maintainability? Can marine
mechanics in a podunk Florida fishing village work on these?

Living on a large sound in the Gulf, just how much wave action can
this boat take before it becomes unsafe?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you have of this. It is MUCH
appreciated.

Don

Netsock

"Steve Alexanderson"
Idon'tlikegreeneggsandspamIdon'tlikethemsamIamsal
wrote in message ...
[snip]

shaft, with no gearing, joints, or cylinders. The steering cable turns the
nozzle, and the thing that looks like a gear shift controls the bucket,
providing forward/reverse and a no go position that still allows turning.

What kind of jet boat do you have?

Most, if not all, have a universal joint set between the engine and drive.

Also, please explain how you can turn in a "no go" position.

Later...

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Ummmm, before you call people morons, please check out the for who
said what. The "unknowledgeable" original writer (me) is NOT the
person with the political statements. In fact, I think I'm going to
check on some political groups to see if they have a lot of boating
information in them. Don ............

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:37:38 -0400, "jim--" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Due to my requirements of shallow draft, light weight and relatively
plush interior, I find myself looking into jet boats as a likely
purchase. My questions are as follows:

Does "jet boat" mean "jet drive" and what exactly does jet drive mean?

A gas turbine drives a fan that sucks in air, mixes it with burning
fuel, and then blasts the expanded air-gas mixture out the back. Because
every action has an equal and opposite reaction, as the air streams
backward the engine is forced forward, taking along its container, so to
speak.

Is a jet drive fairly straightforward in maintainability?

Certainly, if you are a trained jet drive mechanic.

Can marine
mechanics in a podunk Florida fishing village work on these?

Yes, but there is a likelihood he will pooch it.

Living on a large sound in the Gulf, just how much wave action can
this boat take before it becomes unsafe?

I'd slow down when waves start coming over the bow. Of course, that's
me. Your gallonage may vary.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you have of this. It is MUCH
appreciated.

Don

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.

You really are a moron.

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Marathon Marine Boats, Mercury Sportjet any opinions? Honest Steve General 2 December 28th 03 06:18 PM
VEC build techniques to become more prevalent Gould 0738 General 0 December 9th 03 02:03 AM
Sea Ray Boats, Mid-Atlantic Dealers Announce Post-Hurricane Recovery Initiatives bomar General 0 October 2nd 03 10:15 PM
Is sailing becoming extinct? Don White General 14 August 12th 03 12:38 AM