BoatBanter.com

-   -   Why the word "dead" is not used in the context of deduced navigation (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5615-why-word-%22dead%22-not-used-context-deduced-navigation.html)

JAXAshby July 19th 04 12:25 AM

Why the word "dead" is not used in the context of deduced navigation

The following of some of the definitions of the word "dead" and each shows why
the word is not used in the context of the guestimated, vague navigation called
Ded(uced) Reckoning:

Exact; unerring. the dead center of a target

Absolutely; altogether: You can be dead sure of my innocence.

Directly; exactly: There's a gas station dead ahead.

[In golf], a ball is said to lie dead when it lies so near the hole that the
player is certain to hole it in the next stroke.

Dead ahead (Naut.), directly ahead; -- said of a ship or any object, esp. of
the wind when blowing from that point toward which a vessel would go.

Dead Center (Mach.), either of two points in the orbit of a crank, at which
the crank and connecting rod lie a straight line. It corresponds to the end of
a stroke; as, A and B are dead centers of the crank mechanism in which the
crank C drives, or is driven by, the lever L.

Dead heat, a heat or course between two or more race horses, boats, etc., in
which they come out exactly equal, so that neither wins.

unerringly accurate; "a dead shot"; "took dead aim"

sudden and complete; "came to a dead stop"

completely and without qualification; used informally as intensifiers; "an
absolutely magnificent painting"; "a perfectly idiotic idea"; "you're perfectly
right"; "utterly miserable"; "you can be dead sure of my innocence"; "was dead
tired"; "dead right"

well, maybe those who don't know the meaning of the word "dead" might use it in
some weird fashion, but they don't count.

Harry Krause July 19th 04 12:37 AM

JAXAshby wrote:

[...]

While "ded" reckoning is proper usage, so is "dead" reckoning:

dead reckoning.

The estimation of a ship's position from the distance run by the log and
the courses steered by the compass, with corrections for current,
leeway, etc., but without astronomical observations. Hence dead latitude
(q.v.), that computed by dead reckoning.

1613 M. Ridley Magn. Bodies 147 Keeping a true, not a dead reckoning of
his course. 1760 Pemberton in Phil. Trans. LI. 911 The latitude
exhibited by the dead reckoning of the ship. 1840 R. H. Dana Bef. Mast
xxxii. 124 We had drifted too much to allow of our dead reckoning being
anywhere near the mark. 1891 Nature 3 Sept., The log, which for the
first time enabled the mariner to carry out his dead-reckoning with
confidence, is first described in Bourne's ‘Regiment for the Sea’, which
was published in 1577. 1917 Bosanquet & Campbell Navigation for Aerial
Navigators i. 4 In aerial navigation+Dead Reckoning is the position
arrived at as calculated from the estimated track and the estimated
speed made good over the ground. Ibid. 5 These data enable us to find a
Dead Reckoning position. 1935 C. G. Burge Compl. Bk. Aviation 477/1
Dead reckoning+is a compromise between pilotage and navigation. 1868
Lowell Witchcraft Prose Wks. 1890 II. 372 The mind, when it sails by
dead reckoning+will sometimes bring up in strange latitudes.

None of these sources, Jax, have your knowledge of navigating the
world's great oceans in a clapped-out little 26' daysailer, as you
do...but, nonetheless...

John Doe July 19th 04 12:50 AM

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
JAXAshby wrote:

[...]

My compliments Harry. A very well thought out and documented On Topic post.

Too bad you won't see this since I am killfiled :)

Gould 0738 July 19th 04 12:51 AM

Why the word "dead" is not used in the context of deduced navigation

(I think somebody is taking a beginning nav course. Will probably need it if
stepping up from the cartop sail board)

Two references:

From the Dictionary of Nautical Literacy, published by International Marine ( a
division of McGraw-Hill)

Dead reckoning: The process of determining the position of a vessel by tracking
course and speed for a given time.
From the phrase, "deduced reckoning", the plot is called a "DR".

According to this source, Jax is half right. The process is called "dead
reckoning", but the hypothetical plot it produces can be called a "deduced
reckoning."

Then there's another source that indicates neither side of the argument has an
absolute leg to stand on:

From "The Sailor's Illustrated Dictionary"

dead reckoning (DR): The determining of a position by course, speed, and time
elapsed, but without a fix. A DR position is shownon the chart with a half
cirlce and a dot and the time the vessel was calculated to be in the position.
With any other information included, such as wind and current, it is called an
estimated position.
The term "dead reckoning" comes from "deduced reckoning" or "ded. reckoning",
which later became "dead reckoning."

According to this source, the hypotheticaly correct term realy is ded.
reckoning, (short for deduced). Unlike an assertion that anybody who knew squat
about navigation would never say "dead reckoning", those who are exposed to the
practice on an actual basis, in the real world rather than by reading about
boating, have probably never heard the technique called anything
except "dead reckoning."

John Doe July 19th 04 01:02 AM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
(I think somebody is taking a beginning nav course. Will probably need it

if
stepping up from the cartop sail board)

Two references:

From the Dictionary of Nautical Literacy, published by International

Marine ( a
division of McGraw-Hill)

Dead reckoning: The process of determining the position of a vessel by

tracking
course and speed for a given time.
From the phrase, "deduced reckoning", the plot is called a "DR".

According to this source, Jax is half right. The process is called "dead
reckoning", but the hypothetical plot it produces can be called a "deduced
reckoning."

Then there's another source that indicates neither side of the argument

has an
absolute leg to stand on:

From "The Sailor's Illustrated Dictionary"

[...]

Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

Best regards

JAXAshby July 19th 04 01:12 AM

Why the word "dead" is not used in the context of deduced navigation

sorry, dood, but hoary is repeating phonetic misinterpretations of ancient
words. like that if it makes you feel better, but DR is not, can not be, "dead
on".

JAXAshby July 19th 04 01:15 AM

Why the word "dead" is not used in the context of deduced navigation

Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

oh yeah, and there is a HUGE difference in the output between Ded and Dead
Reckoning. those who use ded rec are knowledgeable as to its uncertainties,
while those who use dead rec are about to now, or will sometime in the future,
hit the rocks. Assuming they sail at all.

Harry Krause July 19th 04 01:20 AM

JAXAshby wrote:

[...]

Nice try, dipstick, but the sources I quoted are quite real, unlike the
imaginary gremlins that occupy your synapses. Ded or Dead is proper. If
you want to compare your education in and experience with etymology to
mine, why, you go right ahead. My master's degree in English is really
in etymology, and, as part of the requirements, I worked for two
semesters as an editor and project director of the National Union
Catalog, a project that involved alphabetizing and organizing the entire
card catalogue of the Library of Congress.

The definition I posted is from the second edition of the OED. There's
no knowledge you have that trumps the OED.

Harry Krause July 19th 04 01:22 AM

JAXAshby wrote:

Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

oh yeah, and there is a HUGE difference in the output between Ded and Dead
Reckoning. those who use ded rec are knowledgeable as to its uncertainties,
while those who use dead rec are about to now, or will sometime in the future,
hit the rocks. Assuming they sail at all.

Give it up, Jax. You've got a ****ty little clapped out daysailer, and
probably couldn't navigate from Milford to Port Jefferson on a bright
sunny day with the Port Jeff stacks puffing.