Harry Krause

Default A Deadly Monster Aboard Your Boat

Steve Daniels wrote:
On 18 Jul 2004 14:00:07 GMT, something compelled
(JAXAshby), to say:

dood, *you* posted the number. please back it up, or give it up.

This asshole would argue with an anchor.

The anchor would win.

Gary Warner

"John Smith" wrote in message
Jax and Harry seem to use the exact same debate tactics

Not quite. Harry at least has some wit & style.

Harry Krause

Gary Warner wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
Jax and Harry seem to use the exact same debate tactics

Not quite. Harry at least has some wit & style.

Actually, I have quite a bit, but there's no reason to waste much of it
here.
Wayne.B

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:29:39 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:
Gary Warner wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
Jax and Harry seem to use the exact same debate tactics

Not quite. Harry at least has some wit & style.

Actually, I have quite a bit, but there's no reason to waste much of it
here.

====================================

Maybe we should start awarding wit points and style points as separate
categories, and then tabulate by on topic/off topic. Harry wins off
topic for either category in my opinion although Chuck threatens for
style points. Now we need some serious "on topic" contributors -- wit
and style optional.

Rod McInnis

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

300 people die each year by falling off a boat and drowning. If one

person a
decade dies of CO poisoning on a boat, it is a whole lot less of a worry.

Jax, I know you love to argue the pure logic of any point and I would never
want to be on a debate opposite you. But now is not the time to nit pick
details.

CO poisoning is real. Boating happens to have a greater exposure to the
risks simply because the enclosed hull can trap the CO.

I have known people (personally) that have died of CO poisoning. The best
man in my wedding was a single father because his wife died of it.

CO kill people, and it is so easily prevented. Please, put aside the
arguments on minor details and support the basic concept. Some people have
to be told repeatedly before it sinks in.

As far as CO detectors, there is one in particular that I would like to
recommend to everyone. It is made by Senco Sensors, in Canada:
http://www.sencosensors.com/

Most CO detectors are 110 volt operated with a battery backup. Very few
have a display that will show you exactly what the level is. The unit from
Senco Sensors is the exception. I have had one of these for a number of
years and they work great! The battery lasts a year or more and the display
is very informative. It will be reading zero, and I will turn the stove on
and it will quickly start to register a small amount. Start the engines and
it will jump a fair amount.

I have taken my CO detector aboard my friend' s boat who swore up and down
that they didn't have any worries about CO. They were a bit surprised when
the CO readings started reaching up to the 60 ppm. Note that the alarm level
isn't until 70 ppm is reached.

Rod McInnis

Wayne.B

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:54:46 -0700, "Rod McInnis"
wrote:
As far as CO detectors, there is one in particular that I would like to
recommend to everyone. It is made by Senco Sensors, in Canada:
http://www.sencosensors.com/

I've had a Senco for 4 years and it's a good unit. We've used it on
the boat in the summer, and when we lived north, took it home and used
it in the house over the winter. Very reliable. Several times it
picked up low levels on our old boat due to "station wagon" effect.
Ventilating the cabin would immediately clear the alarm.

For a cheaper, battery powered unit, Costco sells a model by First
Alert for about $25.