Rod McInnis

Default A Deadly Monster Aboard Your Boat

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

300 people die each year by falling off a boat and drowning. If one

person a
decade dies of CO poisoning on a boat, it is a whole lot less of a worry.

Jax, I know you love to argue the pure logic of any point and I would never
want to be on a debate opposite you. But now is not the time to nit pick
details.

CO poisoning is real. Boating happens to have a greater exposure to the
risks simply because the enclosed hull can trap the CO.

I have known people (personally) that have died of CO poisoning. The best
man in my wedding was a single father because his wife died of it.

CO kill people, and it is so easily prevented. Please, put aside the
arguments on minor details and support the basic concept. Some people have
to be told repeatedly before it sinks in.

As far as CO detectors, there is one in particular that I would like to
recommend to everyone. It is made by Senco Sensors, in Canada:
http://www.sencosensors.com/

Most CO detectors are 110 volt operated with a battery backup. Very few
have a display that will show you exactly what the level is. The unit from
Senco Sensors is the exception. I have had one of these for a number of
years and they work great! The battery lasts a year or more and the display
is very informative. It will be reading zero, and I will turn the stove on
and it will quickly start to register a small amount. Start the engines and
it will jump a fair amount.

I have taken my CO detector aboard my friend' s boat who swore up and down
that they didn't have any worries about CO. They were a bit surprised when
the CO readings started reaching up to the 60 ppm. Note that the alarm level
isn't until 70 ppm is reached.

Rod McInnis