Tom Hooper

Default quietest outboards, some details.

Looking to power a 17 to 19 shallow V scow bow open boat, ply or alum (I
know it's noisy). I guess that means 4 stroke, 25 to 35 hp. Not going off
shore, just rivers and swamps. Want to cruise around with scaring away the
scenery or losing friends. Normally canoe, and love quiet watercraft.
Thanks.
Tom

Billgran

"Tom Hooper" wrote in message
Looking to power a 17 to 19 shallow V scow bow open boat, ply or alum

(I
know it's noisy). I guess that means 4 stroke, 25 to 35 hp. Not going

off
shore, just rivers and swamps. Want to cruise around with scaring away

the
scenery or losing friends. Normally canoe, and love quiet watercraft.
Thanks.
Tom

Tom,

You might want to check out the Evinrude E-TEC outboards in the 40-50hp
class. They are as quiet as a 4 stroke, there is no smoke orof mixing oil,
they do not need expensive oil changes and ridiculously priced oil filters.
They also do not use rubber timing belts that could bend valves when they
break, and are expensive to replace. There are no valves to burn, rust or
stick, and they do not need the cost of labor and a gasket for periodic
adjustments.

They come with a full 3 year warranty that does not lower coverage after 1
year as with some other brands.

The E-TEC does not need any dealer service for 3 years or 300 hours in
regular use. Some 4 strokes need oil changes every 6 months, plus again for
the 10 hr. check.

I've run these and am impressed with how quiet they are. They've been
produced since last year and are working well. One nice thing is that they
do not need a battery to run. They rope start within 1 revolution and the
ignition system does not need a battery to run like the 4 strokes do in
your horsepower range. If you are interested in clean air, the E-TECs have a
lower emission rating and emit fewer total emissions than the same size 4
stroke motor.

For more info, go to www.Evinrude.com

Bill Grannis
service manager

Scott W.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:40:19 GMT, "Billgran"
wrote:

You might want to check out the Evinrude E-TEC outboards in the 40-50hp
class. They are as quiet as a 4 stroke, there is no smoke orof mixing oil,

....... snip.......

You make many very good points and answered some questions I had been
pondering. Are they available in long shaft with a tiller handle?
Thanks,

Scott W.
Billgran

wrote:

You might want to check out the Evinrude E-TEC outboards in the 40-50hp
class. They are as quiet as a 4 stroke, there is no smoke orof mixing

oil,
...... snip.......

You make many very good points and answered some questions I had been
pondering. Are they available in long shaft with a tiller handle?
Thanks,

Scott W.

Evinrude has a tiller long shaft 40hp E-TEC available, or you can add the
E-TEC tiller arm kit to other models.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Harry Krause

wrote:

You might want to check out the Evinrude E-TEC outboards in the 40-50hp
class. They are as quiet as a 4 stroke, there is no smoke orof mixing

oil,
...... snip.......

You make many very good points and answered some questions I had been
pondering. Are they available in long shaft with a tiller handle?
Thanks,

Scott W.

Evinrude has a tiller long shaft 40hp E-TEC available, or you can add the
E-TEC tiller arm kit to other models.

Bill Grannis
service manager

A tiller 40 hp? Is there some sort of steering assist built into it?

Garth Almgren

Around 7/19/2004 3:55 PM, Harry Krause wrote:

Billgran wrote:

Evinrude has a tiller long shaft 40hp E-TEC available, or you can add the
E-TEC tiller arm kit to other models.

A tiller 40 hp? Is there some sort of steering assist built into it?

That's nothin'. Some time ago, I saw two tiller-controlled outboards on
the same day that I still hardly believe actually exist: IIRC, a 200 and
a 175. One was a jet, but the other was propped.

I can't even imagine what it'd be like to try and muscle those beasts
into a tight turn.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Billgran

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

A tiller 40 hp? Is there some sort of steering assist built into it?

Harry,

Up north in walleye country there are a lot of V4 tiller rigs in use on the
back of 18-20' boats.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Harry Krause

Billgran wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

A tiller 40 hp? Is there some sort of steering assist built into it?

Harry,

Up north in walleye country there are a lot of V4 tiller rigs in use on the
back of 18-20' boats.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Wow....the biggest tiller motor I ever drove was a 25 hp Big Twin in the
1950s, and it was a bear.
Scott W.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:52:27 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:
A tiller 40 hp? Is there some sort of steering assist built into it?

Harry,
Up north in walleye country there are a lot of V4 tiller rigs in use on the
back of 18-20' boats.

Bill Grannis

Wow....the biggest tiller motor I ever drove was a 25 hp Big Twin in the
1950s, and it was a bear.

Right now I've got a 12.5 ft. Zodiac with a 25 on it. No problems
handling that. I'm looking at a 15 footer but want to see what's
available for power before buying it. Its rated for 50 hp, but due to
the small size and my need for full cargo space, I want a tiller. The
E tec 40, 50 and 60 are all the same motor re. bore/stroke/weight,
etc. If I'm going to put an E tec on it, I might as well go with the
50 since there's no more weight on the transom than with the 40.
A dealer told me yesterday that the 40 is the only one available with
a tiller. Is there something he doesn't know? Would you have to buy
the full remote kit, plus the add on tiller?

Scott W.
Harry Krause

K. Smith wrote:

Billgran wrote:
"Tom Hooper" wrote in message

[...]

They also carry the original Ficht design fault forward & will fail
just as Ficht did & for the very same reasons.

They will be quiet when the powerhead is destroyed by detonation, that
much might be correct:-)

The wind blew, the crap, flew, and Karen Smith emerged out from under
the rock where she was hiding. Karen Smith has *never seen* an Evinrude
E-Tec outboard, or, probably, any other modern technology outboard. Period.

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.

First Day Pictures Link & Some Details Gary Warner General 11 July 21st 04 07:44 PM
Mercury outboards have delicate carbs? Rod McInnis General 1 April 9th 04 02:45 AM
Horsepower Old vs New Outboards ? Bob La Londe General 2 March 14th 04 06:25 AM
Rank Outboards Al Kubeluis General 5 February 20th 04 10:55 PM
1980's era Chrysler outboards Mike General 5 September 28th 03 05:28 PM