Gary Warner

Default Anyone know about voltage regulators ??

Our boat has a generator (instead of an altenator) and
a voltage regulator. The VR is putting out very low
voltage. I believe it can be adjusted. I might also just
buy one. But I'd like to learn about them anyway.

It would be great if anyone knows of a web-site
or book that describes how these work.

Some specific questions:

+ There are "Field" and "Armature" connections that
run to (from?) the generator. What do these do?
I'm guessing they are some type of "feedback" loop
with the generator?

+ I've been told that one must "polarize" the voltage
regulator. There are some faded instructions on the
top of my VR for this. But what does it do and when
must it be done?

+ If I decide to just buy a new voltage-regulator...
my current one is "mechanical" in that it has coils
and "points type" contacts that move. Do they
now make solid state voltage gerulators where
all of this is done with circuits in silicon??

OK, thanks for any help, tips, info., etc.

Gary

Gary Warner

"John Wentworth" wrote in message
Go to http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/vreg.htm

That's intersting both about the regulators and about the submarine
information. Thanks.

Derek

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:03:40 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

[...]

Years ago I had a VW Kombi/micrbus with such an animal.
When it died I replaced it with a solid state one, which was identical
in physical size, and worked perfectly. They are out there....eBay???

From what I remember, generators only produce a charging voltage above
certain r.p.m.'s. Once the 12 or 13 volts is available, it pulls in
the one relay, making this available the the batteries. I'm guessing
here, but I think the second relay is connected to the battery, and if
the battery voltage is below say 12 Volts, this relay closes.
Simplified, if the battery is low and there is say 13 Volts or more
from the generator, both relays close and charging takes place.

Merc 470 voltage Randy Ross General 7 July 16th 04 10:43 PM
voltage regulator SaladinoJA General 0 June 10th 04 12:46 PM
voltage regulator SaladinoJA General 8 June 9th 04 05:54 PM
Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
cross-battery voltage Charles T. Low General 9 November 10th 03 10:34 PM